Interior Any questions or information related to interior go in here.

Interior Condensation?

Old 03-18-2015, 03:55 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Re: Interior Condensation?

Hey 180, I understand about the rubber flange and water. Thanks. Are you saying that this annoyance of window fogging is not going away, that it is inherent with the Crossfire? I do keep airflow to the windshield (constant to some degree) but sometimes after the car sits and is restarted, you MUST turn on the a/c prior to entering traffic to see if any hot air will fog the window. If it does and does so heavily, visibility is 0. I would have to pull over and stop. Since I am aware of the condition, I am careful but sometimes the fogging is unavoidable, or so it seems. Any suggestions?

Old 03-19-2015, 01:55 PM
Received 543 Likes on 459 Posts

Originally Posted by BisB
Hey 180, I understand about the rubber flange and water. Thanks. Are you saying that this annoyance of window fogging is not going away, that it is inherent with the Crossfire? I do keep airflow to the windshield (constant to some degree) but sometimes after the car sits and is restarted, you MUST turn on the a/c prior to entering traffic to see if any hot air will fog the window. If it does and does so heavily, visibility is 0. I would have to pull over and stop. Since I am aware of the condition, I am careful but sometimes the fogging is unavoidable, or so it seems. Any suggestions?
I have found that during certain weather conditions my car will fog up very fast. This is because of very humid air hitting a cold windscreen. This is a natural thing and cannot be cured. It happens in all cars at that time. The AC should chip in to dehumidify the air but because it takes time to get cold the screen fogs up. Possibly the way around this is to close off the fresh air and recirculate the interior air until the system has stabilized.

Old 03-19-2015, 02:10 PM

Yes 180, I agree. Most cars do experience window fogging under the conditions that you have described. With the CF, as I indicated prior, it is so bad that visibility becomes 0. Maybe it's also because a person (body temperature) is sitting in a very small cabin and the imbalance of temps of outside to inside exacerbate the fogging condition. If 2 people, even worse? The first time this happened to me, I was teaching my son the stick shift on a Frontage road soon after acquiring the CF. I had never seen such a fogging and it took the a/c a long time to clear the window. I appreciate your sensitivity and knowledge and thank you for your continued responses! I just order the wiper flange for $2.70. They wanted me to come in and prepay but I talked the parts guy into ordering the part "on credit". The plastic cover for the bolt on the wiper is around $15. Was missing when I purchased the CF. Not a big deal. Thanks again.

Old 03-19-2015, 02:50 PM

Yes 180, I agree. Most cars do experience window fogging under the conditions that you have described. With the CF, as I indicated prior, it is so bad that visibility becomes 0. Maybe it's also because a person (body temperature) is sitting in a very small cabin and the imbalance of temps of outside to inside exacerbate the fogging condition. If 2 people, even worse? The first time this happened to me, I was teaching my son the stick shift on a Frontage road soon after acquiring the CF. I had never seen such a fogging and it took the a/c a long time to clear the window. I appreciate your sensitivity and knowledge and thank you for your continued responses! I just order the wiper flange for $2.70. They wanted me to come in and prepay but I talked the parts guy into ordering the part "on credit". The plastic cover for the bolt on the wiper is around $15. Was missing when I purchased the CF. Not a big deal. Thanks again.
That cover for the nut is used on many cars and is cheaper when it does not have the Crossfire name associated with the part.
Stick it down with contact cement or something like that.
The flange fitting will require a little modification to the cowl as the hole is generally not on center, I did a how to on that problem. The cowl hole is not big enough and needs to be cut larger on the correct center.

Old 03-19-2015, 03:35 PM

180- I did review your prior post about the offset wiper arm, etc. and also noticed that the passenger side is not centered but that the rubber flange is somehow in position. I did not quite follow your prior post but I can look again a bit closer. Once I receive the rubber flange, I can mess with it. Do you have any theory why 2 CF'ers, yours and mine both have missing driver side rubber grommet flanges????? For the cap for the wiper bolt, I purchased a plastic furniture leg bottom, cut it short and did exactly what you suggested and adhered it with some adhesive. I have also noticed that every CF is missing the caps for the wiper bolts both sides. Mine was only missing the driver side.

Old 03-19-2015, 03:54 PM

180- I did review your prior post about the offset wiper arm, etc. and also noticed that the passenger side is not centered but that the rubber flange is somehow in position. I did not quite follow your prior post but I can look again a bit closer. Once I receive the rubber flange, I can mess with it. Do you have any theory why 2 CF'ers, yours and mine both have missing driver side rubber grommet flanges????? For the cap for the wiper bolt, I purchased a plastic furniture leg bottom, cut it short and did exactly what you suggested and adhered it with some adhesive. I have also noticed that every CF is missing the caps for the wiper bolts both sides. Mine was only missing the driver side.
Many if not all Crossfires came with the driver side isolator as they call it missing, as you saw the passenger side is off center as well as was mine. The hole on the driver side is too small and with it being off center as well the part would not fit, so they left it out. Both of my Crossfires had the driver side part missing. The passenger side hole can be trimmed up and the isolator can be put back on center. I replaced the passenger side part and you could tell it was held off center as it was distorted.
Adding the missing isolator.

Last edited by onehundred80; 03-19-2015 at 04:00 PM.
Old 03-19-2015, 04:03 PM

180- so you are saying a have to use a dremel metal cutting tool to surgically open the hole so the wiper arm is more centered??? I have one of those all purpose tools with interchangeable parts for cutting, I may have a dremel somewhere. Not to sure a like the idea of cutting into the metal for a part that does not seem to matter much…………. When I get the part, I'll fuss with it. Thanks.

Old 03-19-2015, 04:22 PM
Received 153 Likes on 141 Posts

The cowl cover is plastic, not metal.
I used my trusty tin snips to cut the proper size hole out, really just a kinda 1/4 moon cut to extend the current hole up a bit as I recall.

