New Member Introductions Welcome new members !! This is the place to post a new thread and introduce yourself and tell us a little about yourself and what model Crossfire you just bought or are looking to buy. Threads created for anything other than introductions are subject to be moved to the appropriate section in the forum for the topic being posted.

New guy from Northern VA!

Old 03-17-2014, 04:13 PM
Forum Regular
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Default New guy from Northern VA!

Hello everyone!

I've been lurking on here for a while and decided to finally go ahead and make an account/introduce myself.

I'm Josh, I live in Northern VA (Haymarket) and I recently just picked up a black '05 SRT-6. Back around November of last year I decided to put my previous car up for sale ('05 Mazdaspeed Miata) and ultimately wanted to find a black SRT-6 with under 50k on it. I've always liked SRT-6's (mainly due to how rare they are and how so few people realize their performance potential) and I decided that I had began "outgrowing" the Miata and wanted something a little bit more grown up and sophisticated without sacrifising RWD/boost that I had grown to love with owning the Miata for the last four years. Needless to say, the SRT-6 hit all the right sweet spots and was well within my price range so I quickly decided it was a no brainer. I sold the Miata about two months ago and started the hunt. I actually lucked out because I found one for sale fitting that criteria that was only about 25 miles away. Black and only had 42,xxx miles on it......I was sold.

Now......a 9 year old black car typically comes with it's fair share of "character" and this car was no exception. The clearcoat was kind of rough, it had quite a few mild surface scratches, swirl marks galore and a few dents/dings here and there. But it only had 42k on it and was already equipped with a Needswings CAI (single), Eurocharged Performance ECU/TCU tunes, a Sprintbooster and 6K HID's - all things that were on my 'to-buy' list anways - so I decided that the pros outweighed the cons. Since picking the car up I have had paintless dent removal on the 3 dents and it's currently having a one-stage paint correction performed along with a full exterior/engine bay detail and having the rock chips fixed using the Dr. Colorchip system. The place that is detailing it is also tinting my windows (35% all around). Since I am doing somewhat of a "refresh" on the car I also decided to order new OEM Chrysler badges for the front grill/rear hatch to replace the heavily faded ones that came on the car (I prefer the OEM Chrysler badges over the aftermarket overlays) as well as a new passenger-side side louver since it had an unsightly gouge in it. I've also read-up on how the headliners in these cars begin to sag over time and my car was a victim of this as well. The previous owner had used a few brass push pins here and there to re-pin it, and mostly in areas that they are decently well hidden. However, being the perfectionist I am I decided to remove them and re-glue it using headliner adhesive I picked up at Advanced Auto Parts. But this is only temporary as I am having a local upholstery shop do my headliner, a-pllars & c-illars in black microsuede sometime within the next week or so as I think the OEM light gray somewhat clashes with the dash/seats. Beyond that I have already ordered KW Variant 2 coilovers (I have a connection through a local car club so I paid well under the $2,200 they normally retail for) and will be ordering the Megan M-RS muffler and new wheels later this week. One of my best friends welds and does exhaust fab work on the side so he is going to do my exhaust for me for free in my garage, I just have to pay for the material.......and thankfully the Pep Boys down the street carries Vibrant piping/exhaust components. As for the wheels.....just wait and see, I can't spoil everything just yet!

As for pictures.......i'll upload some pictures once I pick the car up this week from the detailer and should hopefully have some more pictures to accompamy this thread in a few weeks once the wheels and coilovers have been installed. You all know what a stock black Crossfire SRT-6 looks like anyways....lol.

Oh and my roomate is actually a technician for Mercedes Benz and he knows all the in's and out's of the R170 SLK chassis/engine so that's a perk too I suppose.

Anywho, thanks for reading! Sorry for the novel......i'm rather chatty.....lol.

Last edited by HOT FIYA; 03-17-2014 at 04:16 PM.
Old 03-17-2014, 04:23 PM
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Re: New guy from Northern VA!

congrats, sounds like you've got it all figured out! the only thing I will say is that I hope you researched the KW coilovers as they aren't exactly the traditional type of coilover

Old 03-17-2014, 04:35 PM
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by rayth
congrats, sounds like you've got it all figured out! the only thing I will say is that I hope you researched the KW coilovers as they aren't exactly the traditional type of coilover
Thanks! And no worries.....i'm a giant suspension nut and did plenty of research before pulling the trigger on the KW's. Per my research, they, along with the Billstein's, were pretty much the only height adjustable full-coilover system available. I wasn't interested in a non-height adjustable kit like the H&R cup-kit or the Vmaxx's, and the Ground Controls that are getting ready to be released seem promising but at the end of the day they're just a sleeve style coilover and will still need aftermarket shocks/struts to be run low to avoid the risk of overcompressing and ultimately damaging the OEM shocks/struts. I plan on running the KW's at full-low and the shocks/struts that are included with the coilover kit are designed to handle the drop so they were an easy choice.

