Interior Any questions or information related to interior go in here.

Door Panel Removal How To With Pics

Old 05-20-2009, 07:32 PM
Forum Regular
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Thumbs up Door Panel Removal How To With Pics

I pulled my door panels the other day and took some pics. I created a document for something else but figured I would share with you all.

Remove the sail panel in the upper corner of the door by the mirror. This pops right off

1-5.png

Remove the 2 torx screws from the metal end cap on the outside edge of the door.

2-5.png

Remove the Phillips Screw from the end cap on the door latch.

3-5.png

Pop out the SRS AIRBAG screw cover and remove the torx screw.
Note: This stays attached to the door panel. The panel is perforated on the stitched seam. Be careful not to put much pressure on this seam to prevent tear. The airbag is located directly behind this.

4-5.png

5-2.png

Insert a plastic removal tool under the front door pull cover and remove the 2 torx screws. Note the open spaces in the cover for the removal tool to be inserted. The handle and cover are plastic so a metal hook tool is not advised to prevent marring the pieces.

6-2.png

Carefully remove the door release-tweeter trim ring with a hook tool or plastic removal tool. Remove the torx screw behind this. *USE CAUTION* This trim ring is very thin plastic and can break very easily. If the car is a convertible the trim ring could be brittle from the suns UV Rays. This is snapped on very tight.

7-3.png

Now you can use a panel popper and carefully pop off the door panel and lift it off. The tweeter connection and cable for the door release lever will be attached. The tweeter unplugs and the cable is pulled back and unsnapped from the housing.

8-1.png

Use a pick tool to unplug the tweeter connection. Note the capacitor mounted directly to the tweeter housing.

9.png

91.png

The following users liked this post:
MAYAman (04-13-2023)
Old 05-20-2009, 07:33 PM
Forum Regular
Default Re: Door Panel Removal How To With Pics

Door release cable, Pull the black cable back and up to remove from black housing. Then unsnap metal rod into the release lever.

92.png

The door panel removed and the airbag and speaker exposed. The speaker is a shallow Infinity 6.5” mounted with torx screws to the plastic mounting basket. This basket can also be unbolted by removing the three 10mm nuts.

93.png

94.png

95.png

96.png

The following users liked this post:
MAYAman (04-13-2023)
Old 05-20-2009, 08:04 PM
Received 61 Likes on 52 Posts

Great pictorial...thanks!

Old 05-20-2009, 08:22 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Very nice indeed!

Great directions with photo's

It doesn't get any better

Old 05-21-2009, 07:54 AM
Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Sticky!

Sticky!

Old 05-21-2009, 02:07 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Good job showing how it's done, AC!!

Old 05-21-2009, 05:06 PM

Thanks for sharing, good info!

Old 05-22-2009, 02:29 AM
Forum Regular

I can attest that the door handle/tweeter trim piece is a b**** to get off without breaking any of the tabs. The rest is easy. Great pictorial!

Old 05-27-2009, 04:23 PM

To keep the air bag from going off did you just disconnect the battery? And if so, how do you keep the alarm from going off?

Old 07-08-2009, 08:36 AM

Originally Posted by spheil
To keep the air bag from going off did you just disconnect the battery? And if so, how do you keep the alarm from going off?

BUMP!

Please answer the fookin' question! It is necessary to disconnect the battery when working near any SRS (Air Bag) sensors or bags. Right?

Old 07-08-2009, 08:56 AM

Originally Posted by maxcichon
BUMP!

Please answer the fookin' question! It is necessary to disconnect the battery when working near any SRS (Air Bag) sensors or bags. Right?
\

To be honest, i've had my door off multiple times and I never disconnected the battery. I installed Dynamat to my whole door as well.. of course I tried not to do anything that might set the trigger off, but I did use my roller tool to make it flat...

Old 07-08-2009, 09:19 AM

Thanks. Maybe a stupid question, but is there enough room at the back of the doors, near the seat (below the airbag) for a roadster owner to put maybe a 6" or 8" shallow sub? One would have to run the signal cable to them, but is there room?

