New Member Introductions Welcome new members !! This is the place to post a new thread and introduce yourself and tell us a little about yourself and what model Crossfire you just bought or are looking to buy. Threads created for anything other than introductions are subject to be moved to the appropriate section in the forum for the topic being posted.

Old 09-17-2015, 06:51 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default new member

Hi everyone. My name is Mike and I own a 2006 champagne colored limited coupe. My wife has used it to race in autocross with the chicago chapter of the BMW club. Had some good runs. Now I get to play with it. I am having trouble locating a part, I hope someone out there can help. I need to replace the passenger side fog lamp lens and cannot find one. Any help would be appreciated. I am looking to keep this car in as original condition as possible and don't want to use non-original parts. Thanks

Old 09-17-2015, 07:15 PM
Received 153 Likes on 141 Posts
Default Re: new member

Welcome to the forum, Mike !
I am afraid you will discover that one of the rarest item on earth is a Crossfire fog light !
The reason for this is twofold : most minor repairable accidents over the last 10 years involved front end damage, this caused the supply of available units to be almost non-existent, because the cars in salvage yards had no usable fog lights.
The other reason is the base model Crossfire. It came with NO fog lights, and what measly supply of salvage there was went to these owners that wanted to install fog lights.
Having said all that, I checked car-part.com just now and I see LOADS of both LH and RH lights, but they sure are proud of them. $60 is the cheapest I saw.
Go to that web site and start calling.
I doubt you will find any 'pristine' ones, all will have some road grit damage to the glass lens.

BTW: you cannot find a glass lens by itself, many have tried, all have failed.

Last edited by ala_xfire; 09-17-2015 at 07:20 PM.
Old 09-18-2015, 02:43 PM

Thanks for the quick answer. I will start working the phone Monday. Glad I found you guys. Its nice to find people with the same ( or possibly insane?)love of this car and solutions to problems. My local Chrysler dealer was no help at all. See Ya later !

Old 09-18-2015, 03:20 PM
Forum Regular
Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Mike OD
Thanks for the quick answer. I will start working the phone Monday. Glad I found you guys. Its nice to find people with the same ( or possibly insane?)love of this car and solutions to problems. My local Chrysler dealer was no help at all. See Ya later !
As many will say, I am sure, STAY AWAY FROM the STEALERSHIPS.
Come here with your questions and problems. GREAT bunch of
knowledgable people.
Bill T.

Old 09-18-2015, 03:37 PM
Received 153 Likes on 141 Posts

When you do speak with them, make sure all 3 mounting arms are still there.
( It's common to find one broken )

Old 09-18-2015, 04:18 PM
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I found it quite difficult to work through the access flap in the wheel well. Maybe OK for changing a bulb, but the 3 screws holding the whole thing in were hard to get to. I jacked up the car, removed the wheel/tire, and removed the forward portion of the black plastic fender liner. A little more trouble but it made removing and replacing the fog light much easier. If you're younger than I am (a great many are) and more flexible you may be better able to work through the flap hole.

While you have the fog light out of the car (you can only do this with it out)...there's a thread on here somewhere that shows how to partially disassemble the fog light to clean the inside of the lens. You just have to rig up a tool with a 90 degree on the end to hold the paper towel or rag. Mine were kind of milky white on the inside and this did a good job of cleaning them using just window cleaner and paper towels on the bent metal stick.

By the way, be aware that there are two styles of fog light out there. The originals have a chrome/silver cap over the bulb. Later styles have the bulb exposed with no cap over it. Some folks have experienced a problem with the cap coming off and rattling around in the housing. I have not. Just a heads-up in case your "insanity" would not allow you to accept mis-matched fog lights.

Good luck with your project.

Old 09-19-2015, 06:21 PM
Received 531 Likes on 421 Posts

Welcome to the Forum. Here's a link to OE Discount PArts. They stock most of the parts for the Crossfire. Just a little pricey at times, since these cars were not popular and sold poorly.

OE Discount Parts - Fog Lamp Assemblies

Later,

Old 09-19-2016, 02:13 PM
Cool Re: new member

Hello Mike and any other newbies, welcome to the group!
I am new to the site also, just a couple of weeks. I haven't had the time lately
to spend as much time here as I'd like. I have to admit that I'm awed,yep, at the
information here. The senior members have spent some time with XFires. I had a problem with my 05 and went thru three different Chrysler dealers before they found the problem. It was a bad control module that kept it from starting after being parked for a few days. It seems it was running the battery down even after I installed a new one.
I readily admit to being a complete novice when it comes to the complicated problems that can come with the XFire. It's now one telling me there is high voltage on the #3 injector. Waaa!
I haven't done much mechanical work on cars since the 1960's thru the 1990's.
I'm reading everything I can find on the site to catch up a bit and just need to understand what I'm reading. My Thanks to the founders of the site.

Old 09-23-2016, 07:00 AM
Administrator
-C-I-C-C-I Associate Member
Received 15 Likes on 14 Posts

~ welcome to the forum!