I had Stance GR+ and BC Type-BR Extreme Low's on my Miata during the several years that I owned it. The Crossfire won't be nearly as low as the Miata ever was but will still be as low as the KW's allow me to be nonetheless.

Here are a few pics of my old Mazdaspeed Miata.

IMG_9259750729576_zps75218eee.jpg

yata2_zps7e7df95b.jpg

IMG_23644314588743_zpseb24ce38.jpg

Old 03-17-2014, 05:16 PM
Djo
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Congrats doubt you'll regret your purchase! I too live in PW County, Woodbridge have a AB SRT roadster. If you don't mind me asking which detailer do you use? Again welcome I'm sure I'll see you out that way do a lot of driving out there.

Old 03-17-2014, 05:23 PM
Forum Regular
Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Nice Pics! I'm in NoVA and thought exactly as you about srt6. The only diff is I craved a roadster and got one 6 months ago. I've been returning it to like new condition and just finished last week with a Wavetrac LSD (ok - so better than new). This is one fast and pretty face! Nice that yours came with all the mods - I had to get 'em done as the car was bone stock. Let me know how the suspension mods work for you.

Last edited by Da55id; 03-17-2014 at 05:25 PM.
Old 03-17-2014, 05:23 PM
Received 522 Likes on 415 Posts

Originally Posted by HOT FIYA
Thanks! And no worries.....i'm a giant suspension nut and did plenty of research before pulling the trigger on the KW's. Per my research, they, along with the Billstein's, were pretty much the only height adjustable full-coilover system available. I wasn't interested in a non-height adjustable kit like the H&R cup-kit or the Vmaxx's, and the Ground Controls that are getting ready to be released seem promising but at the end of the day they're just a sleeve style coilover and will still need aftermarket shocks/struts to be run low to avoid the risk of overcompressing and ultimately damaging the OEM shocks/struts. I plan on running the KW's at full-low and the shocks/struts that are included with the coilover kit are designed to handle the drop so they were an easy choice.

I had Stance GR+ and BC Type-BR Extreme Low's on my Miata during the several years that I owned it. The Crossfire won't be nearly as low as the Miata ever was but will still be as low as the KW's allow me to be nonetheless.

Here are a few pics of my old Mazdaspeed Miata.
Mazdaspeed ride looked awesome! You're going to love the SRT-6 every bit as much. And the power!

Welcome to The Forum.

Old 03-17-2014, 06:42 PM
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by Djo
Congrats doubt you'll regret your purchase! I too live in PW County, Woodbridge have a AB SRT roadster. If you don't mind me asking which detailer do you use? Again welcome I'm sure I'll see you out that way do a lot of driving out there.
Thanks. I frequent Woodbridge pretty often and I actually used to live in Manassas up until a few months ago. Finally graduated from an apartment to a house. Finally have a garage! As for the detailer, his name is Jake and he does all the detail work for Blockstar (www.blockstarcars.com). I'm friends with the guys that run the shop. Relatively newer shop that opened in Springfield VA but the detailer has years of experience. If you have an Instagram you can follow him @jvsxp. He's been posting pictures of his progress on my paint correction.

Originally Posted by Da55id
Nice Pics! I'm in NoVA and thought exactly as you about srt6. The only diff is I craved a roadster and got one 6 months ago. I've been returning it to like new condition and just finished last week with a Wavetrac LSD (ok - so better than new). This is one fast and pretty face! Nice that yours came with all the mods - I had to get 'em done as the car was bone stock. Let me know how the suspension mods work for you.
I contemplated the roadster as I loved my Miata (and I also owned an '88 RX-7 convertible a number of years back) but ultimately I just loved the roofline of the coupe too much. And yeah, i'm usually a big stickler on buying bone stock cars.......this is only the second car I have ever bought that had light work done to it. Years ago I bought a '97 M3 that had a Dinan intake and a UUC Motorworks cat-back on it. But since the mods that had been done were top shelf items and things that I was going to eventually do anyways I didn't really mind it. The biggest drawback on this car has been the rather rough exterior. But i'm confident that it'll look pretty good once my overhaul is complete

Old 03-17-2014, 07:17 PM
Received 505 Likes on 349 Posts

I love the spliter on that beautiful Miata.

very nice.

