Interior Any questions or information related to interior go in here.

Seat Relay

Old 11-21-2011, 12:31 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Re: Seat Relay

Turbo,
Dave's pictorial and how to are OUTSTANDING !! Simply didn't want anyone tearing their car apart because they felt that normal op wasn't correct.

Dave,
From one who has benefitted numerous times from your experience.. Many Thanks
V/R
Tim

Old 11-23-2011, 04:02 PM
Received 538 Likes on 454 Posts

OK, I have been away for a few days.
My mistake, that's the third mistake in my whole life, it's becoming a habit. LOL

The seat works door open with the ignition OFF.
The seat works doors closed and ignition ON.

I'll amend my other posts, sorry, why I said that I do not know. My first post does not mention door closed and I assume in the later replies I thought differently and was wrong.

I checked both cars and they worked the same. I am in the two Crossfire club for now, my wife says that the old one has to go, she's right again just like she says she always is.

Old 11-23-2011, 04:39 PM
Forum Regular
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by 2005 Ragtop
Dave,
"Okay, what about this from page 8N-95 of the 2005 service manual ? "The driver side power seat switches are operational with the driver door open, regardless of the ignition switch key position. If the driver door is closed, the ignition switch key must be turned to the ON/RUN position".
Mine has always worked per the manual. I thought that Dave may have changed the normal operation during his repair. Actually, I would like the seat to adjust with the door closed and the ign off. It probably would be an easy mod, but to much trouble for me to tear into it! Maybe some day, if I need to get under the dash for something else?

Old 11-23-2011, 05:01 PM
Received 61 Likes on 52 Posts
Exclamation Re: Seat Relay

Dave, did it occur to you that when your wife said the old one has to go she may have been referring to you?

Old 11-23-2011, 07:00 PM

Originally Posted by turbomar
In my case, the seats wont move unless I turn the ignition on, doors open or closed. I thought this was normal until I read this thread. Do you think it would be the other diode that would be defective Dave?

sooo, my issue is: seats wont operate with doors open and ignition off
I have corrected my posts to reflect what happens when the doors are open or closed with the ignition ON or OFF and the combinations of same.

Your problem is the opposite of mine in the first post, my later posts were incorrect half the time, I guess I assumed wrongly. My first post was unclear in one regard but not wrong.

I assume (that's often the first mistake) that it's the other diode that is broken on yours. However, on the Mercedes forums it has been noted that this relay often suffers from dry solder joints, so that's another option.

Your fault is easier to accept than the one I had, who wants to open the door at speed to adjust the seat.

PM me your address and I'll send you two diodes that may work for you (you need only one) if you cannot find the surface mount type, no charge, all part of the Crossfire network of friends.

Last edited by onehundred80; 11-23-2011 at 07:12 PM. Reason: Corrected original post.
Old 11-23-2011, 09:21 PM
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by onehundred80
I have corrected my posts to reflect what happens when the doors are open or closed with the ignition ON or OFF and the combinations of same.

Your problem is the opposite of mine in the first post, my later posts were incorrect half the time, I guess I assumed wrongly. My first post was unclear in one regard but not wrong.

I assume (that's often the first mistake) that it's the other diode that is broken on yours. However, on the Mercedes forums it has been noted that this relay often suffers from dry solder joints, so that's another option.

Your fault is easier to accept than the one I had, who wants to open the door at speed to adjust the seat.

PM me your address and I'll send you two diodes that may work for you (you need only one) if you cannot find the surface mount type, no charge, all part of the Crossfire network of friends.
Dave
I appreciate and respect your opinion. Thanks for the Diode offer... PM sent!
Mario

Old 05-31-2012, 01:27 AM

Originally Posted by XFire-GTO
Recent experience...... 12/27/2010 bought a used 2005 Coupe Limited

Horn wasn't working.... they replaced the Horn module... took 14 days to arrive.

Ready to drive it off the lot and attempted to adjust driver seat.... nothing, and same for the passenger side. Both had been working when I dropped it off.

Informed the Horn module had no association with the power seat movement.

About 45 minutes later the problem was corrected, and didn't bother to ask what, or where the problem was. There was no charge to correct this.
Seems this problem has resurfaced..... will follow the op's outline in attempt to fix it.

Old 07-01-2012, 05:20 PM
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by onehundred80

I finally repaired the relay today while I had the knee bolster off to do the Carbon Fiber dash trim kit. Indeed, in my case, it was the other diode that was the culprit. I left the bad diode in place and soldered the new diode Dave gave me in conjunction with heatshrink tubing to insulate from nearby conductors. Tweezers come in handy to bend the Diode wire around the board. The seat finally works as per OE specs!

