Interior Any questions or information related to interior go in here.

New headliner, pretty easy to replace.

Old 11-16-2016, 06:52 PM
Received 27 Likes on 21 Posts
Talking Re: New headliner, pretty easy to replace.

One thing I did was to wrap the liner over the edges so that it is also glued on the back. I enjoy the black material as it is less distracting to the eye and the side does not stand out as much as the grey material. Enjoy, WOody

Old 11-17-2016, 10:53 AM
Received 369 Likes on 321 Posts
Default Re: New headliner, pretty easy to replace.

Originally Posted by Natemo
Background: new member; I just got a 2005 Crossfire Coupe Limited with just over 30K miles. I'm very happy with car but the headliner is drooping on the driver's side. I debated just trying to get the liner loose on that side and spray adhesive into it but it seems like removing the whole headliner isn't that hard. No one has mentioned whether the rubber window seal needs to be removed. Is that necessary? More pictures of the process would be great! Thanks in advance for your help!

Natemo

Natemo, there are a number of very good tutorials that help remove and reinstall the headliner already posted in the documentation collection. Before you take a glove box door off (which is NOT necessary), read those tutorials. When I did my headliner, I did not have to remove the glove box door and one of the tutorials may be mine in said document collection. Gook luck!

Old 11-17-2016, 01:31 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I got my headliner out. It took me about an hour which for doing this for the first time isn't bad. It did take a bit to get the liner out of the car. From what I've read, I didn't do it right. I trying to figure out how to get it out, I spun it 180 degrees and then pulled the back (which was at the front) out first and wiggled it out.

Now to find material to cover it and get it back in. Is there a best practice for this?

Old 11-18-2016, 10:04 AM

Originally Posted by Natemo
I got my headliner out. It took me about an hour which for doing this for the first time isn't bad. It did take a bit to get the liner out of the car. From what I've read, I didn't do it right. I trying to figure out how to get it out, I spun it 180 degrees and then pulled the back (which was at the front) out first and wiggled it out.

Now to find material to cover it and get it back in. Is there a best practice for this?

Yes, research local dealerships who do headliner repairs (many almost always 'outsource' this task), and when you find one that offers a warranty AND adds a lip over the edges, review the 'reassembly' tutorials. My headliner job was SUPER inexpensive, and wherever you have it done it is well worth having it done by someone who has experience (or you may be doing it again very shortly). Good luck!

Old 11-18-2016, 11:07 AM
Received 533 Likes on 450 Posts

Originally Posted by GraphiteGhost
Yes, research local dealerships who do headliner repairs (many almost always 'outsource' this task), and when you find one that offers a warranty AND adds a lip over the edges, review the 'reassembly' tutorials. My headliner job was SUPER inexpensive, and wherever you have it done it is well worth having it done by someone who has experience (or you may be doing it again very shortly). Good luck!

Was it you who posted the removal instructions? I want to make a PDF on it but I could not find it.

Old 11-20-2016, 10:49 AM

Originally Posted by onehundred80
Was it you who posted the removal instructions? I want to make a PDF on it but I could not find it.

I did a detailed step-by-step but did not take pictures. If that was not me then the incredible shrinking brain kicked in again...

Let me look for it, have to find the time. OK, here it is (kidding about finding time, it is about all I have lately)! It is a 'checklist' tutorial (sort of) and it did get my job done 100%. I have to mention some folks have been able to get at the two real outer headliner 'pins' under the left and right upper rear trim panels, I wish I was able to know/try that before removing the rear trim assemblies (top and bottom left and right). Also, if you do take out the rear trim panels I have a number of the MB style (china 100% fit) upper rear quarter panels white nylon 'clips' if you break a couple like I did. Post 28 ( https://www.crossfireforum.org/forum...r-removal.html ), take your time, others have shortcuts but I say shortcuts sometimes cost a lot of $! I would suggest you read the entire post, and a few more. Print em, and use em when you do yours. GOOD LUCK!