And welcome to the permagrin of the SRT6 family.

Have you hit the OMG button yet?

Old 03-17-2014, 07:22 PM
Forum Regular

Welcome to the Perma-Grin Club. I'm just a couple miles from you in Gainesville.

PM me if you want to get together for drinks.

Old 03-17-2014, 08:36 PM
Former Vendor
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Nice pics! Congrats!

Old 03-17-2014, 08:42 PM
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by TomSRT
Welcome to the Perma-Grin Club. I'm just a couple miles from you in Gainesville.

PM me if you want to get together for drinks.
Once I get the car cleaned up a little bit i'll start taking it out. I have terrible medical anxiety which inadvertently makes me extra **** when it comes to things like cars. Someone backed into my Miata in my parking lot backed when I had it and put an unsightly scratch across the front bumper. I didn't drive it for weeks until I had the bumper re-painted.......lol. My coilovers are set to arrive on Wednesday and i'm having my exhaust work done as early as this weekend. Once I feel as though the car is cleaned up enough to be seen in public i'll take you up on those drinks. My roomate's girlfriend works at BJ's Brewhouse so I frequent that place quite regularly with him. But for now she's my grungry, rough around the edges garage queen.

Originally Posted by Franc Rauscher
I love the spliter on that beautiful Miata.

very nice.

And welcome to the permagrin of the SRT6 family.

Have you hit the OMG button yet?
Thanks. You'll have to excuse my n00bness. I've owned a wide array of cars over the years ('88 RX-7 convertible, '97 E36 M3 coupe, '07 Cobalt SS, '05 Mazdaspeed MX-5) but i'm still new to the Crossfire and the jargon that goes with it. Please enlighten me on what the "permagrin of the SRT6 family" means and what the "OMG button" is.......lol.

Old 03-17-2014, 11:19 PM
Forum Regular
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Welcome and congrats on the SRT6. The condition of your car sounds very similiar to my black n/a roadster. Like you I am planning on having the dent removal guy give my car the once over when the weather breaks. I am also going to have a detail place give it the once over also. You built yourself a bad looking Mazdaspeed MX-5 and no doubt your XF will turn out just as sweet. My brother has a Mazdaspeed MX-5 and I gave it serious consideration before I found my XF. Unlike yours his is mostly stock.

IMG_2520_zps3b430220.jpg

Last edited by xjken; 03-17-2014 at 11:25 PM.
Old 03-18-2014, 07:42 AM
PNA
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Sounds like you have quite a plan. Can't wait to see the pictures.

You might be intersted in our local / regional club --- Crossfires of Maryland. We are on the forum, on facebook and are pretty active. We host get togethers, cruises, and our own show in August at the linganore winery in Mt. Airy MD. We have a local chapter meeting this week if you are interested in meeting our members. It's open to all. Let me know and I can get you the info.

As far as our August show, you should definitely participate. I've attached our flyer with the info. It's a great show and a great location.

We also go to the Carlile Mopar show in July if you are interested. We have between 30 and 50 Crossfires attend. It's a good time. There's a thread on here with all the details.

Welcome to the Forum.

Attached Files
File Type: pdf
2014_FLIER_VS_7 (1) (1).pdf (329.9 KB, 20 views)
Old 03-18-2014, 09:13 AM

I love absolutely everything about that Mazdaspeed... as in I literally have wanted that generation Miata for a long time and would want pretty much your exact setup down to the wheel styles...

well done, sir. Can't wait to see how you do up your SRT

Old 03-18-2014, 11:15 AM

Virginia Crew, please accept this invitation to attend COM's first meeting of 2014.....

Draft Agenda for March 22 COM Meeting
· Welcome / Intro of New Members andGuests
· General Member Update
· Finance / Budget Report
· 2014 Activities (Shows, Cruises and Meetings)
o April
o May - Moparpalooza
o June
o July - Carlisle
o August – COM Show
o Fall
· COM Car Show – Planning Discussion
o Brief Overview of Event
o Budget
o Jobs / Assignments
§ Awards
§ Wranglers
§ Registration
§ Signs
§ Music
§ Goodie Bags and Dash Plaques
§ Vote Sheet
§ Other
o Set up / Schedule
§ Registration
§ Showfield
§ Vendors
§ Raffle
§ Charity
§ Other
· Other Business
· Social Time

Old 03-18-2014, 12:28 PM

Ossha on instagram?

