Interior Any questions or information related to interior go in here.

Replacement key/Key fob?

Old 06-15-2013, 07:48 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Replacement key/Key fob?

I am a little confused in how I can procure a new key and its attendant fob. I only have the one that was with the car when I bought it at a Ford dealership. Do I need to go to a Chrysler dealer? Is the car start-able without the fob...? I am just starting what I believe is going to be a steep learning curve for this car so please have some mercy. Thanks!

Old 06-15-2013, 11:14 PM
Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
Default Re: Replacement key/Key fob?

I can't speak from first hand experience, but I believe you have to go to a Chrysler or Mercedes dealer, show them your VIN and they will order you one at a cost of about $100.

Old 06-15-2013, 11:23 PM
Received 15 Likes on 14 Posts

Here you go.. One of our suppliers for OEM quality and upgrades.. the red links are clickable to take you to the pages etc.

Sebastien_L

User Gallery

Re: Replacement key

I just got one from Needswings sales@needswings.com

160$ shipped to Canada
155$ shipped to USA

Needswings web site:
Performance auto parts & aftermarket auto accessories for your car, specializing SRT4, Crossfire SRT6, SLK32, C32 AMG, VR-4

And you just program it yourself using...
How to program your own key. SAVE $$$

Old 07-23-2013, 10:42 PM

The dealer in Boulder CO quoted me $300 for the key and $100 to program the key! Needless to say I looked for alternatives and found this company referenced here on these forums:
Keyless Entry Remotes, Car Remote Replacements, Key Fobs, Keys, &more!
I ordered through them for $160 and received the key today. It came from a Chrysler dealer! It works like a champ and I saved a bunch of money, so I don't care about the details.

Old 07-24-2013, 12:05 AM
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Patrick, based on your post, I assume that you may be Colorado-based? If so, we'd love to have you join our Colorado Crossfire Club (CCC) events.

Old 07-27-2013, 12:36 PM

We are in Lakewood. We just got our Crossfire July 5th, so I'm not familiar with the club. Tell me more!

Old 07-27-2013, 01:59 PM
Received 533 Likes on 450 Posts

Originally Posted by Wes__Hutchinson
I am a little confused in how I can procure a new key and its attendant fob. I only have the one that was with the car when I bought it at a Ford dealership. Do I need to go to a Chrysler dealer? Is the car start-able without the fob...? I am just starting what I believe is going to be a steep learning curve for this car so please have some mercy. Thanks!
The car is not start-able without the chip in the Fob being close to the ignition halo which is around the keyhole.
The chip is programed to the car and vice versa, it is a part of the anti-theft system.

Old 07-27-2013, 10:22 PM
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by patrickjherbert
We are in Lakewood. We just got our Crossfire July 5th, so I'm not familiar with the club. Tell me more!
We are an informal club that just loves to drive our Crossfires. If you are interested in joining us, please send me a PM or email me at itsky@itsky.org

Old 04-29-2019, 12:31 PM

I checked out the website and the key is listed at $695. Any other thoughts out there?
Janet

Old 04-29-2019, 01:49 PM

Originally Posted by Crossfire2006!
I checked out the website and the key is listed at $695. Any other thoughts out there?
Janet
Not much cheaper, NeedsWings $659.95. CLICK

Old 04-29-2019, 09:54 PM
Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

SOSdiagnostics a few days ago quoted me $285 for a flat key but you have to send them a working key, your skreem. and ECM

Old 04-30-2019, 08:55 AM
Forum Regular
Received 21 Likes on 18 Posts

I had a local locksmith cut a courtesy key that only opens the door for 100 bucks. No guarantees that it would work. It didnt even go into the door lock until I compared it to the other 2 keys that I have and noticed the end of the key is blunt not pointed, so I filed it square and it worked. I got lucky, my key was inadvertantly locked inside the car. Call around to youe local Mercedes dealer or Porsche, and ask who they use as a locksmith. He will have the ability to laser cut your key providing he has the proper blank.
....Addional- 3D Elite pro was the "LASER ASSISTED" key cutter used, a type of a laser guided 3D router. State of the art in key cutting.

Last edited by Fla_Xfire_SRT; 04-30-2019 at 08:07 PM. Reason: additional info added
Old 04-30-2019, 09:27 AM

Originally Posted by Fla_Xfire_SRT
I had a local locksmith cut a courtesy key that only opens the door for 100 bucks. No guarantees that it would work. It didnt even go into the door lock until I compared it to the other 2 keys that I have and noticed the end of the key is blunt not pointed, so I filed it square and it worked. I got lucky, my key was inadvertantly locked inside the car. Call around to youe local Mercedes dealer or Porsche, and ask who they use as a locksmith. He will have the ability to laser cut your key providing he has the proper blank.
Laser? My keys show the marks of a cutter, if anyone mentions laser they are lying to make it sound high tech and therefore worth the large price tag.
Locksmiths charge a lot because they can get away with it, I asked a locksmith once how much it was to make a key using my sample, after yammering on about codes etc he gave me a price, l laughed at him and said I could get a new high quality lock with two keys for less.

Old 04-30-2019, 04:13 PM

Thanks to all! I will continue my search and let you know if I find a good deal.

Janet

Old 04-30-2019, 09:20 PM
Received 195 Likes on 150 Posts

Originally Posted by Crossfire2006!
Thanks to all! I will continue my search and let you know if I find a good deal.

Janet
if you want a key ,you better move kinda fast as they are being discontinued,, Needswings is your best bet right now ,,you get key and fob to fit your car. jim

Old 04-30-2019, 09:56 PM

Originally Posted by amx1397
if you want a key ,you better move kinda fast as they are being discontinued,, Needswings is your best bet right now ,,you get key and fob to fit your car. jim
Who said the keys will soon be unavailable?
As long as there is money to be made keys will be available.

Old 05-15-2019, 04:56 PM

Originally Posted by patrickjherbert
The dealer in Boulder CO quoted me $300 for the key and $100 to program the key! Needless to say I looked for alternatives and found this company referenced here on these forums:
Keyless Entry Remotes, Car Remote Replacements, Key Fobs, Keys, &more!
I ordered through them for $160 and received the key today. It came from a Chrysler dealer! It works like a champ and I saved a bunch of money, so I don't care about the details.
Thanks. They certainly show a better price. $485.

https://www.remotesandkeys.com/produ...d=p7955-c12389

Old 08-05-2019, 05:12 AM
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

I think I got myself into a world of hurt. Just bought a beautiful, low mile 04 with a single key. The remote worked sporadically so I replaced the batteries. Figured I should get another key and found this thread. I'm regretting the purchase now that I've discovered the part is no longer supported by Chrysler. I'm putting myself here to get a notification in case another post offers some hope. Thanks to anyone out there with advice..

Old 08-05-2019, 08:01 AM
Received 139 Likes on 108 Posts

Replacement fobs are still available
Contact Rob at Needswings. Or you can try to purchase from the dealer

you’ll require proof of ownership

Old 08-05-2019, 10:08 AM
Administrator
Received 877 Likes on 683 Posts

Originally Posted by g wheels
I think I got myself into a world of hurt. Just bought a beautiful, low mile 04 with a single key. The remote worked sporadically so I replaced the batteries. Figured I should get another key and found this thread. I'm regretting the purchase now that I've discovered the part is no longer supported by Chrysler. I'm putting myself here to get a notification in case another post offers some hope. Thanks to anyone out there with advice..
See post 17.

Quick Reply: Replacement key/Key fob?