New England Forum Serving CT, ME, MA, NH, RI, VT

Pig Roast-v-Clambake

Search this Thread

Old 05-07-2008, 03:36 PM
Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Pig Roast-v-Clambake

Polling members to see if they would prefer a pigroast over a clambake on next cruise (late July probally Central Mass). Several members expressed costs concerns over crustaceans but a reasonable pig roast SHOULD run everyone under $10.

Old 05-07-2008, 03:46 PM
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Default Re: Pig Roast-v-Clambake

I'd be in for either depending on the day and time.

Old 05-07-2008, 04:19 PM
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

oink oink if I can buy a real car by then.

Old 05-07-2008, 05:53 PM

I will look into some pre-prepared Pig-in-a-box butchers and get some figures. We also need date guidance from members...late July/early Aug or around Labor Day?

Old 05-08-2008, 03:55 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

My sister has a pig roast twice a year.. and usually they put the pig on at 8 am.. and its not done until early evening... so were you thinking of getting one precooked too???
( just questioning since i know it takes a LONG time to roast a whole pig..) or maybe you were thinking just a loin,,,??

Originally Posted by Nightrider
Polling members to see if they would prefer a pigroast over a clambake on next cruise (late July probally Central Mass). Several members expressed costs concerns over crustaceans but a reasonable pig roast SHOULD run everyone under $10.

Old 05-08-2008, 04:28 AM

Any help in this area will be greatly apreaciated Jen. We were kicking about another cruise around Sturbridge (Mass) area for mid to late summer. Pig Roasts seem economical and we'd probally want pre-cooked. You have my e-mail if u can provide some guidance in this area. Options are Sunday ride with excursions to the huge Brimfield Flea markets and or Quabbin run. Meeting and pigging out at Streeter Point Park in Sturbridge (swimming, fishing & picnicing) or several other thngs available in Sturbridge..Old Sturbridge Village/shopping/Hyland Brewery. Thats why we were seriously opting pre-cooked...time factor.

Last edited by Nightrider; 05-08-2008 at 05:46 AM.
Old 05-08-2008, 07:22 AM
Forum Regular

I would prefer a Pig Roast to a Clambake. You would probably find the Pig Roast less costly per person, but many pig cookers require a minimum of around 75 people. With a group our size it may be better to visit a BBQ place that offers such a thing and seating would be available. Getting a Pig Roast in a box to go may not be quite as appetizing as having it cooked for you and be able to eat it before it gets cold.

I'm away a lot during the months of June, July, and August so depending on what date it is will determine my attendance status. There are many more great XFire cruising days during the year than great boating days. I love to take advantage of what summer has to offer and spend as much time as I can on the islands off our coast.

Bob

Old 05-08-2008, 08:19 AM

Thanx for input this cruise is still very preliminary. we listen to all.

Old 05-08-2008, 02:03 PM
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Obviously the weekend of Carlisle in july would be bad. I also am on vacation the 3rd week of august(not sure will double check).

Old 05-09-2008, 09:31 AM

Originally Posted by Nightrider
Any help in this area will be greatly apreaciated Jen. We were kicking about another cruise around Sturbridge (Mass) area for mid to late summer. Pig Roasts seem economical and we'd probally want pre-cooked. You have my e-mail if u can provide some guidance in this area. Options are Sunday ride with excursions to the huge Brimfield Flea markets and or Quabbin run. Meeting and pigging out at Streeter Point Park in Sturbridge (swimming, fishing & picnicing) or several other thngs available in Sturbridge..Old Sturbridge Village/shopping/Hyland Brewery. Thats why we were seriously opting pre-cooked...time factor.
As i said in a PM to you.. i am thinking just a normal BBQ for simplicity sake would be a lot easier and more economical. A raw big costs about 140.00 and a cooked pig is more like 250- 300.. at the low end. for a 40-50 pound pig. and i dont eat that much to want to pitch in 20 bucks.. .. ( personal preference..and not that economical since we would all still have to bring the extras..like salads..rolls.. drink.. chips.. ect ) The simple BBQ was really nice this past trip.. so why make it complicated? Chicken. ribs, burgers, hot dogs... SO MUCH easier.. and not a lot of responsibility on anyone... this is a gathering not a wedding..lol...

as a chef.. i would say if the plan gets to elaborate it will prevent people from participating and then there will be like ten people splitting a whole pig.. ewwww.. .thats like pig for a year..

So although i thought it would be fun I vote for simplicity like the last time.. it was nice.. easy.. and low commitment from everyone.. and no one forked over cash and had to "collect" money... a nice pot luck is low drama..

Thats just "food for thought".....

Its one meal together.. we should just enjoy the cars and company.. and the food is the added bonus..

Old 05-09-2008, 09:54 AM
Forum Regular

Knowing the size of our group and not knowing exactly how many people may attend, I think Jen's advice should be a point well taken. The cookout at Colt State Park worked out well and there was more than enough food for everyone.

A Pig Roast would be doable but we would have to join forces with another group (car club) to increase our numbers to make a minimum count. Money would have to be collectedin advance because if a pig cooking caterer shows up he or she will want their money up front, rain or shine, and we know inclement weather may scare some people away.

Other options would be making reservations, for whatever number of people we have, at a restaurant or BBQ place. That way everyone just pays for their dinner and not the dinners of those who couldn't make the trip.

Bob