Dragon slayers arriving home... Roll-call and highlights!!

Search this Thread

Old 10-03-2010, 08:52 PM
Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts
Default Dragon slayers arriving home... Roll-call and highlights!!

I got home arund 3pm this afternoon, Kim and I both had the time of our lives!! She loved everyone, and she and I were both blown away at the "family" feel to the whole meet. Didn't meet a stranger the whole time!!

Highlights of the weekend:
  • Running the dragon for the first time ever, in the dark, on the way to the lodge Friday night. No cops, no traffic, no restraints. It was a hoot.
  • Seeing ~80 Crossfires lined up in an oval, all meticulously cared for and in pristine condition.
  • Meeting so many beloved members that I've conversed with for the last four years. No wonder you guys felt like family!
  • Sunday morning run with Franc, Evan, John, and the Cubs fan in the blue roadster -- *****-to-the-wall driving on the Cherohala, Moonshiner 28, and seeing the Bald River Falls
  • Seeing Franc take a corner so hard, his right-rear tire lifted 4" off the ground
  • Trying (and succeeding) to replicate Franc's achievement of lifting a wheel
  • Receiving a compliment from Franc (arguably one of the better drivers on is forum) that I was 'seriously' underrating myself when I described my driving abilities
  • The view of the mountains Saturday morning while enjoying breakfast in the Bistro
  • Seeing, hearing, and salivating over Paul's V-8 roadster
And there were many more memories, but these popped out in particular.

So, let's hear 'em! Let us all know you got home safely, and share your favorite parts of the weekend!!!

Your new-found dragon addict,

John

Old 10-04-2010, 02:28 PM
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Default Re: Dragon slayers arriving home... Roll-call and highlights!!

Enjoyed the Trip down to the Dragon running with siXFOLD and his wife , also getting to meet so many friends and new faces that I have talked with on the forum , and Running the Dragon with Tom leading the aggressive and I do mean Agressive group , running behind (taz),and (bigkid) everytime they mashed down on it the barometric pressure would change in my car, and that v8 sounded !!! well you just had to be there ,and i'm not even going to tell the numbers we hit on the Cherohala,,,, Unfortunately I had to leave early ,and did not get to hang at the BBQ as planed , (perils of owning a bussiness) My car handled like it was on rails while in the twisties , Tom Thanks for taking the helm and giving us a great ride,John Book was right sometimes it feels just like work ,with a lot of excitement thrown in ,,,,Jim I hope the Trans thing was just the plug seal leaking and nothing more , hanging with you is always a highlite for me because I know when we hit the blacktop it's on,,,,, Thank you Gary for the job you do putting this together ,,,,,, I salute you,,,,,, Only disapointment for me was not having Nick , jOHN Book, and Boiler Running with us.....would have been priceless .....Counting the days till next year....

Howard

Old 10-04-2010, 03:01 PM
Forum Regular
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Made it home safe (wee nothing broke eather). Was not my best dragon run (damn broken clamp and traffic) but it was way worth it hanging out with all of you and seeing all the new ppl. I want to thank Rob (Needswings) for all his help and putting up with my questions. Going to keep working on the twin charging with help from Rob and all of you and some of my Friends it should not take alot longer.. hopefully complete bye next dragon run. (Loved the looks my monster got from some ppl lol) When i get the car payed off ill try to put that v8 in the mix I wonder how fast that would go (twin charged V8 mmmmmmm ) anyway thank you all for your support and friendship cant waite till next year

Old 10-04-2010, 03:02 PM

I was thinking of y'all this weekend as I was busy with a volunteer fund raiser to which I had committed long before I knew of (and bought) my 2008 XF Roadster. I was longing to attend this event But, gotta tell ya that maybe I am one of those who love the XF but am not a 'driver' in the truest sense of the word. Sooo - is there a place for me (and any who would love to meet those of you on the board) at next year's Tail? I don't want to spoil the fun for those more adventurous (and slower) than I am ........ Alicia

Old 10-04-2010, 04:01 PM
Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

We got home about Hour ago , did not get of the dragon until about 9:00 am and stop and eat in Lake city , Susan and I Had great time !!!!!!we moving kind slow Sunday after Sat. night so just nice ride Sunday and came back and chill , Thanks to Valk !! This meet as taken off !!! and with people like Dan helping it turn in to one of best !!!!!!!! so good to meet new people and seeing old freinds , What Great Time !!!!!!! Thanks to all Ray & Susan

Old 10-04-2010, 05:22 PM
Received 505 Likes on 349 Posts

Cathy and I had a great day today heading up the Nantahala Valley to Andrew and Highway 64 over to Cleveland TN.
Lovely soft dive thru pretty mountains.

