Midwest Forum Serving CO, IA, IL, IN, KS, MI, MN, MO, MT, ND, NE, SD, UT, WI, WY.

Structural Damage

Search this Thread

Old 01-20-2014, 01:09 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Unhappy Structural Damage

Been waiting for the perfect crossfire for a while - finally found one I fell in love with and stupidly purchased w/o prior inspection - drove great and had a clean carfax - during inspection Firestone pointed out what was evidence of previous structural damage in the front wheel well - like it had been hit at some point and time and was repainted w rust underneath the paint - his assessment was in couldn't be fixed because of unibody structure and he also felt it may be unsafe - not sure what next steps to take - I love the car and the dealer isn't going to do anything about it - but is it true that it cant be modified to be structurally sound? Prob a stupid question - but like I said Im a crossfire rookie -

Old 01-20-2014, 01:13 PM
Received 543 Likes on 459 Posts
Default Re: Structural Damage

Originally Posted by sjb2faa
Been waiting for the perfect crossfire for a while - finally found one I fell in love with and stupidly purchased w/o prior inspection - drove great and had a clean carfax - during inspection Firestone pointed out what was evidence of previous structural damage in the front wheel well - like it had been hit at some point and time and was repainted w rust underneath the paint - his assessment was in couldn't be fixed because of unibody structure and he also felt it may be unsafe - not sure what next steps to take - I love the car and the dealer isn't going to do anything about it - but is it true that it cant be modified to be structurally sound? Prob a stupid question - but like I said Im a crossfire rookie -
If it is unsafe then surely the dealer is liable to take back the car. There are plenty around and having the car that is faulty is not wise, the resale value is little and you are expected to name all problems. Good luck.

Old 01-22-2014, 10:47 AM
Forum Regular
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

When I purchased mine it to came with a Carfax buy back guarantee. Not sure how that works or if it is even worth the paper it's printed on but, that may give you an option. If the car can not be fixed and it's unsafe I would think the dealer has some responsibility. Unfortunately you may need to retain a lawyer.

Old 01-22-2014, 12:47 PM
Received 35 Likes on 34 Posts

Anything can be repaired by someone who knows what they are doing. A good body shop with frame straightening capability should be able to help.

Does it drive straight and even, no pull ? Does it crab at all (have someone follow) ? Are the tires wearing evenly ?

Next issue is where is the damage ? If in the front of the wheel well ahead of the suspension it may just be cosmetic, it all depends on where and what.

If all of that is good I would be more concerned about the rust.

Finally if the car was misrepresented you may have a case but is liable to come back to "caveat y'all". I would send a registered letter to the dealer advising him of what was found and who found it so that you have a record of what happened as soon after purchase as possible.