New Member Introductions Welcome new members !! This is the place to post a new thread and introduce yourself and tell us a little about yourself and what model Crossfire you just bought or are looking to buy. Threads created for anything other than introductions are subject to be moved to the appropriate section in the forum for the topic being posted.

Greetings from Tampa, Florida

Old 07-29-2014, 02:24 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Cool Greetings from Tampa, Florida

Hello, My Name is Robert or InfernoRaven I am the new owner of a 2006 Chrysler Crossfire Limited Coupe

I originally had a 1998 Ford Mustang GT that I got from my dad as my first car, it was beat up and run down until I fixed it up and finally got it repainted.

This was my car up until now, now a week before my 21'st birthday I drive a new car.

You see my dad gave me this car as mine to own as a graduation present, I maintained it and worked on it to keep it running right because I wanted to drive this car to Antique Status when I could put a Blue Florida Antique Plate on the car. My dad worked in Iraq as a DoD contractor for a while when he returned home be bought 3 new cars one of which was the 06' Limited Crossfire Coupe when my dad needed a more practical car for his new job (Contractor) he needed a truck unfortunately the Crossfire he tried selling a few times never got bought.

Out of Desperation he asked me for my car in exchange he would give me the Crossfire, he new he could sell my mustang easily and fast. Now that my mustang is sold I own the Crossfire. At first I was a bit bitter driving this car, after all the Mustang was my pride and joy I loved the sound, heck I didn't even mind the fish tailing in a bit of rain. But after driving the Crossfire for a while it has grown on me. I love this car, I love the history it represents and I love the fact how much it is underestimated by my friends.

If your still reading this cudos most people don't read long posts. Here are a few pictures of my car, it has some body damage that came from the previous owner; not my dad but who he bought it from ; that long time owners and more experienced Crossfire owners will help me fix, diagnose and correct

As you maybe can't see I am missing the Grate for the lower portion of the car and the Glass for the Fog Light on the Passenger Side of the Car is Cracked

Loads of Scratches and Bent lower bumper likely from scraping parking blocks from pulling forward and backing out.

Scrape along with broken reflector and light bulb

Scrape looks like something bumped or was backed into the car

Mileage on Car

Bulb Light on Likely from Broken Reflector Light on Passenger Side

Cosmetic Damage Interior

Missing and or Broken Silver Trim

Broken Cigarette Lighter (No Power or Heat) Therefore the button doesn't pop out and Jammed Radio Buttons

Other Issues, There is a squeak when stopping the brakes and whenever I use Alabaster Paint on those scratched (after using Automotive Grade Acetone to remove the cover up paint) it turns greyish silver when dried (See Pictures) there is also the notchyness of the shifter shifting from first to second.

Despite all this I am in love with this car, I just hope to overhaul it like my mustang into something that I just smile every-time I see or drive.

Old 07-29-2014, 03:09 PM
PNA
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Default Re: Greetings from Tampa, Florida

Hey, congrats on the car and for preparing to embrace all the fixes you have before you. All the cosmetics can be fixed over time. You may even be able to find some forum members who has some parts they are willing to donate or to provide at a good rate. Take this car and turn it into a beauty like you did your mustang.

These cars are fun, still eye catching, suprisingly quick and agile, and for many of us, have become a cult following. Once you do the fixes, you can thing about moving on to the modificaitons. Check out my recent upgrades, both the ones you can see in the picture and the ones you can't, which are Eurocharge tuning in my user gallary.

Good luck. Tons of info on here to save money, help you do the work, and get help when you need it.

Enjoy.

Last edited by PNA; 07-29-2014 at 03:17 PM.
Old 07-29-2014, 03:37 PM

Thanks, I got a few more experienced friends willing to help me, but for the most part they are hands off because I want to put in the work myself. I am working on seeing about a repaint, I can strip the body repair the damage and rust (which I saw is a problem for these cars) and paint the car. Problem is I want to do everything myself, but I have a very small garage that my grandfather used to do this kind of work in but since then my grandmother has fenced in the backyard and loaded the garage for stuff, I would say I could paint this in the driveway but the neighbor has a Great Oak in her front yard who's branches extend over my driveway.

This is also Florida so the average temp here is about 90 with around 80% humidity, high pollen counts in summer with intermittent wind and can rain at a moment's notice.

So I feel like I need to take it to a shop to get the paint work done unless anyone else has other solutions?