Stopped in at our customer in Chatanooga where in the IT guys grabbed Crumpy and won't give her back.

I refuse to pay the ransom so I'm heading home alone tonite.

Tuesday, when they are done with the new barcode inventory system, she will return to St Louis. At least that is their story.

I am going to arrive late tonite in St Louis so I imagine the staff at the plant will order margaritas again for lunch.

Had a great time meeting and running with everyone at the Dragon meet. Did the Dragon only twice. Once coming in softly on Thursday and once timidly on Sunday. Still had a great time.

John, I hope you and Molly got home OK today.

We have to do this again sometime.

Thanks for all the work Gary and CICCI!

roadster with a stick

Last edited by Franc Rauscher; 10-05-2010 at 12:54 PM.
Old 10-04-2010, 06:20 PM

Lynda and I just arrived in booming Barrie Ontario an hour ago.

Wanted to take a second and thank Gary for the incredible time we both had at the Dragon!!!

we can't beleive how beautiful the area is and now where will we drive that will compare to that. (only 361 day's to go) and we're already booked

We had so much fun meeting so many new people, all of which were very welcoming to us newbie's Thank you!

Lynda and I hope to keep in touch with you all (sorry, Y'al) so I hope that you add us to your list, I did not have a pen all weeken (by choice) now I wish I had written all your fourum names as I don't remember them and will now have to wait all year to put it all together again.
so I hope you will add me to your contacts and keep in touch.

Gerry from Barrie, give me a call!

Sincerly,

Angelo- V2Addict

Old 10-04-2010, 06:25 PM
Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

This was my first Dragon slaying. Hope for many more to follow. Had a great time with a great car club. Thanks to all who had a part in organizing this event. Squirrel Crusher

Old 10-04-2010, 06:26 PM
Forum Regular

jerry/gwen and angelo/lynda,
it was really nice to have met fellow Southern Ontario Crossfire Owners . we did share a few laughs...but we had to go to north carolina to do so. just sent you guys an e-mail about a local gtg. let us know if you can make it.
nick (gryfan ) toth

Old 10-04-2010, 06:31 PM
Forum Regular

i want to thank the lovely "texans" who made those name tags. they were a great help.ithink their names are danny and sonia. that was very kind of "yu'll". they name tags were handy when trying to associate names to faces. it helped break down some barriers for some of us shyer ones.
thanks again!
gryfan ( nick toth)

Old 10-04-2010, 08:10 PM
Received 79 Likes on 63 Posts

Another great event! Good to see old friends and meet new ones. Thanks to Gary and Dan and many others to make this happen every year. Had a good drive coming home. We split off with Gary when we stopped for lunch. Gary was after a well earned rest in his own bed.

And in Judi's defense, we stopped to take this pic on the west side of the Dragon Monday morning, while the other guys waited for us. Sorry.

Old 10-04-2010, 08:22 PM
Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by James1549

And in Judi's defense, we stopped to take this pic on the west side of the Dragon Monday morning, while the other guys waited for us. Sorry.

Great photos! Wish I could have been there.

Old 10-04-2010, 08:36 PM

What a great event, thanks to Gary for all your efforts truly a great job, Dan great job on the Saturday run. Vince a pleasure to meet and hang with you, and THANKS for the service you gave for us. Evan good to see you, I will bring the Jack next summer. Nick hats and tee shirts greatly appreciated, big guys need to stick together. Ann make sure you bring your A game next time I will be ready!

Old 10-04-2010, 08:36 PM

John, I wanted to get a shot of the two colors of clones next to each other and it just didn't work out. Maybe next time! Nice to meet you as well.

