Interior Any questions or information related to interior go in here.

Left side dome light issues

Old 10-15-2014, 03:48 PM
Received 79 Likes on 68 Posts
Default Left side dome light issues

Hello everyone!

This problem has been upsetting me for a while. It started with the left side dome light not being as bright as the right side despite the same bulb.
Then all of a sudden the left side is always out. I went ahead to take the assembly out and when I rattle the left bulb back and forth it will come back on but as soon as the assembly is reinstalled and the cover added it goes out again.
Obviously has to do with the metal "line" that is running around the housing of the assembly and provides contact surface.
Has anyone fixed this issue and can give me some pointers? Love this car but man oh man that whole dome light assembly sure is flimsy!

Nick

Old 10-15-2014, 03:52 PM
Received 153 Likes on 141 Posts
Default Re: Left side dome light issues

Flimsy is being nice. Mine is more hot glue gun goo than circuitry now.
( but it WORKS ! )

Old 10-15-2014, 05:01 PM

Originally Posted by ala_xfire
Flimsy is being nice. Mine is more hot glue gun goo than circuitry now.
( but it WORKS ! )
I haven't been able to figure out how to fix it unfortunately. Don't care what it looks like on the inside as long as the light works again. I don't even know why it doesn't work as the silver band is touching the connectors of the bulb so there should be juice flowing through BUT like I said it's weird that it sometimes when I take it out but as soon as I plug the whole assembly back in and pop on the cover it's back to NO LIGHT!
Unworthy for a car of this quality!
Is it the same assembly in a Merc SLK? I was already thinking about ordering a new one but I assume they are expensive and as long as I don't see anything broken I won't order a new one! But it would be nice to finally see something in the car at night with the dome light on!

Old 10-15-2014, 05:09 PM

same part, same quality for the SLK light, I think. Looks the same to me in pictures.

Old 10-16-2014, 01:10 AM

same part, same quality for the SLK light, I think. Looks the same to me in pictures.
What did it for you? What made the difference so your light worked again?

Old 10-16-2014, 06:30 AM

Holding down the loose metal wiring runs and hot gluing them down where they had come loose.

Old 10-16-2014, 07:27 PM
Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Holding down the loose metal wiring runs and hot gluing them down where they had come loose.
I noticed this on my light when I had the headliner down, I'll probably have to fix it sometime.

Old 10-17-2014, 01:14 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I've had the same issue...seems too brittle, and that's problematic. I will try the hot glue solution.

Old 10-18-2014, 02:21 AM
Forum Regular
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I'm having the same issue with the right side light. Trying to repair it is on my list for things to do this weekend.....

Old 10-22-2014, 07:23 PM

Originally Posted by Thornh
I'm having the same issue with the right side light. Trying to repair it is on my list for things to do this weekend.....
My big problem is that I haven't yet figured out how to fix it!! If something worked for you let me know please!

Old 10-23-2014, 01:41 AM
Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by nickwe21
My big problem is that I haven't yet figured out how to fix it!! If something worked for you let me know please!
I'm having the same problem. The good news is that the whole assembly can be taken out of the car. A plastic credit card can be used to remove the assembly from the headliner. Sharp metal tools (screwdrivers) are not a good idea because it is too easy to ding the plastic.The metal strip that runs to the bulb can be hot glued to the assembly. Use a multimeter to check for continuity. If you want to do an overkill repair just solder some 20 gauge wire from the metal strip to the bulb socket. Make sure that there is clearance for the wire. On the DIY repair list this is a one star repair as long as you know how to solder or plug in a glue gun.

Old 10-24-2014, 10:43 AM

i have the same issue. when i remove the plastic cover, it brightens up or if i repeatedly tap on it. but definitely something is not making a tight enough contact.

Old 10-24-2014, 11:36 PM

I took my assembly apart & found that the bulb socket assembly was not fully seated on the two power runners. This was giving intermittent contact. Make sure the contacts on the bulb socket assembly are making good contact with the power rails. The socket assembly requires a quarter turn. The rails could also be secured by melting some styrene plastic where the plastic pins protrude thru the holes in the runners.
Stan

Old 10-25-2014, 08:25 AM

Thanks Red Runner.
To us shade tree mechanics, :

The rails could also be secured by melting some styrene plastic
That's a hot glue gun .........

Old 10-27-2014, 12:00 AM
Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Thanks Red Runner.
To us shade tree mechanics, :

That's a hot glue gun .........

Or it could be a plastic welding machine. I use mine regularly and keep a variety of plastic welding rods on hand.

Old 12-14-2014, 04:53 PM
Received 27 Likes on 24 Posts

I also experienced this problem where both bulbs worked until I reassembled the dome light into the position, then the left light was either dimmer or did not work at all. After several removal and replacement attempts I found that as RED RUNNER (no relation that I know of) suggested, the bulb socket was not fully rotated and seated. Play with it until you are SURE it is inserted correctly and has been rotated a quarter turn to the lock position. All should be well . . .

Old 01-07-2015, 01:48 AM

I thought I had solved the problem on my dome light but the drivers side bulb went dead again. My latest repair is to add fresh solder to the contacts on the bulb socket. I also scuffed (cleaned) the rail where the bulb socket makes contact. The rail seemed to have some oxidation. If this doesn't fix it I will be soldering wires between the bulb socket & the rail. So far the solder job has fixed the problem.
Stan

Old 08-11-2015, 04:35 AM
Forum Regular

My issue turned out to be broken plastic around the socket, I ended up soldering the socket contact to the metal runner to ensure contact. It has been working for a while now, but I am searching for a replacement that is not $896.00 (Dealer replacement price).

Red Dog - you have both roadsters and a coupe, can you verify that the dome light assemblies are the same for me?

Thanks!

Old 08-11-2015, 08:35 AM
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Is there any issue actually removing the light from the headliner. My driver side light is out, and it is bright enough without it, I just left it alone.

Old 08-11-2015, 06:25 PM
Received 27 Likes on 24 Posts

Originally Posted by Thornh
Red Dog - you have both roadsters and a coupe, can you verify that the dome light assemblies are the same for me?
Hi Thorn, Yes the dome light assembly is exactly the same part on the roadster and coupe.

Quick Reply: Left side dome light issues