Interior Any questions or information related to interior go in here.

Interior restoration/color change

Old 10-21-2016, 04:34 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Re: Interior restoration/color change

Originally Posted by thedarkfox
tried this with the exact opposite result. Splatter right from the start, followed light spray directions 2 cans in and not even coverage for one seat. Maybe I got bad cans? Who knows but I totally just ruined my passenger seat.
Sounds like Mike used an air spray paint gun, not cans. Probably the reason for the difference in the results.

Old 10-21-2016, 08:17 PM
Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by thedarkfox
tried this with the exact opposite result. Splatter right from the start, followed light spray directions 2 cans in and not even coverage for one seat. Maybe I got bad cans? Who knows but I totally just ruined my passenger seat.
Originally Posted by Rpaczan
Sounds like Mike used an air spray paint gun, not cans. Probably the reason for the difference in the results.
Nope, rattle cans the whole way. You need to shake the heck out of them first though.... don't skimp on that at all. It's now mid/late October and mine still look like I just did them yesterday.

Old 04-24-2018, 04:36 PM
Forum Regular
Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

Interesting thread. I have passed on a number of cars with interior colors I did not care for.
This could have been the fix. An update on how it held up would be of worth.

I must comment on my experience with a having a worn bolster in a Volvo redone by one of those guys who perform the service for dealers. The wear was minimal but the cost to fix was so reasonable, I thought I would give it a try. Even with a professional used by the local Mercedes dealer it was a mistake I regretted so much I sold the car.

The Volvo V70R has a model specific soft leather that is a trick blue/black with a medium sheen. Despite the tech's assurances, he could not match the color. At least as bad is what it did to the feel of the leather. Instead of super soft and pliable the surface felt hard just like paint instead of a dye. The paint product also lacked the sheen and was an unnatural flat when dry. My small scrub area on a bolster became a spreading monster as he attempted to bleed it to match the other panels.

Old 06-14-2019, 02:01 PM
Forum Regular
Received 132 Likes on 104 Posts

These later horror stories make me think that step #1 in this process would be to go to a junkyard and ask them to buy their cheapest leather seat in a color that fairly matched what was on my car. Then, obviously, do my worst on that seat to see how it turns out.