Troubleshooting & Technical Questions & Modifications Have technical or modification questions about the Crossfire? Find out the answer, or give advice in here!

2004 Crossfire Beginning to have problems

Old 05-22-2015, 01:54 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 2004 Crossfire Beginning to have problems

Hi, I'm a new member and just wanted to share my new experiences with my 2004 Crossfire. By the way I have had it since 2004. Just starting to have problems.

Let me start by saying I absolutely LOVE MY CAR! It is now 2015 and I still get asked what kind of car is that, is it just out this year. My silver bullet is aging timelessly on the outside, but her age is starting to show on the inside. But hearing her described as exotic, I guess it is expected that she will have unique challenges.

Lately I have experienced some of the issues that I have seen in other posts, such as:

Car shutting off in the middle of traffic while driving - I'm going to try and replace the crankshaft position sensor as suggested.

Siren going off while driving or just randomly while parked - I'm going to disconnect or replace the battery in the siren, haven't decided the best method yet.

My latest obstacle is the steering wheel column locking and not releasing while turning the key at the same time. After reading the post it appears that it may be in the cylinder housing, I spoke to a luxury car repair shop who was reluctant to take it due to he not thinking his shop will have the necessary coding to re-code the key which he thinks from talking to me may be the issue, but also thinks that it could be several modules gone bad, no way of knowing until they change every module until it works, which he says will be costly which I'm not looking for someone to guess at my problem!

When I came across this forum, I found members who were passionate about the crossfire and had previous issues, so I want to ensure that I share my experiences and resolutions to help other who may experience some of the same problems or new problems.

This forum is important to the Crossfire owner for several reasons. This morning when I couldn't get my steering column to engage, I decided as soon as I got it to engage I would go straight to the dealership service department, off I went. They denied service at the Chrysler dealer, I called the Mercedes dealer, they denied servicing the car, I drove to a Ford dealership just for the hell of it, I asked the service guy did he know any service departments with a Certified Technician for the Chrysler Crossfire, he called around, he found one guy in a neighboring city, a 45 min. drive for me. I called their service department who told me they had 1 tech. and he was also their diesel tech, I was told to drop the car off they don't offer appointments and it will be 2-3 days before they could look at it. This is how I ended up on this forum, looking for alternative solutions.

The guy at the foreign car repair shop called me back and asked me to use a different key, I explained I had tried both keys, he suggested that I go to a local hardware and purchase an ignition spray to see if this will alleviate the problem, so I'm off to see if this will work.

The moral to this story is the reality of finding someone to fix my beautiful girl is becoming non-existent.

Does anyone know why the dashboard will stay lit after the car is off, and why the seats won't move from time to time, I know it's electrical, but wondering if someone may have had this issue and what was the resolve?

So to all I ask that you keep posting useful resolutions to your Crossfire issues. I will post my results and findings! It's a pleasure to be a part of a group of passionate Crossfire owners!! Enjoy your day!

Last edited by tashcha; 05-22-2015 at 01:59 PM.
Old 05-22-2015, 02:14 PM
Received 534 Likes on 451 Posts
Default Re: 2004 Crossfire Beginning to have problems

Welcome, 11years late on finding the forum but what the heck.
I would write your problems downin a list and post the list as it will be simpler to see them.
The key problem is an easy fix, forget the hardware store. It should be an hour to fix and no cost. The stalling is probably an easy fix as well.
Write the list and each one will be answered.

Old 05-22-2015, 02:19 PM

LoL 180, that the same thing they said when I joined facebook.

- Car shutting off in the middle of traffic while driving
- Siren going off while driving or just randomly while parked
- Steering wheel column locking and not releasing while turning the key at the same time
- Dashboard will stay lit after the car is off
- Seats won't move from time to time

Old 05-22-2015, 02:22 PM
Received 15 Likes on 14 Posts

Does the car crank after dying? Or nothing when trying to start?