James

Old 10-04-2010, 08:38 PM
Forum Regular

Made it home at 4 PM today. Glad to be home, but just full of great memories from this weekend. It was wonderful to meet so many people and catch up with old friends.

Thanks to Gary and Dan for all your tireless efforts to make this event such a great success. James, many thanks for the stickers.

It was so wonderful to be with friends this weekend, esp. my adventure friends on the Zip Line and horses: Dan, Kathy and Franc, Ruth and Eric, Pat and Micky and in the white water raft with Dan, Kim, Nick, Troy and Megan. It was great getting out of the car and enjoying the Smokies.

Look forward to the repeat next year.

Jane

Old 10-04-2010, 08:44 PM
Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

So what's up with the news I just got about BoilerUpXfire totaling his car at the Dragon?

Old 10-04-2010, 09:07 PM

A few more for tonight.

Early morning getting started:

Previous rock slide area

Old 10-04-2010, 09:19 PM
Administrator
Received 879 Likes on 685 Posts

I left the lodge around 10:30 and went back to the Foothills Parkway to get pictures from that "Look Rock" tower thing, then came back thru the Dragon and down 129 to Robbinsville and then home. 129 from the Gap to Robbinsville is a BEAUTIFUL drive!

My Biggest Highlight:

... Ran the Dragon four times on Friday when I arrived... it wasn't until I was done and telling others about it that something occurred to me: I had to let bikers by twice - but in four runs NO ONE ELSE EVER caught up with me! I have graduated from the "Prius led Sunday Driver Group"! (Danimal knows what I mean if no one else does.)

Other stuff:

Almost every person, when I told them who I was, responded the same: Big Smile, and "Ohhhhhh, YOU are Pizzaguy!" I guess we all get out 15 minutes of fame, one way or another - and I have had mine this year.

On Sunday, I was at the back of the group, can't remember why or where - but I fell way behind. I then had to MOVE IT to get caught up. LEO caught me doing between 60-70 in what I THINK was a 40 or 50 zone. He hit his brakes, I hit mine, I expected him to turn around - but he didn't. When I got over the hill, I went for it and got caught up. Pizza's luck changing? Maybe. He HAD to have known I was just catching up - not a valid excuse (if there is one), but I guess he let me go 'cause of that - he caught me in a spot he EASILY could have nabbed me.

Heard the tires squeal in a turn on the Dragon twice - not from horsepower, but from zipping around a turn a bit too fast... like I said, I've graduated. (And no, was not braking at the time.)

I had the time of my Crossfire Life this weekend.

(Alicia - there are groups for all driving levels, and some dont' come to drive, but to socialize - don't let that bother you.)

Rudy - Your comment at breakfast about "get an SRT, you'll have plenty of horsepower and you'll never look back" has me thinking. (Roadster with a stick vs. Roadster with 330 HP)

EVERYONE ELSE - Seems like all I did was talk, talk, talk, all weekend and yet, so many of you I don't remember meeting or talking to - but there is always next year.

Last edited by pizzaguy; 10-04-2010 at 11:31 PM.
Old 10-04-2010, 09:40 PM
Forum Regular

thanks scott,
i appreciate the props. may you wear that stuff in good health. too bad about "da bears". it was a pleasure to meet you. e-mail me if you get a chance. gryfan@hotmail.com
nick (gryfan)

Old 10-04-2010, 09:42 PM

Greg and I (Teresa) had a wonderful time! This was our first time to the Dragon and we will never forget all the new friends and good times with the old. We arrived back in Chatham, Illinois around 3pm today. After being stuck behind the red mini-van, in the Smokys, we made up a little of the lost time (see attached pic) crossing East Tennessee with a couple of the locals. Hope everyone made it home safe, and hope to see everyone again next year!!

Attached Thumbnails Dragon slayers arriving home... Roll-call and highlights!!-photo-1-.jpg   Dragon slayers arriving home... Roll-call and highlights!!-pa010951.jpg   Dragon slayers arriving home... Roll-call and highlights!!-photo-2-.jpg  

Quick Reply: Dragon slayers arriving home... Roll-call and highlights!!