Crossfires Across America - A BIG THANK YOU!

Search this Thread

Old 06-11-2010, 11:37 PM
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Default Crossfires Across America - A BIG THANK YOU!

Having getting this all started just over a year ago, I want to REALLY thank the Gateway Crossfire Group the "unofficial" hosts for this years CAA.

This being the first National event (the first of what I truly hope are many more!) there has been a lot of learning along the way. To many, I want to personally apologize for not being more involved along the way. The GCG has really taken it upon themselves (both time and financially) to help create hopefully the biggest Crossfire event to date.

Unfortunately a lot of their hard work may go unrewarded as many of us have not yet confirmed activities or hotel accomodations. I have to include myself in that last part. The GCG had to make promises to various vendors about the number of people coming. Initially with well over 100 forum members announcing their intention to attend, it appears that only a fraction have actually confirmed.

Many of us will be traveling up to 4000 miles or more driving to and returning from this event. That is pretty amazing on the face of it, with no media coverage or outside help the GCG have done a comendable job.

The ONLY way to repay them is to support their efforts. For those coming long distances all I can say is "good job" for those not planning to be there for all 3-4 days but live a day or less from St Louis, please consider a day trip to get a chance to meet face to face some of those forum names you read about every day. Come look at all the individualized and unique very special cars that bond you all to this forum. Experience the Crossfire parade around the minor league ballpark. Come see who really can post the best quarter mile times or just drive your car the way it was designed to perform in the safe confines of a real race course and not on public streets. Come out and show off your special Crossfire and vote for your favorites at the Crossfire only car show.

In other words, make this a bit of history in showing your love of these misunderstood little orphans.

Again, great job everyone in the GCG, hope to see you all in St Louis next week.

Just a little added note. Unfortunately the Discovery Channel is STILL trying to make up their mind about this event. However I will be filming the trip and all the trials and tribulations along the way. I encourage all attending to try to do the same. I do plan to put this all together when we are done and no matter whether one of the TV channels picks it up or not, there will be a video about all of this made. I want to enlist all your help with this.

Thanks again,

Karl

Last edited by SRT SIX; 06-11-2010 at 11:41 PM.
Old 06-12-2010, 12:09 AM
Received 506 Likes on 350 Posts
Default Re: Crossfires Across America - A BIG THANK YOU!

Thanks for the kudos Karl.

While the attendence of the event seems to fall short of our hopes, the size and excitement of the venues will not diminish. The Gateway Crossfire Group is comminted to providing an exceptional experience to all our guests this June 21-23.

There are many varied events and if you can make just one, you will be more than pleased for making the journey.

If you can only make just one, I would suggest you not choose the final dinner. Aside from the raffle drawing, good food, drink and friends, you will be forced to regret that you missed the three days of fun.

I would suggest you not choose the Race track event as you could have so much fun with friends that may want to stay another day and not have the option. A tensive situation of undue stress you should try to avoid.

The Ballpark parade and fun is no big deal except that we will have a real American ballgame where you can truly interact with the players on a human to human basis, with guys who play the game, not because they make big money, but because they love it.

And then there are the wine tours through some of the most beautiful real estate in Missouri. Laughter and friends, enjoying the wine tastings and the comraderie. You really could do without that fun.

No, it would be hard to choose what ONE thing you could do and not wish for more but at least you will have done SOMETHING this summer that was really cool and memorable. And after that long trip home,you will be able to participate in the after event discusions and proudly say,

Hell yeah! We were there!

Where were you?

roadster with a stick

BTW, There is a decent Motel six in Wentzville, 10 minutes from Harrahs, for $40 bucks a nite, a restaurante and a pool. BUT NO SHAMPOO!
It was formerly a Holiday Inn and is still rather nice.

Last edited by Franc Rauscher; 06-13-2010 at 11:22 PM.
Old 06-12-2010, 01:53 AM
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Yet another reason to be in St Louis. Are Soltice and Sky owners more loyal than Crossfire owners?

Thanks to Bill F for finding this...

Solstice and Sky owners converge on Northeast Ohio

By Denise Sautters
CantonRep.com staff writer
Posted Jun 11, 2010 @ 11:55 PM
Last update Jun 12, 2010 @ 12:24 AM

You wouldn’t necessarily think of our curvy roads as a big tourist draw.

But that’s one of the reasons 200 members of the North American Solstice/Sky Owners Association have descended on Stark County for the group’s fifth annual national gathering.

“The decision to come here was based on our proximity to twisting state highways in Southeastern and South Central Ohio,” said Pontiac Solstice driver Michael “Druid” Tew of Uniontown, president of the NEO Kappa, the Northeast Ohio Solstice/ Sky enthusiast group and event coordinator.

“We are very excited to have so many Solstice/Sky enthusiasts in one place.”

Devotees drove from California, Texas, the Carolinas — even Alberta, Canada — to participate in the event.

“We all know each other by our handles rather than our names,” said Kimberly “ChiliSky” Clothier of Marietta, S.C., a member of the planning committee for this event. She drives a Saturn Sky.

Tew and Clothier have been participating in national meets since 2005.

