'05 Srt 6 Charging problem

Search this Thread

Old 11-14-2013, 05:28 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default '05 Srt 6 Charging problem

Hi everyone. New to the forum and see a lot of good conversations taking place. Got my low mileage well cared for silver blue SRT about 6 months ago and really enjoy it, but am now having a charging problem. Changed alternator and have the same condition of flickering battery charge light and matching dome light flicker showing there is a sporadic positive voltage increase. With engine not running, battery voltage is 12.5 volts. With ignition on, the two small alt. plug in exciter wires ( blue and blue with white) read 11.7 and 11.4 and connections are good . Hard to believe the remanufactured alternator would act the same as my original 38,000 mile valeo unit. Have checked wiring connections and grounds as best as I can. What info. I have found tells me a specific scan tool would be needed to check ecm that feeds a pulse width through the alt. exciter wire and checks instrument electronic circuit that controls ecm. Is this out of my hands now or has anyone found a way I can check further. Would sure appreciate any help before I end up taking it to the dealer . Thanks ahead of time for checking my thread !
Smoke-house.

Old 11-14-2013, 05:51 PM
Received 153 Likes on 141 Posts
Default Re: '05 Srt 6 Charging problem

What info. I have found tells me a specific scan tool would be needed to check ecm that feeds a pulse width through the alt. exciter wire and checks instrument electronic circuit that controls ecm.
Most likely you can take a look at that with any old oscilloscope and monitor the pulse width and determine if it follows a set pattern or is all over the place.
I just bought a $60 hand held scope on Ebay from China for stuff like that and it's pretty neat.

Old 11-14-2013, 06:11 PM
Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

Just guessing here, how are your battery cables?

Old 11-14-2013, 08:30 PM

In reply to @Bill F,
Engine cranks great and cables clean. Battery has been no problem.

In reply to @ala_xfire,
will check into the oscilloscope. Just so I don't do any computer damage, I'll make sure about the compatibility.

Would like to thank both of you for the early response!. Will post what I find out.

Old 11-20-2013, 09:05 PM

Hello again.
A follow up on my charging problem-----
Delco remanufactured alt. I installed was no good. Lasted 1 minute then battery warning dash light flickered just like it did with my original alt. Sure suspected the problem to be in the ecm control at this point but exchanged reman. alt. with another unit and all is working fine now. It would be a good idea to use a new regulator on a rebuild as this part has the highest failure rate in this component.
Enjoy your ride!
smoke-house,
Manhattan Bch.