Last edited by GraphiteGhost; 11-20-2016 at 10:58 AM.
Old 11-20-2016, 12:02 PM

I did a detailed step-by-step but did not take pictures. If that was not me then the incredible shrinking brain kicked in again...

Let me look for it, have to find the time. OK, here it is (kidding about finding time, it is about all I have lately)! It is a 'checklist' tutorial (sort of) and it did get my job done 100%. I have to mention some folks have been able to get at the two real outer headliner 'pins' under the left and right upper rear trim panels, I wish I was able to know/try that before removing the rear trim assemblies (top and bottom left and right). Also, if you do take out the rear trim panels I have a number of the MB style (china 100% fit) upper rear quarter panels white nylon 'clips' if you break a couple like I did. Post 28 ( https://www.crossfireforum.org/forum...r-removal.html ), take your time, others have shortcuts but I say shortcuts sometimes cost a lot of $! I would suggest you read the entire post, and a few more. Print em, and use em when you do yours. GOOD LUCK!

I easily found your post and I need to know if you rotated the headliner or not, also the part number of the clips.
Here is the PDF I did, do you agree with it? I'll modify it with regard to rotation and clip number.
Edited PDF CLICK

Last edited by onehundred80; 11-22-2016 at 10:38 AM.
Old 11-21-2016, 02:47 PM

I easily found your post and I need to know if you rotated the headliner or not, also the part number of the clips.
Here is the PDF I did, do you agree with it? I'll modify it with regard to rotation and clip number.

Hi Dave, I did not rotate when putting it back in and I simply cannot remember how I got it out BUT do remember trying to rotate it a number of times and ways. A posted .pdf in one of the 'headliner' replacement posts specifically says it does not need to be rotated, so again, I did not rotate it when re-installing it. I also want to thank you for creating the .pdf, it is just another example of your notable generosity of time and effort. The 'cheap' China trim clips were bought off 'fleabay' ( http://www.ebay.com/itm/50x-Oem-Mercedes-Benz-Inner-Door-Trim-Panel-Clips-Retainer-Fastener-0039884178-/181190859743?hash=item2a2fd11bdf&vxp=mtr ), the OEM MB part number is (according to another member post in my 'headliner' post) as: Mercedes A 0119887678 Interior Panel Fastener Clip BUT, all my 'clips' did not look like the one in that link (specifically that 'black' gasket type ring). The ones I bought worked/measured out/and fit exactly as the ones I took out. The ONLY difference was (again, as noted in my OP) that the 'top' circular disk had a small section missing and that missing section did not have any impact on its successful use. Might be a 'new/improved' upgraded one in that MB link but the source of that link was another members post in my OP.

I do know I tended to babble some in the OP, but if you have it printed in front of you when your doing the removal/install, it could help a lot. A lot of the rear 4 trim panel stuff, and those two flat panels below the rear side triangle windows, can be dropped IF you can get to those two 'pins' on either side of the rear headliner AND you can slide the headliner rearward a little before lowering the front of the headliner. Before I saw some of the other posts, I had decided to remove all those rear trim panels, so I could get a much better 'grip' on what was mounted, and where the mounting portions were. I just hope the tutorial can help others do a super job no matter which way they get it done. Thanks again for the .pdf!

Old 11-22-2016, 01:09 AM
JSK
Received 102 Likes on 85 Posts

Did mine recently and I didn't rotate coming out.

