Interior Any questions or information related to interior go in here.

Weak air flow from heater vents

Old 04-19-2016, 05:00 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Weak air flow from heater vents

Hi, Have fitted new fan speed controller and fan works as it should. However, even on fastest speed, the air flow from the vents is very weak. I have even tried it with the pollen filter removed, no improvement. I have done a side by side comparison with friends Crossfire and his is definitely stronger air flow. It's as if there is a blockage in the system after the fan, any ideas ?
Mick
06' AeroBlue Coupe

Old 04-19-2016, 07:48 AM
Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
Default Re: Weak air flow from heater vents

I have to ask: have you closed the dash vents? That re-directs flow to your feet, regardless of the dash control **** setting-it's a "Euro" thing.

Old 04-19-2016, 04:38 PM

Originally Posted by maxcichon
I have to ask: have you closed the dash vents? That re-directs flow to your feet, regardless of the dash control **** setting-it's a "Euro" thing.
Yes, have tried most all combinations of fan switch position and closing vents. With switch in face level only (9 O'Clock), 3 vents closed, still weak glow from the 4th. Have done same test against my mate's Crossfire and his flow is way more than mine

Old 04-20-2016, 12:44 PM

Originally Posted by Oconnom
Yes, have tried most all combinations of fan switch position and closing vents. With switch in face level only (9 O'Clock), 3 vents closed, still weak glow from the 4th. Have done same test against my mate's Crossfire and his flow is way more than mine
Ok. I have heard of issues with the diverter door (deep inside the dash) getting stuck. A PITA to get ot, but cheap to fix.

Provided, of course, you DIY.

Old 04-20-2016, 01:07 PM

Is the airflow any better when you press the air recirculation button?

Old 04-20-2016, 01:54 PM
Received 535 Likes on 452 Posts

Originally Posted by maxcichon
Ok. I have heard of issues with the diverter door (deep inside the dash) getting stuck. A PITA to get ot, but cheap to fix.

Provided, of course, you DIY.
That has been a problem a number of times, I seem to recall that the vacuum line under the battery has something to do with that diverter valve, there is also that white valve thing-a-me-jig near the interior air filter that has something to do with it as well - I think anyway.
The line under the battery has been eaten by battery acid in the past.

Old 04-20-2016, 02:05 PM
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by onehundred80

The line under the battery has been eaten by battery acid in the past.
Or crushed, or cut in half, when installing a new battery.

Old 04-22-2016, 11:16 PM
Received 369 Likes on 321 Posts

Hello! Have you ever taken the AC/Heat control head out for any reason? There is a couple (if I remember correctly) of 'keyed' shafts that MUST be correctly inserted to properly 'direct' the airflow. The shaft(s) control the manual damper positions inside the system plenum chambers. Just a thought, if not correctly attached, you'll never get proper airflow control.

Old 04-29-2016, 11:38 AM

Thnaks for the recent replies. I have never removed the dashboard fan switch and I'd be very surprised if previous owner had. Moving the air control **** does re-direct the air to the relevan vents, it's just very weak flow from all outlet vents
If I press the recirc button, something happens inside the dash as the noise changes completely but flow does not incerease.
I removed the scuttle plate and checked that the air intake was not obstructed, all clear.

It's as if the main route from the fan output is restricted in some way ?

I have replaced the battery, so will check I haven't cruxhed the vacuum pipe.
Mick

Old 04-29-2016, 04:23 PM

Why was the controller replaced?
I assume that the fan does actually speed up as it is turned, and that the problem has occured after fitting the new controller?

Old 04-29-2016, 04:26 PM

Why was the controller replaced?
I assume that the fan does actually speed up as it is turned, and that the problem has occured after fitting the new controller?
By fan controller , I mean the electronic component that fits to the fan housing, not the actual rotary **** on the dash. Fan operates normally and speeds up as **** turned up

Old 04-29-2016, 04:36 PM

By fan controller , I mean the electronic component that fits to the fan housing, not the actual rotary **** on the dash. Fan operates normally and speeds up as **** turned up
OK, but is this a new problem that occured after fitting the controller?
Is the controller new, used?
You did put everything back as it should be?

Old 04-29-2016, 04:40 PM

OK, but is this a new problem that occured after fitting the controller?
Is the controller new, used?
You did put everything back as it should be?
It was a brand new controller unit. To be honest, I don't know whether it was working OK before I changed it. The best of controller failed in the 'always on mode'.
I suppose the new controller may not be giving full voltage at max speed, I'll check

Old 05-03-2016, 05:18 AM

Checked the vacuum line under the battery, it's intact and looks perfect. In fact, I cant see how it could be crushed by the battery as it is under the battery tray ? I suppose acid could damamge it, but it's fine.

Old 05-03-2016, 11:16 AM

In fact, I cant see how it could be crushed by the battery as it is under the battery tray ?
I don't understand how it happened either. But ,when I first got the car and removed the battery. There it was crushed an in 2 pieces. I had to cut it back, 1/2" on each side, to get a good smooth surface to make a repair.

Old 01-12-2017, 06:36 AM

Hi,
Stil have ongoing issue with low airflow from heater vents. Latest check was to insert a camera upstream of the fan to check for blockages on the heater core, none found. My next thought was a faulty fan motor i.e. a fan that spins slower than norma,l even when supplied with full voltage. Wehn set to fastest speed I measure 12v across the motor and 15 amps flowing tjrough the motor via fuse 36.
Can someone measure their current through fuse 36 with engine running and fan set to fastest speed so I can compare ?
Thanks in advance
Mick
'06 Aeroblue Coupe

Old 01-13-2017, 04:49 PM

You may want to search on here for the resistor that is in the switch itself. It is a known problem. I believe there is a downloadable PDF to guide you through the process.

Old 01-14-2017, 06:45 AM

Im sure that's not the problem.I have checked the input to the speed controller from the fan switch and it is correct. Also, the voltage fed to the fan from the controller is correct.
Mick

Old 01-14-2017, 09:56 AM

Is this a new problem that has developed since you purchased the car or did the car come with this problem.
I think all the air is directed over the heating and cooling ex changers, could they be somehow partially covered.
Somewhere it says that the dial in the dash uses rods to divert air, could you have a problem there?
I think most problems like this are a result of the blend door not functioning properly.

Last edited by onehundred80; 01-14-2017 at 10:14 AM.
Old 01-14-2017, 11:35 AM

Just measured current through a friend's fan on full speed and same as mine (approx 15/16 amps).
Trying to understand how the diverter/blend doors work. If I have my fan on full and test all vent positions and the recirc. button, they all work OK and divert air to the correct vents, The temp controls work OK, can adjust cold to hot on both sides of cabin. If there was a blockage in the system somewhere that is restricting the air, I would expect the fan speed ti increase if the blockage was removed. I removed the pollen filter and left the pollent filter chamber open, fan speed (and current draw) does not change, so wouldn't that indicate no blockage upstream in the system? The reduced airflow occurs from all vents (screen, face, floor).
Looking at the system diagram and the vent controller, I assume each vent (face, screen and footwell) has its own door/flap ? If yes, these are all working the same i.e. cant see a fault that would affect all flaps ? The reciirc. flap fully opens and closes. I've put an endoscope camera upstream from the pollen fiilter and no sign of any debris blocking the evaporator core,unfortunately can't get access to look at the heater core which is next upstream. After the heatwer core, the airflow is directed to the various vent flaps.
Mick

Quick Reply: Weak air flow from heater vents