General This section is threads for discussion that is not related to the Crossfire or other cars. It can be about sports, movies etc. - But NO POLITICS please
View Poll Results: If you could do it over again, which would you choose?
Chrysler Crossfire
69.57%
Lotus Elise
30.43%
Voters: 46. You may not vote on this poll

Choices: Crossfire vs. Lotus Elise

Old 04-07-2004, 11:13 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Choices: Crossfire vs. Lotus Elise

We all know the new Elise is coming to the US and the numbers look good. Pricing should be between $38k and $45k and the car is expected to have 0-60 numbers under 5 seconds. I love the way both cars look, but the driving experiences are significantly different (I equate the Lotus's ride more with a Caterham 7 than an SLK320).

Old 04-07-2004, 11:46 PM
Forum Regular

Didn't they put the Toyota Celica engine in the Elise? I would not buy an Elise unless it at least had a Honda K20A2 engine in it. The REGENESIS Mazda Rotary engine would be really nice, too....

I'd go with the Crossfire. Speed is unimportant if women don't like the harsh ride. I'd rather have a woman in the passenger seat than my back glued to the driver's seat. The former is far more thrilling ;-)

Old 04-15-2004, 08:33 AM

only 10 votes? c'mon, guys!

Old 04-15-2004, 11:49 AM
Forum Regular

I'd say the Crossfire is a far more 'drivable' car on a daily basis. It's safer, more solid, quieter, and remarkably has more room inside than the Elise.

If you want to have a fast little car, get the Elise. The Crossfire is more refined and comfortable. The Elise is more fun, but only when you're tearing up a strip. The Crossfire would be more fun to just cruise in.

Old 04-17-2004, 09:33 AM
Default why these two

I'm a little mystified about choosing these two for an either/or comparison. NONE of the automotive press, and no enthusiasts I've spoken with put these two cars in the same pigeon hole

This is a little like comparing a Mercury Mountaineer with a HumVee Hummer (the first, not the effete Suburban/Tahoe based H2).

Re the Hummer and Mountaineer: One is a purpose built, unapologetic machine that requires the driver's invovlement and participation 100% of the time. It rewards the driver's putting up w/lack of comfort with a machine that will do what it's meant to do extremely well.

The other is a blvd cruiser that coddles the driver, but will get you out of the mud or through a little snow once in awhile. Good for commuting and trucking the kids to/from soccer, but nobody would seriously consider off roading with it.

So it is with the Lotus and the Crossfire.

One is a 2 seater Formula Atlantic street car with lights. It's all about driver input and uncompromising performance, at the expense of creature comforts. Doesn't care what it looks like, either (which is good, because it is homely). Totally non pretentious.

The other is an eye catching, in a draw dropping way luxo sports coupee that comforts the driver, with moderate sporting pretensions that can put a grin on his/her face when hanging on to a decreasing radius exit ramp. For this car, it's more about how you look getting from point A to point B, and how many fingerprints it collects in the Applebee parking lot.

The Lotus will put a grin on the driver's face in the same situation, right before the g forces matched by only a handful of other street cars, forces his stomach to expel breakfast.

In other words, both cars do what they're designed to do very well. I doubt seriously if Crossfire owners rethinking their choice and casting about for an alternative would even have the Lotus on their short list. They're completely different cars.

Old 04-17-2004, 10:51 AM
Forum Regular

Elise is untouchable, unless you are on the waiting list from what I hear. I think they are all spoken for during the first round of release in the US.

They are yet another show stopper. People will look at you like you are in a ferrari, etc. Great car for the road courses. The car is very well balanced, not too much power, but the car is very light.

It is all personal preference. I love the interior of the Crossfire. I had considered the Elise, however it wasn't being released until this year. I wanted the Crossfire NOW (last year). I'm still happy with my purchase. Great daily driver. Takes regular road bumps with ease, yet locks in at 90mph, feeling like 20.

Old 04-19-2004, 10:33 PM

oh i agree, they are totally different cars. just curious what the driving preference is for people on this BBS. i can't decide which i like better as far as looks go. the Crossfire is more elegant, but the Elise is aggressive and attractive at the same. no-nonsense uses of materials and matter-of-fact styling to match its performance.

oh heck...i'll just take both!

Old 04-21-2004, 06:59 PM
Default crossfire vs. elise

I had an elise on order. My wife and I sat in it at the L.A. auto show. Getting in and out of the elise is a real pain. My wife also said she would not help me if it breaks down. I drove the crossfire roadster at the L.A. drive event. I am getting the crossfire, it drives great and looks awsome.

