Interior Any questions or information related to interior go in here.

Power Seat Relay Bypass

Old 10-12-2016, 07:07 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Power Seat Relay Bypass

I had intermittent issue with the power seat in the ZH and had enough. When I touch the power seat controls, I want it to do what I want it to do when I want to do it. the idea that I have to open the door with the ignition off or ignition on if the door is closed...enough already!

Remove the lower drivers knee panel and locate the power seat relay to the left of the steering column mounted on a sub plate. Pull the relay and jumper pin 8 to pin 2 (the two middle cavities) with spade connectors and a short piece of #14 wire and done. Your seat will now do whatever you want them to do when you want them to do it without this problematic relay.

The wife is so happy without this German over engineering. I can see safety issues if the seats were memory seats that should not move if the seat belts are fastened. They move when I want them...every time and without that $50 relay.

Old 10-13-2016, 02:17 PM
Received 374 Likes on 324 Posts
Default Re: Power Seat Relay Bypass

Originally Posted by Yanksmell
Remove the lower drivers knee panel and locate the power seat relay to the left of the steering column mounted on a sub plate. Pull the relay and jumper pin 8 to pin 2 (the two middle cavities) with spade connectors and a short piece of #14 wire and done. Your seat will now do whatever you want them to do when you want them to do it without this problematic relay.

Just be sure to document your modification so that the next owner can reverse this safety modification you bypassed.

Old 10-13-2016, 02:33 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Safety Issue???? Where is this a safety issue. Originally the seat moves when the door is open or with the ignition on and moving. Explain to all where the seat being inoperative with the ignition off is safer than the seats being operative...the ZH has no memory seat function remember.

the real safety issue is my wife getting into this car with the seat 4 inches to far back and the relay fails and she has to drive it with her feet 4 inches further away from the clutch and peering through a steering wheel spoke...now that's a safety issue. Never heard of a death in a car because the seats moved with the ignition off. I suppose kids playing in a car could run the seat all the way up but...where is that a safety issue.

Old 10-13-2016, 03:20 PM
Received 374 Likes on 324 Posts

Safety Issue???? Where is this a safety issue. Originally the seat moves when the door is open or with the ignition on and moving. Explain to all where the seat being inoperative with the ignition off is safer than the seats being operative...the ZH has no memory seat function remember.

the real safety issue is my wife getting into this car with the seat 4 inches to far back and the relay fails and she has to drive it with her feet 4 inches further away from the clutch and peering through a steering wheel spoke...now that's a safety issue. Never heard of a death in a car because the seats moved with the ignition off. I suppose kids playing in a car could run the seat all the way up but...where is that a safety issue.

The seat relay problem is well documented, if it is that diode on the relay circuit board, it is an easy fix, if your not able to handle repairing it, the relay needed is easily acquired with a little research and acquisition of a replacement. It does not have to cost $50 bucks. That diode is maybe $1.25, and replacing it is super easy for those with simple soldering skills (and an ohm meter to know which one needs replacing). There is even a very detailed tutorial that Dave (180) might have in his documents listing.

If you don't plan on permanently fixing it, then leave the next owner with the information needed to fix it. I believe it IS a safety issue. Entrapment comes to mind, I don't know why it is designed the way it is but if you don't think it worth it to 'fix' it, give the next guy the opportunity to fix it. Wouldn't you want to know about 'bypassed' relays (or the like) when you buy a vehicle?

Old 03-15-2017, 07:55 PM
Received 54 Likes on 43 Posts

I had intermittent issue with the power seat in the ZH and had enough. When I touch the power seat controls, I want it to do what I want it to do when I want to do it. the idea that I have to open the door with the ignition off or ignition on if the door is closed...enough already!

The wife is so happy without this German over engineering. I can see safety issues if the seats were memory seats that should not move if the seat belts are fastened. They move when I want them...every time and without that $50 relay.

Great fix option! Many thanks for sharing the information.

Old 03-16-2017, 10:18 AM
Received 540 Likes on 456 Posts

I would say the safety issue is that there is power to the seat motors all the time, even with the ignition OFF. So if the car goes up in smoke one day you may know the reason.

Old 03-16-2017, 05:31 PM
Received 61 Likes on 49 Posts

Thanks Dave.
Now I'm waiting to get sued for the 1st Crossy to burn up cuz of the Me So Horny mod!!!

Old 03-16-2017, 06:31 PM
Received 540 Likes on 456 Posts

Originally Posted by tighed1
Thanks Dave.
Now I'm waiting to get sued for the 1st Crossy to burn up cuz of the Me So Horny mod!!!
A fault in the seat motors wiring may show what real seat heaters can do.

Old 03-17-2017, 11:23 PM
Received 54 Likes on 43 Posts

Taking a short trip with the wife this evening in her 2016 Jeep Renegade I tried the power seats without the ignition being on and they worked. When we got home I tried my 2013 Dodge Charger power seats and they also work without the ignition being on.