Interior Any questions or information related to interior go in here.

Power seats not working

Old 07-02-2016, 07:57 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Power seats not working

The power seats on my 2005 limited coupe intermitently stop working, then start working again for no apparent reason. One day they work. The next they don't. The next they do again. This affect both seats at the same time. I've checked the fuses when they stop working but the fuses are good.

What else can I look at that would affect both seats at the same time?

Thanks

Curt

Old 07-02-2016, 08:39 PM
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Re: Power seats not working

Originally Posted by Raindem
The power seats on my 2005 limited coupe intermitently stop working, then start working again for no apparent reason. One day they work. The next they don't. The next they do again. This affect both seats at the same time. I've checked the fuses when they stop working but the fuses are good.

Thanks

Curt
Power seat relay.check the repair manual, you can find it here on the forum and download it . Or use the search function and type in power seat relay.😉

Last edited by Kingdav1954; 07-02-2016 at 08:42 PM.
Old 07-02-2016, 09:44 PM

Yes, I have the repair manual. Where is the relay located? It's not in the relay control module and the book doesn't say where it is at. Thanks.

Old 07-02-2016, 11:00 PM
Received 543 Likes on 459 Posts

Thanks

Curt
You can read this PDF I did and see what your problem might be, also see where the relay is located on the firewall. CLICK

Old 07-02-2016, 11:46 PM

Ah. I knew there was a PDF on here about this but I couldn't find it in my first search. Thanks, that was very helpful.

So if I understand this correctly, the sole purpose of this relay is to control operation of the seats depending on whether the doors are open or closed? I don't understand why they thought that was necesssary but that's a rant for another time.

I'm terrible at soldering so I'll probably just replace it. But what would be the harm of jumpering the connector so that there is always power to the seats? Would it run down the battery when the vehicle was parked?

Old 07-03-2016, 11:01 AM
Received 375 Likes on 325 Posts

Ah. I knew there was a PDF on here about this but I couldn't find it in my first search. Thanks, that was very helpful.

So if I understand this correctly, the sole purpose of this relay is to control operation of the seats depending on whether the doors are open or closed? I don't understand why they thought that was necesssary but that's a rant for another time.

I'm terrible at soldering so I'll probably just replace it. But what would be the harm of jumpering the connector so that there is always power to the seats? Would it run down the battery when the vehicle was parked?

And risk making a wrong connection or shorting something out? If the relay is bad, just replace it. If it is a loose wire, replacing the relay will not help. The relay replacement may be the least expensive option (which I subscribe to, least expensive), but if it doesn't work you'll have to get the wiring diagram and hunt a loose connection (not a good thing to look forward too).

Old 07-04-2016, 10:41 AM
Administrator
Received 884 Likes on 689 Posts

If BOTH seats refuse to move, then BOTH work, then later BOTH refuse to move - it's the seat relay.

Old 07-04-2016, 01:37 PM

Yep, I agree it's the relay. I don't look foward to replacing it. I always seem to break things when I try to take a dash apart for the first time.

Old 07-04-2016, 02:00 PM
Administrator
Received 884 Likes on 689 Posts

It's easy. You can use the "Sticky Key" tutorial (and while you are at it, you should DO the sticky key mod, as well).

If you don't go ahead and do the sticky key mod - you need only follow the first few steps of the process. I beleive all you need is a #2 phillips screwdriver.