Old 11-22-2016, 10:41 AM

Hi Dave, I did not rotate when putting it back in and I simply cannot remember how I got it out BUT do remember trying to rotate it a number of times and ways. A posted .pdf in one of the 'headliner' replacement posts specifically says it does not need to be rotated, so again, I did not rotate it when re-installing it. I also want to thank you for creating the .pdf, it is just another example of your notable generosity of time and effort. The 'cheap' China trim clips were bought off 'fleabay' ( 50x Oem Mercedes Benz Inner Door Trim Panel Clips Retainer Fastener 0039884178 | eBay ), the OEM MB part number is (according to another member post in my 'headliner' post) as: Mercedes A 0119887678 Interior Panel Fastener Clip BUT, all my 'clips' did not look like the one in that link (specifically that 'black' gasket type ring). The ones I bought worked/measured out/and fit exactly as the ones I took out. The ONLY difference was (again, as noted in my OP) that the 'top' circular disk had a small section missing and that missing section did not have any impact on its successful use. Might be a 'new/improved' upgraded one in that MB link but the source of that link was another members post in my OP.

I do know I tended to babble some in the OP, but if you have it printed in front of you when your doing the removal/install, it could help a lot. A lot of the rear 4 trim panel stuff, and those two flat panels below the rear side triangle windows, can be dropped IF you can get to those two 'pins' on either side of the rear headliner AND you can slide the headliner rearward a little before lowering the front of the headliner. Before I saw some of the other posts, I had decided to remove all those rear trim panels, so I could get a much better 'grip' on what was mounted, and where the mounting portions were. I just hope the tutorial can help others do a super job no matter which way they get it done. Thanks again for the .pdf!

I edited the PDF and here it is CLICK
I asked about rotation of the liner because a later post by someone else mentioned rotating it.
I purchased those clips using your eBay link when you did the original post, hoping I would not need them for my liner. I think they are used on the door panels and the upper trunk liners in the coupe as well, if memory serves me correctly.

Last edited by onehundred80; 11-22-2016 at 10:48 AM.
Old 11-22-2016, 03:45 PM

I edited the PDF and here it is CLICK
I asked about rotation of the liner because a later post by someone else mentioned rotating it.
I purchased those clips using your eBay link when you did the original post, hoping I would not need them for my liner. I think they are used on the door panels and the upper trunk liners in the coupe as well, if memory serves me correctly.

You Da MAN, Dave! Thanks for the effort! Looks good.

Old 11-24-2016, 12:43 PM
Received 522 Likes on 415 Posts

I posted one some time back with pictures from Service Manual. If interested in that version, I'll re-post later this weekend when I get back from Vegas vacation.

Old 11-25-2016, 08:29 PM

Originally Posted by dedwards0323
I posted one some time back with pictures from Service Manual. If interested in that version, I'll re-post later this weekend when I get back from Vegas vacation.
Attached is the PDF I created from the XFire Service Manual.

Later,

Attached Files
Old 12-12-2016, 02:20 PM

Hi, I'm new to the crossfire world and my headline has fallen on me a month after i purchased it. Did I mention I love cars but don't know much about this one? What kind of glue did you guys use and how did you replace the headliner?

Old 12-12-2016, 05:53 PM

I used 3M 77. I can't promise anything because mine has only been in a month.

Old 01-05-2020, 07:02 PM

I had to replace my headliner about a year ago. Just kept drooping and drooping. I didn't take any pictures as I didn't do it myself. Found a guy in town with a reputable shop that did an excellent job. He found fabric that was very close to the original. Now that I am a part of this great group I will remember to take pictures. i'm just hoping Baby continues to age gracefully. LOL.

Old 04-06-2020, 04:30 PM

Just did mine.

Old 04-06-2020, 07:49 PM

Interesting look!!

Old 04-07-2020, 07:59 AM
Received 54 Likes on 43 Posts

A custom look I would expect to see at a SEMA car show. I like it.

I had to replace the headliners in both my coupes. My preference was to stay stock looking.

Old 04-07-2020, 09:46 AM

My PDF on the installation of a new recovered headliner. Look at the first video and the secret to remove the headliner is revealed at the time noted in the text.
CLICK for PDF

Last edited by onehundred80; 05-15-2021 at 03:27 PM.

Quick Reply: New headliner, pretty easy to replace.