Old 07-29-2014, 03:45 PM
PNA

Originally Posted by InfernoRaven
Thanks, I got a few more experienced friends willing to help me, but for the most part they are hands off because I want to put in the work myself. I am working on seeing about a repaint, I can strip the body repair the damage and rust (which I saw is a problem for these cars) and paint the car. Problem is I want to do everything myself, but I have a very small garage that my grandfather used to do this kind of work in but since then my grandmother has fenced in the backyard and loaded the garage for stuff, I would say I could paint this in the driveway but the neighbor has a Great Oak in her front yard who's branches extend over my driveway.

This is also Florida so the average temp here is about 90 with around 80% humidity, high pollen counts in summer with intermittent wind and can rain at a moment's notice.

So I feel like I need to take it to a shop to get the paint work done unless anyone else has other solutions?
If you are going to paint it, have it done properly. It won't look good with all the obstacles you say you have in your situation. Others might suggest getting if plasti-dipped / coated. I'm not a fan of it, but some people like it. If you don't it can be removed and then you could have it painted later. Not sure of the cost but some say it's reasonable and / or you could possibly do it yourself. I don't know enough to say. I'm sure others may chime in. Good luck.

Old 07-29-2014, 04:27 PM

Yeah I saw a guy who plasti-dipped his car, it looks nice don't get me wrong, but it isn't what is needed here I have body damage IE rust and paint damage throwing plasti-dip over it doesn't correct the problems they will still be there tomorrow all I did was hide it till it becomes a greater problem later.

I could dip it in the future if I get bored with the repaint but at the moment I am looking into repaint, at this moment I am looking for a good shop that can do it for a reasonable price. I got my Mustang done for 800 it had to be repainted twice because of bubbles at no charge I would consider going back to them again since the reason it bubbled was one of the employees thought the car was dry and opened the car door introducing dust into the door. But after the 2nd Repaint it was gorgeous.

The only other option I have would be gut the car and store the parts. My dad has also given me unrestricted license to take parts off of the other 2 crossfires he owns (He bought one that had an electrical fire, and another one is in perfect condition but no one can figure out why it won't start they are a 2008 Limited Coupe Black and a 2006 Base Model Couple Black) If I use the 2008 Limited Coupe Black I could have a Black Crossfire with the paint in perfect condition as it was only driven for 8000 miles before it just wouldn't start. However a complete rebuild taking out all the parts out of my car just to put them into a different chassis is completely stupid. So I figure I will get an estimate to paint the car.

My plans is to preform a full restoration, then begin working on Modifications I currently have a GForce Performance Chip for my car I need to install and I hope to add more modifications to it later.

Since the run on this car wasn't long and this car is lesser known (IMO) how is the Aftermarket on this car and are there any particular sites I should look at? I bought the majority of my parts from American Muscle when it came to my Mustang or finding them on Mustangs from LKQ and yanking them or even some on Ebay

I feel like I should look at Cosmetic since most of the damage to my car lays there then look at actual nuts and bolts after I finish the repairs.

Old 07-29-2014, 05:21 PM
xme

Abuse aside, there's not a lot that goes wrong with these cars in a catastrophic sense. If you can get some more history on that black Crossfire there is a lot of good info around, and it could end up that it's cheaper to get it going again than it is to get the white one looking pristine again. Body part costs add up pretty quickly on these cars, and the Mercedes parts under the skin are generally easier to come by. Searching around for no-starts you'll find a few common culprits (CPS, RCM, et cetera) but definitely need to know more than "doesn't start."

As far as the aftermarket parts situation - it's honestly pretty slim. If you're looking for engine performance, the goto mods for the naturally aspirated Crossfire are a NeedsWings single cold air intake, 74mm throttle body (do a search) and a tune from Eurocharged. Cosmetic mods you're largely on your own there, aside from front lips, wheels, and some different grilles... there's not a whole lot. I think you'll find most of the guys here are pretty happy with the stock looks, and just do small things like new decals, debadging, painting, maybe some vinyl or carbon fiber overlays. Nothing like the plethora of cosmetic mods available for a mustang.

If you're indecisive or can't seem to keep a color for more than a few months dips can be a good choice, but like you said, repair any damage first. PlastiDip isn't my style either, but there's definitely some great looking examples: DOTM Winners Album

http://www.needswings.com/
http://www.eurocharged.com/
http://crossfiremall.com/

Last edited by xme; 07-29-2014 at 05:28 PM.
Old 07-29-2014, 11:26 PM
Forum Regular
Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

Welcome from Sunny Sarasota! There are several wrecked ones in your area and one guy lists on Ebay under Nikoz Also we have had several Get Togethers with the Florida Crossfire Group. We just had one Sunday and had I believe close if not more than 20 cars. We also help each other out as much as possible.

