Troubleshooting & Technical Questions & Modifications Have technical or modification questions about the Crossfire? Find out the answer, or give advice in here!

2004 crossfire stall issue

Old 08-26-2015, 10:19 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 2004 crossfire stall issue

I am running out of ideas on my sons 2004 crossfire stall issue and hope I can get some advice here. Car has 73000 miles and overall has run well over the 8 years he has owned it. A few years ago he had stall issue. He had the RCM module three solder points resoldered, and a new pulse module installed. Now after 4 years, the stall issue has returned. Intermittent stall, and wait to restart. I had the RCM resoldered again, and replaced the cps. I did use an import direct part from oreillys as couldn't find correct bosch part locally or on line for the 2004. Does the 2005 onward Bosch part fit this year? After install of cps, the car still stalls intermittently, but starts back up immediately. It stalled yesterday and he was able to restart as he coasted. This is obviously a big safety concern even though he rarely drives on highway. Some of the forum ideas I haven't tried are;

Replace key fob batteries
Install camshaft sensor
Shake crankshaft wire while running to see if engine stalls
Get codes read to see if any hidden codes. (nothing has shown up on dash since this started). Going to autozone today for this.

My son loves his car, but this is very frustrating. Any suggestions would be much appreciated.

Dean

Old 08-26-2015, 10:35 AM
Received 153 Likes on 141 Posts
Default Re: 2004 crossfire stall issue

You might want to replace the fuel filter just for grins ........

Old 08-26-2015, 11:05 AM
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

With the engine running give the cps connector plug a slight wiggle and see if it causes the engine to stall. The reason I said to try that is it sounds like the same problem I had with cps I got from Autozone. The prongs on generic cps are thinner than the bosch cps and was causing it to stall. It solved the problem after I replaced it with the bosch sensor. This is Bosch cps you need 0261210170

Last edited by robby363; 08-26-2015 at 11:12 AM.
Old 08-26-2015, 11:29 AM
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by robby363
With the engine running give the cps connector plug a slight wiggle and see if it causes the engine to stall. The reason I said to try that is it sounds like the same problem I had with cps I got from Autozone. The prongs on generic cps are thinner than the bosch cps and was causing it to stall. It solved the problem after I replaced it with the bosch sensor. This is Bosch cps you need 0261210170
Someone else recently mentioned a similar issue, new Bosch CPS, and still issues. They removed the connector, and cleaned the contacts and all was well.

Old 08-26-2015, 02:40 PM
Administrator
Received 883 Likes on 688 Posts

Try pioneer's solution. If that does not do it, get a Bosch CPS.

The CPS is the same for every Crossfire and SLK320 and SLK32 on the road. (As well as about 3 million other Mercedes engines...)

I got mine here:
https://www.germanautosupply.com/sto...sensor-95.html

Old 08-26-2015, 07:30 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Thanks for the reply guys. I tried moving the newly installed cps and when I nudged it to the right (facing drivers side of car) the engine stalled every time. Did not shut down with slight pressure to the left. I made a clip that clipped to the heat shield, and prevented the cps plug from moving to the right. My son drove it on some bumpy roads with no shutdown issues. I have ordered a bosch replacement (finally figured out that one on amazon 0261210171 will work for the 2004, even though it says it won't), and will install on Friday. Hopefully, the bosch will be a better fit, and this will resolve the issue. Thanks again for the quick responses.
Dean

Old 08-26-2015, 07:42 PM
Administrator

I have no clue why, but NO parts catalogs or databases show that Bosch fits the Crossfire.

This is asinine, as it is the same engine as in the SLK320/32 and they all use that part.
This stupid crap is ONE reason why parts for our cars cost so much.

Old 08-26-2015, 08:41 PM
Received 540 Likes on 456 Posts

Originally Posted by dbooso
I am running out of ideas on my sons 2004 crossfire stall issue and hope I can get some advice here. Car has 73000 miles and overall has run well over the 8 years he has owned it. A few years ago he had stall issue. He had the RCM module three solder points resoldered, and a new pulse module installed. Now after 4 years, the stall issue has returned. Intermittent stall, and wait to restart. I had the RCM resoldered again, and replaced the cps. I did use an import direct part from oreillys as couldn't find correct bosch part locally or on line for the 2004. Does the 2005 onward Bosch part fit this year? After install of cps, the car still stalls intermittently, but starts back up immediately. It stalled yesterday and he was able to restart as he coasted. This is obviously a big safety concern even though he rarely drives on highway. Some of the forum ideas I haven't tried are;

Replace key fob batteries
Install camshaft sensor
Shake crankshaft wire while running to see if engine stalls
Get codes read to see if any hidden codes. (nothing has shown up on dash since this started). Going to autozone today for this.

My son loves his car, but this is very frustrating. Any suggestions would be much appreciated.

Dean
Do not waste any more money on it until you get the codes read.
What is the point of having this feature if you fail to use it and keep throwing money at the car?
Too many people ask questions when the answer is there for them already.

Old 08-27-2015, 08:56 AM
Administrator

Originally Posted by onehundred80
Do not waste any more money on it until you get the codes read.
What is the point of having this feature if you fail to use it and keep throwing money at the car?
Too many people ask questions when the answer is there for them already.
Come over to Facebook, Dave. EVERY TIME someone says the light is on, someone ELSE posts:

"Probably just the gas cap" or "Try seafoam" -- I try to tell people, the light is your car SCREAMING at you: I have a message for you, read my code(s)"

The CEL is the best diagnostic you have, why ignore it and guess?

Old 08-27-2015, 11:03 AM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

did you try this?

https://www.crossfireforum.org/forum...-no-start.html