Old 07-08-2009, 09:22 AM

Originally Posted by maxcichon
Thanks. Maybe a stupid question, but is there enough room at the back of the doors, near the seat (below the airbag) for a roadster owner to put maybe a 6" or 8" shallow sub? One would have to run the signal cable to them, but is there room?
Highly doubt it. You have to remember there is the window there as well. Also, there's a two "sensors" if you will for the airbag.. think of it as a laser beam.. I never had the courage to stick my finger interrupting it (you can't see any light, may be shock sensors? i don't know) to see if the airbag would trip..

The foam carpeting actually covers up a big empty spot where there's no metal.. I say 2.5" until you hit the glass from the window..

Old 07-08-2009, 09:40 AM

2 7/8" depth. Maybe these?

Kicker CompVT 08CVT654 Shallow 6.5" subwoofer at Crutchfield.com

Something to think about, if they don't stick out too much against the side of the seat. Or interfere with the SRS.

Better price. 2 for $120:

http://www.ecrater.com/product.php?pid=2947600

Last edited by maxcichon; 07-08-2009 at 09:45 AM.
Old 08-04-2009, 01:42 PM

Originally Posted by ACRucrazy
I pulled my door panels the other day and took some pics. I created a document for something else but figured I would share with you all.

Remove the sail panel in the upper corner of the door by the mirror. This pops right off

Remove the 2 torx screws from the metal end cap on the outside edge of the door.

Remove the Phillips Screw from the end cap on the door latch.

Pop out the SRS AIRBAG screw cover and remove the torx screw.
Note: This stays attached to the door panel. The panel is perforated on the stitched seam. Be careful not to put much pressure on this seam to prevent tear. The airbag is located directly behind this.

Insert a plastic removal tool under the front door pull cover and remove the 2 torx screws. Note the open spaces in the cover for the removal tool to be inserted. The handle and cover are plastic so a metal hook tool is not advised to prevent marring the pieces.

Carefully remove the door release-tweeter trim ring with a hook tool or plastic removal tool. Remove the torx screw behind this. *USE CAUTION* This trim ring is very thin plastic and can break very easily. If the car is a convertible the trim ring could be brittle from the suns UV Rays. This is snapped on very tight.

Now you can use a panel popper and carefully pop off the door panel and lift it off. The tweeter connection and cable for the door release lever will be attached. The tweeter unplugs and the cable is pulled back and unsnapped from the housing.

Use a pick tool to unplug the tweeter connection. Note the capacitor mounted directly to the tweeter housing.

really nice job thx alot!!

Old 08-05-2009, 09:14 AM

Thanks. Great play by play!!

Old 08-06-2009, 02:16 PM
THREE 6S
Thumbs up Re: Door Panel Removal How To With Pics

Utilized this thread yesterday to install my Infinity Reference!

Thank you ACRucrazy and maxcichon!

On to the rears!

Old 01-03-2010, 03:28 PM
Forum Regular
Received 7 Likes on 3 Posts

I have leather wrapped door handles. Do I really have to split open the door handles to get the door panel off? Because i would have to rip the leather cover off which i do not want to Enlighten me please.

Old 01-03-2010, 11:24 PM
Forum Regular

Yep, the door bolts are behind the door pull. Unless you can slide the leather down and drill a hole through the door pull big enough to access the bolt, but now you'll have depression where the hole is after you slide the leather back. But perhaps you can cover the hole with a thin piece of sheet metal. Did I mention there's a good chance you'll break some of the tabs when removing the tweeter cover?

Originally Posted by Musclefan21
I have leather wrapped door handles. Do I really have to split open the door handles to get the door panel off? Because i would have to rip the leather cover off which i do not want to Enlighten me please.

Last edited by spotsbimmer; 01-03-2010 at 11:28 PM.
Old 01-04-2010, 10:38 AM
Forum Regular
Received 7 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by spotsbimmer
Yep, the door bolts are behind the door pull. Unless you can slide the leather down and drill a hole through the door pull big enough to access the bolt, but now you'll have depression where the hole is after you slide the leather back. But perhaps you can cover the hole with a thin piece of sheet metal. Did I mention there's a good chance you'll break some of the tabs when removing the tweeter cover?
Mine doesnt slide at all, it is like stuck there with a glue. It was done by a pro and looks like the car came from the factory that way. one way to remove it is to rip it off. god damn it! my door rattles a bit and i wanted to tighted a few bolts to make it tight.

Quick Reply: Door Panel Removal How To With Pics