Old 03-19-2015, 04:48 PM

Looks like metal, is plastic...…great! Part should be available in a week. Need time to fuss. Thanks for the clarity of the plastic. Though you would have thought those German engineers would have centered the wiper arm.

Old 03-19-2015, 05:49 PM
Received 153 Likes on 141 Posts

Here's how I see it.
One day a CAD engineer at Chrysler ( or MB, who cares ) is working on the cowl design, his wife calls and says "I'm leaving you and taking the kids !"
His mouse slips at that and the driver side hole is now 5mm low and 5mm off to the center. He doesn't realize it and submits the design, lit looks right
with 2 holes, so 80,000 of them get made and delivered before assembly realizes that the DS grommet ain't gonna fit.
Management is notified, bean counters are consulted and the cost to redo is calculated at 1.2 million dollars.
Management makes the decision to go ahead with the current supply
and informs assembly that they have too many grommets now, to return half for a refund.
This makes management look good, and they figure us unwashed masses will never be wiser.

Old 03-19-2015, 06:50 PM

No no no, you almost got the story straight: the GIRLFRIEND of the engineer calls and says she is pregnant. His mouse slips and the rest you got perfect. The only caveat, is that management decides to pay for the divorce proceedings because the company was making the engineers work overtime when he received the call. When the call came in, he SHOULD have been on his break, so management felt obligated to avoid a lawsuit because of the overtime issue. Then, the engineer is offered a position of head engineer but decides to take a job at Toyota that includes sub contracts for airbags. Then the dang faulty airbag issue becomes global headlines with 6.4 million vehicle (recall). Management at Toyota threatens him and tells him to keep his mouse in his pants because he is still scr@%ing around…………….:

Old 03-19-2015, 07:02 PM

180- so you are saying a have to use a dremel metal cutting tool to surgically open the hole so the wiper arm is more centered??? I have one of those all purpose tools with interchangeable parts for cutting, I may have a dremel somewhere. Not to sure a like the idea of cutting into the metal for a part that does not seem to matter much…………. When I get the part, I'll fuss with it. Thanks.
I actually used a X-ACTO knife and carved thin wafers off it, the plastic cuts really easily and neatly. I did the carving with the cowl in position and removed the slices as they came off, so none fell down inside to clog the drain.
Naturally your fingers are behind the cutting edge, so no blood is spilled during this little job.
Edit
I see I said I took the cowl off to carve it, I mis-spoke as the politicians up here say. I took off the cowl to clean the drains and put it back on while the part was ordered, I also used the Olpha knife not the Xacto knife I state above, that is one of those knifes with the snap off blades. A thin X-ACTO knife with a strong blade might be better though.

Last edited by onehundred80; 03-19-2015 at 07:10 PM.
Old 03-19-2015, 07:07 PM

Sounds easy enough to shave the cowl opening, thanks for the directions. I'm not sure you were in the thread about the 3rd brake light and adding the $5 module that creates the pulsating 3rd brake light. Completed that task, works great- nice safety issue. My wife was impressed! Maybe folks will stay back or go around. Fine with me.

Old 03-22-2015, 03:31 PM

Sounds easy enough to shave the cowl opening, thanks for the directions. I'm not sure you were in the thread about the 3rd brake light and adding the $5 module that creates the pulsating 3rd brake light. Completed that task, works great- nice safety issue. My wife was impressed! Maybe folks will stay back or go around. Fine with me.
My modules are on the way and should be here next week. Then comes the dash cam which will be hard wired in. I'm thinking of putting in another camera that faces backward and cover that angle as well.

Old 03-22-2015, 07:39 PM
Received 23 Likes on 16 Posts

Idea! May have already been mentioned, What if the cockpit air filter was damp?

Old 03-22-2015, 09:41 PM

Are you referring to the cabin air filter behind the glove compartment? If so, if moisture can get to the filter, it would seem reasonable for the moist air to fog up the window. The question remains if there is any solution for a remedy if in fact it's the cabin filter getting moist/wet. Thanks for your posting and thoughts.

Old 03-22-2015, 10:37 PM
Received 23 Likes on 16 Posts

Are you referring to the cabin air filter behind the glove compartment? If so, if moisture can get to the filter, it would seem reasonable for the moist air to fog up the window. The question remains if there is any solution for a remedy if in fact it's the cabin filter getting moist/wet. Thanks for your posting and thoughts.
If it is indeed wet I would change it and find the way the moisture is getting to it.

Old 03-26-2015, 06:29 PM
Received 375 Likes on 325 Posts

My solution for the condensaton, wait until the car s fully warmed up in humid weather, before driving off. Too dangerous any other way for me.

Old 01-10-2021, 01:59 PM
Received 531 Likes on 421 Posts

I know this is an old thread, but the title is exactly the issue I'm seeing on my Coupe. For example, I checked the car today and the steering wheel, instrument cluster & dash were covered in condensation. This issue has surfaced just in the past 6 months or so. With the cold weather right now, condensation was really significant today. Had to wipe down the steering wheel, dash & instrument cluster. Felt the carpet and didn't detect any moisture which would indicate a drainage leak from elsewhere. All window seals look to be in good condition.

Storage Conditions: I keep the car parked in the driveway under a car cover as the garage is already full of other vehicles. I have stored it this way from the beginning (12 years of ownership). I also place a windshield screen inside the cabin.

Old 01-10-2021, 03:03 PM
Received 343 Likes on 303 Posts

Might try one of those chemical dehumidifiers? They are inexpensive. I keep one in my motorhome in the winter.

Last edited by ZERACER; 01-10-2021 at 06:07 PM.

Quick Reply: Interior Condensation?