re-did steering wheel - CrossfireForum - The Chrysler Crossfire and SRT6 Resource

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 03-18-2017, 10:14 AM

Default re-did steering wheel

I have looked for ways to clean or rejuvenate the Alabaster steering wheel, and I finally found a way.
I was looking for Dye or shoe polish to match but couldn't find one. I found a website where they were changing the color of cheap leather purses. They gave instructions, and it sounded like it would work on my project. Surprisingly it takes acrylic latex paint (there is a leather paint, but it is the same thing). The hard part is matching the color. In the craft section at Walmart they have small bottles of latex paint. Get 1 yellow and 1 brown and 1 white. (50 cents each) I used about half of the white to start, and a little brown and a very little yellow. You will have to adjust back and forth until the color matches, but I got it exactly after about 3 tries. Mask off the center part. (I just painted the outer part).
I cleaned the wheel good, masked it, painted the first and second coats with a watered down (1 to 1 mixture of paint to water) Wait about 15 to 20 min. between coats (Do not let it dry completely). Then paint the third coat with undiluted paint. I was surprised that it turned out so well, it looks like a new wheel. You can still see the texture of the leather.
Here is a "before and after" picture.
Old 03-18-2017, 10:27 AM

Default Re: re-did steering wheel

Wow, it looks like new!
Old 03-18-2017, 11:45 AM

Wow
What a great idea

It look new
Old 03-18-2017, 11:48 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ewaynec View Post
I have looked for ways to clean or rejuvenate the Alabaster steering wheel, and I finally found a way.
I was looking for Dye or shoe polish to match but couldn't find one. I found a website where they were changing the color of cheap leather purses. They gave instructions, and it sounded like it would work on my project. Surprisingly it takes acrylic latex paint (there is a leather paint, but it is the same thing). The hard part is matching the color. In the craft section at Walmart they have small bottles of latex paint. Get 1 yellow and 1 brown and 1 white. (50 cents each) I used about half of the white to start, and a little brown and a very little yellow. You will have to adjust back and forth until the color matches, but I got it exactly after about 3 tries. Mask off the center part. (I just painted the outer part).
I cleaned the wheel good, masked it, painted the first and second coats with a watered down (1 to 1 mixture of paint to water) Wait about 15 to 20 min. between coats (Do not let it dry completely). Then paint the third coat with undiluted paint. I was surprised that it turned out so well, it looks like a new wheel. You can still see the texture of the leather.
Here is a "before and after" picture.
The first picture looks wheelly wotten, but the the second pic looks wheelly, wheelly good.
You could say it turned out wheelly well.
Old 03-18-2017, 12:06 PM
Forum Regular

Very clever solution. Thanks for sharing!
Old 03-18-2017, 02:35 PM

Great job Wayne ! See you in Eureka Springs .
Old 03-19-2017, 06:28 AM

Truly an amazing DIY task and very creative. I was perusing the Colorbond website for leather dyeing and they actually have a video about using their product to restore a steering wheel & associated trim pieces to "factory new" appearance. I couldn't help but think about owners with the two-tone Dark Slate Gray & Cool Vanilla interiors that have the "white" steering wheel. Seems like using the Dark Slate Gray Colorbond product to dye that steering wheel (including airbag) would be an interesting DIY project. (Note: Masking the airbag could be a major DIY project in & by itself.) During 2008 model release, Chrysler actually delivered the two-tone Dark Gray/Vanilla interiors with a Dark Gray steering wheel. Actually looked pretty good that way.

Once again, a very good restoration job! Congratulations!

Last edited by dedwards0323; 03-19-2017 at 06:36 AM.