I have 1 diode left for someone who may require one, that is if Dave doesn't mind me regifting

Attached Images
File Type: jpg
100_0627.JPG (2.34 MB, 179 views)
100_0628.JPG (2.43 MB, 168 views)

Last edited by turbomar; 07-01-2012 at 05:25 PM.
Old 07-23-2012, 03:50 AM

Originally Posted by XFire-GTO
Seems this problem has resurfaced..... will follow the op's outline in attempt to fix it.
07/19/2012....replaced Relay
Ignition Off...Doors Open (one or both).... Seats can be adjusted.
Ignition Off...Doors Closed.................... Seats cannot be adjusted.
Ignition On...Doors Closed..................... Seats can be adjusted.

The relay that was replaced.... was hot to the touch upon removal.

Last edited by XFire-GTO; 07-23-2012 at 04:19 AM.
Old 07-23-2012, 05:25 AM
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Seat Relay

Hi guys and gals, can anyone tell me where the seat relay is located in British version of Crossfire roadster 2005 model, as I bought one but cannot locate it, pics or documents to tell me would be much appreciated, thanks , Teak

Old 07-23-2012, 11:59 AM

Hey Xfire-GTO did replacing your relay solve your problems?
I just picked up my xfire last week and I think I’m having the exact problem you are. What I have noticed is that the drivers power seat works correctly for about 3 minutes and then it quits. If I let the car sit with key off and doors closed for a while when I come back the seat is working again.
I pulled the relay out and checked the diodes, touched up all the solder joints everything looks OK. Put it back in the seat worked for a few minutes and quit. Went to pull the rely out again and it was very hot.
I don’t know if something is drawing a lot of current and overheating a circuit or if the rely just fails to work when it heats up.

Old 04-22-2013, 03:32 PM

Will you send me the info on this relay? I'm a woman but am capable of doing my own work. BUT everyone wants an arm and a leg to put it in and I'd rather do the work myself!

Old 04-22-2013, 04:18 PM

Originally Posted by grnidcsi
Will you send me the info on this relay? I'm a woman but am capable of doing my own work. BUT everyone wants an arm and a leg to put it in and I'd rather do the work myself!
Read post #1.

Old 04-22-2013, 04:19 PM

Originally Posted by BrandonW
Hey Xfire-GTO did replacing your relay solve your problems?
I just picked up my xfire last week and I think I’m having the exact problem you are. What I have noticed is that the drivers power seat works correctly for about 3 minutes and then it quits. If I let the car sit with key off and doors closed for a while when I come back the seat is working again.
I pulled the relay out and checked the diodes, touched up all the solder joints everything looks OK. Put it back in the seat worked for a few minutes and quit. Went to pull the rely out again and it was very hot.
I don’t know if something is drawing a lot of current and overheating a circuit or if the rely just fails to work when it heats up.
From what I see the problem was solved when he replaced the relay.

Old 11-24-2013, 10:11 PM
Forum Regular

What's the best way to diagnose both seats not working? No fuses are popped, I even put in 5A fuses to test if there was current going through the circuit, and the fuses didn't blow. From my understanding it's either the switch or relay correct?

Old 11-25-2013, 05:58 AM

Originally Posted by Selbyl
What's the best way to diagnose both seats not working? No fuses are popped, I even put in 5A fuses to test if there was current going through the circuit, and the fuses didn't blow. From my understanding it's either the switch or relay correct?
hi there Selby, I would check if seats move when door/doors are open, as this was the case with mine, this was a fault in the relay, which I bought and got it fitted and this cured the problem , hope this helps, Teak

Old 11-25-2013, 10:16 AM

If both seat controls are not working, I would bet it's definitely a faulty seat relay. My seats intermittently did the same thing. The dealer had my car for almost two weeks and couldn't figure out the problem. I referenced Electrical. Miscellaneous under the index of Crossfire problems, repairs and How Too's and replaced the relay myself approximately two years ago. I have not had a problem since.

Old 09-27-2014, 05:14 PM
Thumbs up Re: Seat Relay

I fixed my power seat today, thought i would add mine to the list for those who are looking for information. My seats would not move at all then for no reason I could find they would start working. the door had no part in my problem. after my research here I decided it was the seat relay. I pulled down the dash under the wheel(not hard) one screw under the steering column release's trim to find two more screws. two screws hidden behind the fuse panel beside a/c vent. one screw on the hood release and the rest on the underside in clear view. if memory serves. the relay was just where others said it would be. pulled it apart could not see any obvious problems. So I got a magnifying glass and on one solder point I saw it was cracked around the solder point. WOW, I Soldered it adding more solder and put it back together, works fine.
Thanks to all the information here it was a breeze.

Attached Images
9-27-2014 010.JPG (1.49 MB, 177 views)
The following users liked this post:
smsunder (03-19-2022)
Old 11-21-2014, 12:28 PM
Question Re: Seat Relay

Any chance the pics of this relay are still available?
My seat is stuck in full forward position.

never mind, i found them.

Last edited by zach71; 11-21-2014 at 12:32 PM. Reason: update
Old 10-22-2015, 03:58 PM

my door is not working. will it work if i just purchase MB #002 542 22 19 for mercedes and replace with one in my car?

Quick Reply: Seat Relay