Interior Any questions or information related to interior go in here.

Gauges Don't Move for a Few Seconds After Starting

Old 01-19-2023, 01:44 PM
Received 15 Likes on 10 Posts
Default Gauges Don't Move for a Few Seconds After Starting

I did a search on the forum and didn't find anything on this topic.

In the past few weeks my Xfire exhibits a new behavior: the temperature, fuel, and tachometer don't move for a number of seconds after starting the car.

How long before they move? 5-7 seconds. How frequently does this happen? ~50% of the time.

Does anyone have insight?

Thanks

Old 01-19-2023, 03:13 PM
Received 139 Likes on 108 Posts
Default Re: Gauges Don't Move for a Few Seconds After Starting

Loose or dirty wire harness connections?

I believe there are 2 interfaces on the back of the cluster
whenever you need any to know what the part looks like from the back, go to EBay. There are usually decal posted for sale.

Old 01-19-2023, 11:04 PM
Administrator
Received 877 Likes on 683 Posts
Default Re: Gauges Don't Move for a Few Seconds After Starting

I spent from 1983 to 2011 as an electronics technician, I repaired audio, RF and digital equipment of many varieties. The Crossfires' service manual tells us very little about the electronics in the instrument cluster, we are only given a partial block diagram, so troubleshooting very deeply in the I/C is almost impossible.

But I can say this: If I had an instrumentation device that exhibited the issue that all analog gauges "started slowly" I would think those instruments are being driving by a microprocesor based architecture and I'd bet you that the microprocessor's time base oscillator was sluggish in startup. The fix would be to replace the cluster unless you can find oscillator parts to change individually - which would be the crystal, the modular crystal oscillator (not sure which our cluster has) or perhaps one of the watch dog timer capacitors.

So you can try to repair the cluster or simply replace it with a known-good cluster.

The suggestion of a bad connection might be worth looking at, but in my experience, such an issue would cause the display to fail during operation, then come back to life, then fail, at random times. The fact that you say it only happens at startup makes me think timebase oscillator or watch dog timer.