Old 03-18-2014, 01:01 PM
Forum Regular

Thanks everyone! Rather than quote everyone and have the world's largest reply.....

FUBU- The one & only! I was actually going to say......if anyone wants to follow my car's progress you can do so by viewing my Instagram --> @osshwa. I've been posting lots of updates on the car's paint correction along with the misc. mods and OEM replacement pieces i've picked up since purchasing the car.

ichon- Unfortunately I doubt i'll be able to make it to an event on the 22nd being as my car is still at the detailer and once I get it back i'll be installing my coilovers and having my buddy fab up/weld my Megan M-RS muffler.

rayth- Thanks man! The car was an absolute blast and is one of the few cars I can honestly say that I will miss. But I had owned it for about 4 years, it had been two colors and I was on my 5th set of wheels and 2nd set of coilovers + who know's how much else I spent elsewhere on the car and I felt that it was time to move onto something new. I went with the Crossfire because just like the Mazdaspeed Miata's, they performance trim (SRT-6) was only offered for two years and it offered the performance and level of refinement that I was looking for. I'm not exactly old (27) but i'm at the age where I felt as though the Miata was becoming somewhat juvenile. I wanted to ditch the "boy racer" image and step up to something a bit classier.

PNA- Thanks and i'll check and see if I have anything going on that day because i'd love to come check it out. I go to ALOT of car shows/events throughout the year. The Miata went up and down the entire east coast during my time with it. So far this year I have alot of events planned such as: Springfest 5, Hyperfest, Los Goonies Panda Junction, Supreme Sunday Meet, H20i, First Class Fitment, etc etc. There's a ton of other little meets that fall along the wayside as well but those are some of the bigger ones. Being a younger guy I still enjoy going to the more "tuner" influenced meets. Not to say I wouldn't enjoy meeting up with some fellow Crossfire owners though! Back when I had my Cobalt SS I used to arrange big Cobalt meets regularly.

xjken- Thanks, that's pretty neat to see a Crossfire vert next to a MSM. I feel like the Crossfire's interior is a bit roomier than my MSM was and I have SO MUCH more trunk space.....lol.

Old 03-18-2014, 01:58 PM

Shame you are not on the SRT-6.com - Chrysler Crossfire SRT-6 FB page as there are about 700 active srt-6 enthusiasts that wants to see your stuff. Not many uses instagram, where @streetracingtechnology have about 400 xf followers. If you want me to share any of your cool stuff, feel free to mail me info@srt-6.com , also looking forward getting it in the VIN# gallery (and VIN# list here, ask DTMenace). Trying to get all the SRT-6 stuff in one big place. Until now it has been scattered all over the place and different media. I personally enjoy the gallery section where you find racing stuff to aftermarket grilles and the VIN# gallery.
Hope to see you there and your future cool updates with the suspension. congrats on the car bud.

Old 03-18-2014, 03:18 PM
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by FUBU
Shame you are not on the SRT-6.com - Chrysler Crossfire SRT-6 FB page as there are about 700 active srt-6 enthusiasts that wants to see your stuff. Not many uses instagram, where @streetracingtechnology have about 400 xf followers. If you want me to share any of your cool stuff, feel free to mail me info@srt-6.com , also looking forward getting it in the VIN# gallery (and VIN# list here, ask DTMenace). Trying to get all the SRT-6 stuff in one big place. Until now it has been scattered all over the place and different media. I personally enjoy the gallery section where you find racing stuff to aftermarket grilles and the VIN# gallery.
Hope to see you there and your future cool updates with the suspension. congrats on the car bud.
I know man, i've been slacking.......lol. I mean hech, I literally just got around to making an account on here. I'll get on it asap. I don't really have anything to share just yet though as i'm still stockpiling parts. Otherwise I would have just been sharing a fairly weathered, stock appearing black SRT-6. But everything starts coming together this week so hopefully i'll have pics to share of it freshly lowered (errrr.....slammed) + new wheels + tint + exhaust + microsuede headliner + freshly detailed w/ paint correction as early as late next week.

And ultimately I just use Instagram alot more than facebook nowadays.......lol. I view your IG page regularly. But i'll get on making an account later tonight.......I promise!

Old 03-18-2014, 07:17 PM
Djo

Does Jake the detailer work out of the block star shop in Springfield? Need his services in a bad way!

Quick Reply: New guy from Northern VA!