Old 07-30-2014, 09:52 AM
Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Welcome aboard, you got the best color, and the easiest to "touch up" those little bumps and bruises.
You'll have that puppy looking like new in no time.
Lots of Crossfires in your state, so don't hesitate to join in some of their GTG's.
Especially the Dragon.

Old 07-30-2014, 10:21 AM

Welcome to the Forum...You will really enjoy all the folks here...they are loaded with generous ideas and the willingness to help. I've been a member/forum regular for approx. 2 years; even though I've had my Red Blaze Coupe for 10 years, I really did not "get into" the car until I discovered this Club/Forum...since then my appreciation for it"s driving fun and "tinkering with" have multiplied 100 fold...I really love it a lot and look forward to the GTGs.. don't miss the upcoming meet in Fontana Dam, NC Oct 3,4, and 5...It is literally a blast...you get to "push" your car(of course, within prudent reason) if you so desire...trying to keep up with 13dog is a JOB...Hope to see you there...Carl

Old 07-30-2014, 10:33 AM
Received 27 Likes on 24 Posts

Originally Posted by InfernoRaven
My dad has also given me unrestricted license to take parts off of the other 2 crossfires he owns (He bought one that had an electrical fire, and another one is in perfect condition but no one can figure out why it won't start they are a 2008 Limited Coupe Bla*ck and a 2006 Base Model Couple Black) If I use the 2008 Limited Coupe Black I could have a Black Crossfire with the paint in perfect condition as it was only driven for 8000 miles before it just wouldn't start. However a complete rebuild taking out all the parts out of my car just to put them into a different chassis is completely stupid. So I figure I will get an estimate to paint the car.
Hello Robert, My advice would be to slowly work on the cosmetic needs of your white Crossfire but put your priority on getting that 2008 Limited Coupe running. Get us details of what exactly is going on with that one . . . cranks but won't start? dash lights come on but won't crank? etc. There are lots of knowledgeable people here (and some who live pretty close to you) to help you get that one running. These cars can be quirky . . . probably something (or a few things) that turn out to be relatively simple and cheap to fix. Also
because you have a car that is running it will be relatively easy to swap out parts and check things out

Welcome to the forum . . . You came to the right place for help. Good luck!

PS . . . I'm curious about your "rust" comments. I'm not aware of known rust issues on the Crossfire. What and where?

Last edited by RED DOG; 07-31-2014 at 11:09 AM.
Old 07-30-2014, 12:09 PM
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

A lot less common at the car shows than your old Mustang, for sure

Old 08-05-2014, 11:56 AM
Received 79 Likes on 68 Posts

Welcome to the forum and hey from St. Pete Beach!!

You might want to join the Florida Crossfire community on Facebook. Lots of very helpful people on there and most of them not far from you at all. I got my car about 4 years ago and this has been an awesome place for advise and help! It really is a unique car with great technology and obviously very fun to drive.
You car reminds me of my ride when I bought it first. Person before you obviously didn't take care of that beauty like people here on the forum do
Looks like a fun project and you can get all these things easily fixed over time.

Btw, the no start issues seems to be a fairly common one and has been discussed on the forum quite a bit. Most fixes are relatively easy and also inexpensive depending on what it is. Do a forum search - that 8000 mile car might be sitting their while at the same time you could get her started again with little effort!
Oh and btw...since our cars have Mercedes engines whatever you do stay away from Chrysler delaerships for repairs and if anything comes up find a good mechanic who is familiar with European vehicles, Mercedes in particular!

Perhaps the best and most easy to install mod for the car is the Spring Booster, a cable that plugs into the computer behind the gas pedal which eliminates the throttle lag of the vehicle. Believe me, it's a difference like day and night! One of the best things I've done to the vehicle and super easy to install!

Good luck and hope to see you around on here! And if you ever see my car pass you by in Tampa (Graphite Xfire with Buccaneers license plate) make sure to stop and say what's up!

Old 08-05-2014, 04:07 PM
Former Vendor
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Welcome to the forum! Some nice fixes!

Old 08-08-2014, 10:29 PM
Administrator / Senior Member
Received 449 Likes on 316 Posts

Welcome to the forum

Old 08-09-2014, 05:23 PM

Thanks for all the Welcomes. I am going to be taking a look at the Black Crossfire this weekend, the other crossfire is in pieces right now as I pulled out the engine and tranny. As for no-start issues I know about at least one as a few months ago I replaced the RCM on my White Crossfire because it would just die at Red Lights and refused to start after that for anywhere to 15 to 30 minutes. But I will check out the Black Crossfire.