Here's a link (click on it) on the key fix.. maybe your foreign car guy can read this and do if your not comfortable with it..

https://www.crossfireforum.org/forum...ru-2006-a.html

Old 05-22-2015, 02:24 PM

After a few mins. it will start again, the problem presents itself every couple of months, it's not consistent. I'm going to review the link. Thanks.

Old 05-22-2015, 02:25 PM

Does the starter work but engine not firing or "nothing" for a few minutes?

Old 05-22-2015, 02:28 PM

Correct the starter works but the engine is not firing.

The car will appear as it is on with no problems, and it is hard to tell that you are not actually engaging the throttle until you hear the engine revving up, but realize your not moving.

Old 05-22-2015, 02:33 PM

See "video RCM" in my signature.. "click" on it too..

Top right hand corner on that video has link to full thread on the subject..

Old 05-22-2015, 02:34 PM

Ok, thanks.

Old 05-22-2015, 02:53 PM

Just finished looking at the video, I'm going to pull the RCM to see if there is any damage to it.

Old 05-22-2015, 03:47 PM

Here's an extreme solution to all your problems.... there is a Crossfires Across America meeting in Eureka Springs, Arkansas starting on June 14th for 5 days. Get yourself and your car there at the host hotel, and we can get you going. No labor cost involved. LOL Just sayin ..... Someone give her a link to the CAA6 meet.
BTW... unless you have a magnifying glass you may not be able to see the defective soldering involved. So don't look for visible damage (Unless you damage it in the process). Also how old is your battery?

Last edited by IBLUBYU; 05-22-2015 at 03:52 PM.
Old 05-22-2015, 04:00 PM
Received 61 Likes on 49 Posts

Originally Posted by tashcha
Correct the starter works but the engine is not firing.
WELCOME TO THE FORUM!

If the car cranks but won't start, that most likely is the Crankshaft Position Sensor. Click this link...

https://www.crossfireforum.org/forum...on-sensor.html

Old 05-22-2015, 04:05 PM

Originally Posted by tighed1
WELCOME TO THE FORUM!

If the car cranks but won't start, that most likely is the Crankshaft Position Sensor. Click this link...

We might have to change our way of thinking on this "set in stone" theory with the fuel relays having issues.. I just suggested the RCM since it has been going on a while.. and I think rarely does the CPS act up for long without going completely out. But on the flip side.. if the CPS hasn't been changed out in a while.. this is great preventative maintenance..

Old 05-22-2015, 04:45 PM

Thanks Tighed1 for the welcome and thanks for the info.

Old 05-22-2015, 04:47 PM

Yeah, I was thinking maintenance as well, I have done basic maintenance but nothing major. So I believe if it isn't the issue, it will still be something I should look at.

Old 05-22-2015, 04:50 PM

The battery is a few months old. I was actually stuck at a store when you posted, sweating as if I were in a waterfall because the steering column would not unlock, I looked at your post to relieve the anxiety I was having at the moment and wanted to laugh but was entirely too hot to enjoy the LOL.

Old 05-22-2015, 04:58 PM

In addition to other issues, has anyone had issues with the wing deploying, mine has not worked for years so I had disabled so that it could stay down.

Old 05-22-2015, 06:31 PM
Administrator
Received 878 Likes on 684 Posts

The wing acting up is often a weak battery. If you changed the battery since pulling the fuse, put the fuse back in, it may be ok now.

The seat thing is likely bad contacts on the Power Seat Relay. I saw a link to the part a few days ago, can't remember where now.
It costs around $35 and if it fails, both seats fail. It is located under the dash and is a bit hard to get to, from what I understand.

Old 05-22-2015, 08:37 PM

Thanks pizzaguy.

Old 05-23-2015, 07:51 PM
Received 54 Likes on 43 Posts

Originally Posted by tighed1
WELCOME TO THE FORUM!

Ditto on the crank position sensor. Had the same problem with my coupe and changing the CPS fixed it.

Quick Reply: 2004 Crossfire Beginning to have problems