Old 04-21-2004, 07:50 PM

bornfeld1 It sounds like you already know this but I'll say it anyway..... Great choice!!!

Old 04-27-2004, 09:01 AM

Who starts this silly stuff ?

Old 04-28-2004, 08:06 AM

me!

Old 06-12-2004, 03:06 PM
Default Elise

I haven't seen or driven one, but as an owner of a previous generation Lotus, I have to say your're getting a glorified kit car. I loved the one I had, but they were nothing but trouble. Getting too old for that. You know, my Healeys, Triumphs and Mgs were all junk too. But I loved them all.

Old 06-12-2004, 04:58 PM
Forum Regular

They had one on motor week. The guy had to remove the ROLL UP soft top, then basically he stood on the seat and fell down into the car. I am pretty sure that I would not be albe to handle that. I can get in and out of our car ok, but if it was any harder then I probably would have not bought it. Of course I have had four back operations....

I was also not happy to hear it was a Toyota engine and that it made mazda miata look big... What exactly are you getting for all of that $? If it had a Toyota badge it would not have been selling as well.

-marc

Old 06-12-2004, 05:28 PM

You can't argue with a 4.7 0-60.... thats what you're paying for. I dont care what engine is in it, plus you get the outstanding reliability of the toyota powerplant. I'd buy it in a second even if it did have the Toyota badge on it. Then again, I really DO love my Crossfire..... I guess i'll have to cancel my order... :wink:

Old 06-13-2004, 10:04 AM

every review i have seen or read about the car basically says that once you drive it, you will wet your pants. then once you are over the stunning euphoric shock of its performance and size, you really start to like it.

sounds like the perfect summer troller for me. if stop lights didn't exist, you could drive city streets without touching the brake. accelerate to 60 MPH, approach u-turn, let off pedal slowly, turn wheel, feel understeer, apply more throttle.

Old 06-14-2004, 10:41 PM
Banned
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Hey Baco just do it i dare you. from a happy xfire owner!!It will match the rest of your great stable!!

Old 06-15-2004, 08:27 AM

Originally Posted by Dan Root
Hey Baco just do it i dare you. from a happy xfire owner!!It will match the rest of your great stable!!
LOL! Not sure if that was a shot or a complement.

:P

In all honesty, I have no idea what my next car will be. The Crossfire is definitely still on the list, but there are simply too many nice cars out there to choose from. 3 years ago, this would have been a much easier decision.

As for my "stable." The MGB is a restoration project that i am using as a test case for a business idea in the auto resotration industry. The Saab is my daily driver that I picked up for $1k as a winter beater and may also be a resto project if I buy a newer car. The thing looks like crap, but runs so well I decided to sell my SVT and use the cash to buy a house instead. And the Infiniti is just the trouble-free trusty Japanese transporter.

Old 06-15-2004, 11:51 AM
Banned
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

My advice you don't need but here it is anyway keep the beater, finish the MG, dump the nissan and buy one great car,and yeah there is alot of them but so far i've owned 6Benzs,5 lexs,3jags, 2porsches,8 classic mustang,1hybrid insight,1civic si,1-350z,3jeeps6trucks,2cadys,and about 10 others,and oh yeah 1-91nsx,and the xfire is near the top3.goodluck,you can always dream.

Old 06-15-2004, 12:29 PM
Forum Regular

I looked at the Lotus as well but discounted it quickly. Sure, I had the most excellent time and fun driving the Lotus. It is fast and drives like a go-kart. But, my lifestyle didn't suit it. I have lots of motorway driving to do, the Elise is loud and uncomfortable. I am quite tall and getting in anout out of the Elise is harder than the Crossfire. The Elise just doesn't have the refinements I like in a car which the Crossfire does. Plus the Xfire is more unique, less of them on the road, you stand out. I used to have a BMW Z3 M Coupe. I like being a bit more original and different from everyone else. The Xfire gives you this along with a great engine, although not as fast, creature comforts and a nice ride. The choice was easy for me anyway.

Old 06-15-2004, 01:59 PM

Originally Posted by Dan Root
the xfire is near the top3.goodluck,you can always dream.
what were #1 and #2?

and, undoubtedly, the Infiniti will be replaced by another Infiniti when the time comes, but I don't see that car leaving the line-up for some time. the wife loves it and it gets 30 MPG.

Quick Reply: Choices: Crossfire vs. Lotus Elise