Midwest Forum Serving CO, IA, IL, IN, KS, MI, MN, MO, MT, ND, NE, SD, UT, WI, WY.

Shawnee wine trail

Search this Thread

Old 03-29-2014, 04:32 PM
Received 13 Likes on 13 Posts
Default Shawnee wine trail

Shawnee wine trail. Around Carbondale IL.
If anyone wants to explore good roads and visit any of 14 wineries let me know and I will show you around. I live on the front of the wine trail.

Old 02-24-2015, 10:35 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Re: Shawnee wine trail

About 45 years ago I visited a friend who rented a shack in the national forest down there.Had a 70 Triumph GT6+ back then. Roads were empty and I let it all hang out. Sliding the turns etc.Had to buy tires when I got home. Is the area still pretty unpopulated? I live in St.Paul,.MN. If I ever get down there I'll contact you.

Old 02-25-2015, 02:41 AM

Conditions on alot of the good side roads went downhill past couple years, and on weekend the wine trail roads can get crowded sometimes, but there is always a road somewhere.
with more and more wineries every year it is turning into a tourist area, lots of cabins around, if you like a cruise and scenery also of course wine it is good time, if you look up Shawnee hills wine trail you can c a map that has alot of the wineries on it but there are a few that are not on the map.

Old 02-08-2016, 07:51 AM

Awesome new brewery and restaurant open down the road from me on the wine trail.
Abby ridge.
Me and wife took a extended weekend drive last year and went to Herman missouri and wine trail there, it was really highly rated, and have heard sooooo many compliments about there, we both thought it was really really bad experience there, nothing close like we are used to here in southern IL.

Old 02-08-2016, 06:00 PM
Received 505 Likes on 349 Posts

Originally Posted by Speedy4x4
Awesome new brewery and restaurant open down the road from me on the wine trail.
Abby ridge.
Me and wife took a extended weekend drive last year and went to Herman missouri and wine trail there, it was really highly rated, and have heard sooooo many compliments about there, we both thought it was really really bad experience there, nothing close like we are used to here in southern IL.

Herman MO wineries are overrated. IMO

Highway 94 south of Weldon Springs to Washington MO is loaded with decent Wineries. Near Wright City MO off county road M is one called Cedar Lakes. Rather new but very very nice. But I must admit, there are some fine ones in southern IL.

Last edited by Franc Rauscher; 02-09-2016 at 11:10 AM.
Old 02-08-2016, 06:22 PM

Originally Posted by Franc Rauscher
But I must admit, there are some fine ones in southern IL.
We where sooooo disappointed in Herman, MO.

Sooooo many around me now, between the wineries and micro breweries, and there are several that are not on the Shawnee wine trails list because of the outrageous $$$ it costs just to on that list.

How log ago has it been since you where down here?
You remember which ones you went to?

Old 02-09-2016, 12:21 AM

I remember going there, but not much after that.

THEY ARE WINERIES,,,,,,, RIGHT?

Old 02-09-2016, 07:27 AM

I remember going there, but not much after that.

THEY ARE WINERIES,,,,,,, RIGHT?
HAHAHAHA
know what you mean.
There are party busses that shuffle some ppl around.

Old 02-09-2016, 10:57 AM

HAHAHAHA
know what you mean.
There are party busses that shuffle some ppl around.

Actually I do remember Owl Creek and Blue Sky. Both of which are on the trail. Blue Sky was amazing. There were others near Red Bud and Chester. I just don't recall the names.
I would like to try Ponoma which is a fruit winery, nothing from grapes. Apple and pear wines are exceptional and Crumpy's favorites.

I am partial to blackberry. Crown Valley, of Jefferson county MO is my favorite Blackberry wine.. They also have a White Riesling that is to die for. I keep both in my cellar.
There is a winery north and west of Alton, " Little Prairie" I think. Small place but ,,,, Great fruit wines.

Are you part of the Gateway group?

Last edited by Franc Rauscher; 02-09-2016 at 11:04 AM.
Old 02-09-2016, 02:14 PM

Actually I do remember Owl Creek and Blue Sky. Both of which are on the trail. Blue Sky was amazing. There were others near Red Bud and Chester. I just don't recall the names.
I would like to try Ponoma which is a fruit winery, nothing from grapes. Apple and pear wines are exceptional and Crumpy's favorites.

I am partial to blackberry. Crown Valley, of Jefferson county MO is my favorite Blackberry wine.. They also have a White Riesling that is to die for. I keep both in my cellar.
There is a winery north and west of Alton, " Little Prairie" I think. Small place but ,,,, Great fruit wines.

Are you part of the Gateway group?
I don't do facebook.
Pheasant hollow has a blackberry that alot love, I like there red and blue, strawberry and blueberry.
Blu sky isn't bad, owl creek is good, they have a hard apple called apple knocker that my wife likes.
Pomona is a definite have to try. One of the original wineries here, when they opened it was a gravel road.
Pomona is our favorite, and right beside pomona is a guy I used to work with that opens a restaurant about 7 years ago, Maces place, have not been there in quite awhile but I used to get his ribs all the time. Got to love it when you get ribs and pickup the bone and it is so tender that the meat almost stays on the plate.
Don't know if it changed but it was awesome.

If there is any kind of wine like a peach etc. Let me know before you come down and I could point you in a direction.

Old 02-09-2016, 04:04 PM

I think pomona and hedman has a blackberry also.
St James there in mo has a blackberry, they have every fruit. I like there cherry.

Old 02-09-2016, 04:18 PM

I don't do facebook.
Pheasant hollow has a blackberry that alot love, I like there red and blue, strawberry and blueberry.
Blu sky isn't bad, owl creek is good, they have a hard apple called apple knocker that my wife likes.
Pomona is a definite have to try. One of the original wineries here, when they opened it was a gravel road.
Pomona is our favorite, and right beside pomona is a guy I used to work with that opens a restaurant about 7 years ago, Maces place, have not been there in quite awhile but I used to get his ribs all the time. Got to love it when you get ribs and pickup the bone and it is so tender that the meat almost stays on the plate.
Don't know if it changed but it was awesome.

If there is any kind of wine like a peach etc. Let me know before you come down and I could point you in a direction.

I don't do facebook either. However, the wife does. Next Gateway GTG I'll try and remember to contact you. I'll also let Ruth Zerface know about you. She and Eric tend to schedule most of our forays.

We, the Gateway Crossfire Group, generally take one weekend a month in Spring and the late summertime to terrorize a few distant wineries.

Old 02-09-2016, 07:07 PM

We, the Gateway Crossfire Group, generally take one weekend a month in Spring and the late summertime to terrorize a few distant wineries.
Would be glad to show you around these, and some of the rental cabins around also.
If I hear about something going on would like to head up there, problem is my weekends are soooooo busy with me gone during the week.

Old 04-18-2016, 01:10 PM

Me and wife like going on the wine trail on fridays, not many ppl during the day.