New Member Introductions Welcome new members !! This is the place to post a new thread and introduce yourself and tell us a little about yourself and what model Crossfire you just bought or are looking to buy. Threads created for anything other than introductions are subject to be moved to the appropriate section in the forum for the topic being posted.

2006 Crossfire in Southern Indiana

Old 12-09-2016, 09:24 PM
Administrator / Senior Member
Received 449 Likes on 316 Posts
Default Re: 2006 Crossfire in Southern Indiana

Originally Posted by Ray2004
I do have a white Mopar battery and the spoiler did go up when I started it.
Once I decide if I have to buy an AGM battery, I'll be picking one up.
Absolutely the first thing to do !!!
You still have the original battery !!!!

Old 12-09-2016, 09:33 PM
Forum Regular
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Smile Re: 2006 Crossfire in Southern Indiana

Welcome! Our current battery came from local Napa, (Legend Premium), 2 years ago. Possibly made by Interstate. Correct fit, same ratings. It is vented, small hole; each end, top center. One hole is capped and I have a short clear vent hose routed into a small secure container @ other end. Napa also offers an AGM model.
Several routine maintenance items may be due by mileage and/or time specifications. Have fun with it!

Old 12-09-2016, 09:56 PM
Received 535 Likes on 452 Posts

Originally Posted by VALK
Absolutely the first thing to do !!!
You still have the original battery !!!!
Not neccessarily, the original batteries were VARTA batteries, some were replaced by MOPAR batteries as they ware failing on the lots. White batteries were available and maybe still are in some places. Ideally you should decode the date moulded into the case to get the real age.
NeedsWings sells or did sell the copper washers, but as has been said it is easier to drain the oil from the top with a pump of some kind.

Old 12-10-2016, 07:20 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Neg terminal was really corroded and I had to use a hammer and flat blade screwdriver to separate the clamp. New battery is installed and as soon as filter and washers arrive, the oil will be changed. Thanks again for all the replies.

Old 12-10-2016, 07:58 PM
Administrator / Senior Member
Received 449 Likes on 316 Posts

Neg terminal was really corroded and I had to use a hammer and flat blade screwdriver to separate the clamp.
New battery is installed and as soon as filter and washers arrive, the oil will be changed.
Thanks again for all the replies.

Off to a good start it seems

Old 12-11-2016, 12:19 PM

Originally Posted by dedwards0323
Welcome to our Forum. You'll love this car more & more every time you drive it. And the looks from passersby will be priceless.

There are many of us that never use the cup holder for a variety of reasons. And many of us have replaced it with the "storage bin" that was used on certain XFire models. Much more practical than the cup holder.

Enjoy!
I get a good laugh at your sig, "When I was a boy I was told that anybody could become President; I'm beginning to believe it." - Clarence Darrow
Never have truer words been spoken.

Old 12-13-2016, 06:24 AM
Received 522 Likes on 415 Posts

Thanks for the info. Is the Interstate battery an AGM?
I personally don't think the AGM-design batteries ("absorbed glass mat") are worth the money. In fact, Consumer Reports has indicated that some of these don't perform as well as the conventional batteries of the same size. Here in SC the environment isn't harsh enough for me to justify purchasing an AGM battery. And I don't subject my Crossfire to any significant harsh movement (like an ATV, for example) that would warrant an AGM battery.

Here's some comments I found regarding AGM batteries (www.reference.com):

An AGM battery, commonly used in ATVs and motorcycles, is a type of sealed battery with a fiberglass mat sandwiched between the battery's plates to hold the electrolyte. AGM stands for "absorbed glass mat" in reference to the fiberglass sheet.

AGM batteries stand up to lots of movement and a rough environment, which makes them ideal for off-road vehicles. These batteries are also a first choice in weather and ice-monitoring stations in harsh environments. Because the fiberglass mat keeps the battery from leaking if it is damaged, AGM batteries are common in electric scooters and wheelchairs that are frequently used indoors. Additional advantages of AGM batteries include their ability to operate in any position and function properly without ventilation.

For me, that last point could be a reason to use an AGM battery in the Crossfire.

Later,

Old 12-13-2016, 06:31 AM

Here's a link to Pelican Parts for routine parts (and any drivetrain / suspension parts) applicable to the Crossfire. Using the 2004 M-B SLK320 (XFire NA) or SLK32 AMG (XFire SRT-6) will show results for nearly everything that one would need. The "fleece" filters and oil pan plug copper seal are listed from a variety of sources. Prices are reasonable.

Pelican Parts for M-B

Last edited by dedwards0323; 12-13-2016 at 06:38 AM.
Old 12-13-2016, 07:37 AM

Originally Posted by onehundred80
NeedsWings sells or did sell the copper washers, but as has been said it is easier to drain the oil from the top with a pump of some kind.
I use a "crushable" drain plug gasket found in the local auto parts house in the OIL-TITE section. Item No is 65310. Size listed is 1/2" (or M14). Last time I bought these it cost me $3.99 for a package of 3 gaskets - that's $1.33 each. I tighten the drain plug to the recommended torque (30 N-m or 22 ft-lbs) and have never had any leaks or issues from this gasket.

I like the application of & exposure to gravity when I drain the oil! Besides, gets me under the front suspension every couple of years so I can look around for any other pending issues.

Later,

Last edited by dedwards0323; 12-13-2016 at 07:46 AM.
Old 12-13-2016, 05:15 PM

I bought the fleece filter, the 0w40 Mobil 1 European Car Formula and am still waiting for the five crush copper washers I ordered. I didn't see any reason to buy an AGM Battery so I didn't. In the Spring, I need to check into getting the clear coat repaired on the windshield trim and rear bumper. I'm retired so I'm in no hurry. The car will spend the winter in a heated garage so it won't see nasty weather.

Old 12-13-2016, 05:27 PM

Originally Posted by VALK
This is the best choice for an oil filter for your Crossfire
It is not paper and is made of a higher quality material known as "fleece"
Then just be sure that Full Synthetic oil is used and you need to use 0W-40
Preferably Mobil 1
The filter should be available at most any auto parts store or online and the oil is cheapest and available in 5 quart containers like these at most Walmart stores.
Our owners manual will say to fill your engine with 8.5 quarts but I find that to be a bit to much.
I suggest you only fill with 8 quarts and drive a few miles and then check it again in the morning.
I'm sure you will find 8 quarts to put your oil level to full on the dipstick

The so called fleece is actually fibre glass, so no sheep are harmed during the manufacture of these filters. PETA will be glad to here this.

Old 12-13-2016, 08:45 PM
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I sheared that sheep for nothing.

Old 12-14-2016, 06:58 AM
Received 153 Likes on 141 Posts

Originally Posted by Steve Jr
I sheared that sheep for nothing.
Take up knitting. Make yourself a Crossfire sweater.

Old 12-18-2016, 09:12 PM

Ray
It looks like we have a few things in common. We both think these Crossfires are great cars as well as an incredible value. I am Retired and just turned 62 and I just bought an SRT6 Coupe. It will probably be my last Sports Car. Not to far from Indiana either.

Attached Images
File Type: jpg
Crossfire SRT6 2006.JPG (2.84 MB, 2 views)
Old 12-19-2016, 12:19 AM

I wish I had a convertible but they are few and far between. I did get my oil changed on Saturday. There wasn't a washer on the plug and I had to use a generic copper gasket I bought at O'Reillys. Since I got the XF from a Nissan dealer, I didn't trust what type of oil and filter they used.