What makes these cars special?

“Just look at them,” said Tew, who fell in love with the Solstice after seeing one on a magazine cover.

THE CARS

The Solstice was first on the market, introduced at the 2004 North American International Auto Show. It began production in Wilmington, Del., in mid-2005 for the 2006 model year.

The Sky, built on the same platform named Kappa, was introduced in 2005 at the auto show and went into production at the Wilmington plant in 2006 for the 2007 model year.

Production for both cars ended in July, when the Wilmington Assembly Plant closed.

THE OWNERS

The main difference, according to Clothier, is the Solstice is more rounded than the angularly designed Sky.

“There isn’t much that they share, everything is different on them,” she said, noting that internally, though, they do share parts. “The outside and interiors are completely different.”

They are fun to drive, she said, and they are more affordable than a Corvette or other high-end sports car.

“The biggest thing is that what came with these cars are the people,” Clothier said. “We’ve become this big Kappa family. It’s amazing.”

The people are the only reason some of those attending the event came.

“Absolutely,” said Maria “Snip” Zuberbier of Potter Valley, Calif. “We met many of them through the forums and we came to meet them in person.”

Old 06-13-2010, 10:06 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Karl,

I am at a loss for words outside of saying thank you for the kudo's and just to let everyone know, this really is an event for all of us owners and will be what we make it. From the interfacing my wife and I have had thus far, it should be a good time.

Eric

Old 06-13-2010, 10:23 PM
Administrator / Senior Member
Received 455 Likes on 321 Posts

Originally Posted by Erzer
Karl,

I am at a loss for words outside of saying thank you for the kudo's and just to let everyone know, this really is an event for all of us owners and will be what we make it. From the interfacing my wife and I have had thus far, it should be a good time.
Eric
Also a big thanks to the GCG for all the efforts and finances put into this.
And Karl, A nice thread ya started here with that first post.
I for one will be there for the entire event and will be proud to say "I WAS THERE" !!

Old 06-13-2010, 11:28 PM
Received 61 Likes on 49 Posts

Nearly a year ago a vote was taken for the location of this event. The majority voted St. Louis (1500+ miles away from me) and I was not one of the initial count that voted for STL. Was that gonna stop me from attending the greatest Crossfire event EVER!? My response back then...

Originally Posted by tighed1
So if we didn't vote for St. Louis that means we don't want to attend?

HELL I'm still in!

Just gotta get a hitch put on the coupe so I can tow the roadster!
Still stands. Wouldn't miss this for the world!
Was eating dinner with Jason (my son and copilot for the trip) and I told him that this would be a experience that we will remember for a lifetime.

Don't miss it.

Thanks to all that have brought all of this together.

Old 06-14-2010, 03:39 PM
Administrator / Senior Member
Received 455 Likes on 321 Posts

I am SSOOOOOO looking forward to meeting all of you that are coming from the west. ( the ones who can never attend Woodward, the Dragon and Carlisle)
So many names to put with faces !!! Can't wait !!!

Old 06-16-2010, 01:43 AM
Forum Regular

With this last email that came out this evening from the event organizers,
it really struck me as to how much work and logistics has gone into setting this up. I want to REALLY thank you for your hard work and the untold amount of time that you all have put into the planning and also thank you for the work that is yet to come. First round's on me

Steve

Old 06-16-2010, 12:20 PM
Forum Regular

I only can repeat what everyone else is saying

THANK YOU for organizing this event. Also I am one of the slow ones to sign up (yesterday), I still got great help from everyone to get the hotel accomodations and events I wanted to attend.

My daughter (9 years) can't wait to wear her special t-shirt and see all the other crossfires.

Again... THANK YOU!

Eric

Old 06-19-2010, 12:40 AM
Received 506 Likes on 350 Posts

Originally Posted by tighed1
Nearly a year ago a vote was taken for the location of this event. The majority voted St. Louis (1500+ miles away from me) and I was not one of the initial count that voted for STL. Was that gonna stop me from attending the greatest Crossfire event EVER!? My response back then...

Still stands. Wouldn't miss this for the world!
Was eating dinner with Jason (my son and copilot for the trip) and I told him that this would be a experience that we will remember for a lifetime.

Don't miss it.

Thanks to all that have brought all of this together.
That's cool DJ. I can relate.

My son is coming in from CT to participate. We haven't been able to do this kind of stuff together for years. He's 40 now with his own family and their own agendas.

I can't wait to enjoy automobile experiences with my kid again.

See ya next week pal.

Old 06-19-2010, 03:15 AM
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I also have to say a BIG thanks to the GCG for all of their efforts on this event. I've been looking forward to this event for over a year and I cannot believe it is almost here!! See ya in St Louie!

Old 06-19-2010, 02:13 PM
Received 531 Likes on 421 Posts

Roberta & I wish to extend our thanks and appreciation for the efforts put forth in setting this event up in St. Louis. I've gone over the car earlier today and we're prepped & ready to start our westward trek Sunday AM. We're really looking forward to seeing all of our fellow XFire enthusiasts.

Last edited by Erzer; 10-10-2010 at 11:04 PM.