Northeast Forum Serving DE, MD, NJ, NY, OH, PA, VA, WV.

Looking At Crossfire for Daily Driver

Search this Thread

Old 06-14-2015, 09:41 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Looking At Crossfire for Daily Driver

Hi everyone! Im new to this, but Im looking to buy a 2004 Chrysler Crossfire with 49,000 miles on it that is in impeccable condition. I live in upstate NY and would use it as a daily driver. Am I completely insane? Also, I have seen mixed reviews on the reliability of these things. Are they worth it? I think the car looks really cool and am a huge fan, but as a college student on a budget, is this a bad move? Let me know what you think! Also, How does it handle in the snow, and what is the average cost per year?

Old 06-15-2015, 08:37 AM
Forum Regular
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Default Re: Looking At Crossfire for Daily Driver

Here is a pretty good thread that discusses the ups and downs of ownership:

https://www.crossfireforum.org/forum...ay-go-not.html

Some people have had their cars for years and have only done routine maintenance and others are ready to push their car off of a cliff. One thing to remember is ALL of these cars have had previous owners and you don't always know how they were treated. They may look nice, but paint and a good steam cleaning of the engine can make an old beater look like a great deal. Do your homework, do some reading, ask a ton of questions and maybe get a 3rd party warranty if you feel so inclined. Like any car, if you take care of it and don't ignore the general maintenance, it will last you as long as you want it. It also helps on costs if you can do some wrenching on it yourself and have the tools and a place to do that.

Good luck!!

RL

Old 06-15-2015, 08:46 AM
Received 534 Likes on 451 Posts

Originally Posted by BradenSG
Hi everyone! Im new to this, but Im looking to buy a 2004 Chrysler Crossfire with 49,000 miles on it that is in impeccable condition. I live in upstate NY and would use it as a daily driver. Am I completely insane? Also, I have seen mixed reviews on the reliability of these things. Are they worth it? I think the car looks really cool and am a huge fan, but as a college student on a budget, is this a bad move? Let me know what you think! Also, How does it handle in the snow, and what is the average cost per year?
Whatever anyone says, even with winter tires these cars must be hell to drive in the snow and ice. Get something with front wheel drive.
If you have no spare cash to talk about, forget a Crossfire. With over 50,000 miles on it they can get expensive to keep on the road, especially if you are not mechanically minded.

Old 06-15-2015, 08:56 AM

Originally Posted by onehundred80
Whatever anyone says, even with winter tires these cars must be hell to drive in the snow and ice. Get something with front wheel drive.
If you have no spare cash to talk about, forget a Crossfire. With over 50,000 miles on it they can get expensive to keep on the road, especially if you are not mechanically minded.
Fair enough, I am actually planning on heading south with it next year, so is it not worth dealing with it for a year? And define mechanically minded. I can do the oil changes and such myself, but wouldn't be able to replace a transmission etc.

Old 06-15-2015, 09:47 AM
Forum Regular

Fair enough, I am actually planning on heading south with it next year, so is it not worth dealing with it for a year? And define mechanically minded. I can do the oil changes and such myself, but wouldn't be able to replace a transmission etc.
You are the only one that will know if this is a good fit for you financially at any given time. Please don't take this the wrong way, but if you have to ask how much it costs to maintain a car (especially a non-practical car like this), you probably don't have the budget to own one.

There are always Crossfires for sale - several come up for sale every year on this forum and you stand a slightly better chance of getting a well cared for car by buying from a forum member.

I'm with 180 on this - get yourself a dependable, inexpensive "college" car for now, and maybe treat yourself to a Xfire for your graduation present to yourself

RL

Old 06-15-2015, 11:39 AM

Originally Posted by RL67037
You are the only one that will know if this is a good fit for you financially at any given time. Please don't take this the wrong way, but if you have to ask how much it costs to maintain a car (especially a non-practical car like this), you probably don't have the budget to own one.

There are always Crossfires for sale - several come up for sale every year on this forum and you stand a slightly better chance of getting a well cared for car by buying from a forum member.

I'm with 180 on this - get yourself a dependable, inexpensive "college" car for now, and maybe treat yourself to a Xfire for your graduation present to yourself

RL
That's a very valid point. I only ask how much because I am completely not sure. Is it like owning a Chrysler town and country? A BMW, or a Lamborgini. The first two I can afford, the latter not so much.

Old 06-15-2015, 12:52 PM
Forum Regular

That's a very valid point. I only ask how much because I am completely not sure. Is it like owning a Chrysler town and country? A BMW, or a Lamborgini. The first two I can afford, the latter not so much.
Probably more along the lines of a BMW from that list. The parts can be a bit pricey and you will need to do some studying before you just dive in to wrenching on it. But, they can be maintained very well with some basic mechanical skills, this forum and an open mind.

If you're looking at an '04 Coupe:

Make sure it has a good battery (less than 3 years old). These cars are very susceptible to low voltage (even just a little low).

The CPS (Crankshaft Position Sensor) has been known to cause the car to suddenly die. Do a search on here and learn about it. If you need one, it's best to buy a Bosch - $50.

The RCM (Relay Control Module) is also a factor in these cars not wanting to start. If you have a soldering iron and some skills, it's a free fix. A shop will rape you on diagnostics and then want to sell you a new module (another raping).

If it hasn't had the "Sticky Key Fix" done to it - you will want to do that as soon as you can. Again, free if you do it yourself, a shop will want to sell you a new tumbler that may or may not be designed correctly.

If it needs tires, you'll probably be looking at around $200 per tire, maybe a bit more.

Even though it's a 6 cylinder, there are 2 plugs per cylinder so be prepared if you keep it till it's got around 100K on it.

Use Mobil 1 for oil changes and fleece filters (not paper)

Above all, if you do decide to take the plunge and something goes wrong, come here first, not the dealership. Do a search and if you can't find the fix, ask for help. You might get razzed for asking a question that has been asked thousands of times, but you'll get a free answer and a tutorial on how to fix it. If you're not confident on doing the work yourself, print the thread and take it to your shop. At least they'll have a starting point.

Also - if the car you're looking at is listed on-line, post a link and we'd be happy to take a look.

RL

Last edited by RL67037; 06-15-2015 at 12:58 PM.
The following users liked this post:
Biodesl (03-23-2021)
Old 06-15-2015, 01:27 PM
Received 35 Likes on 34 Posts

When they work they really work well. I didn't fit originally and wanted an infotainment system from this century so some mods were done but really have only had oil changes in the last year.

Keep in mind that they do not carry much so about as far from a Town and Country as you can get. OTOH the convertible top is power and easy to open/close so far from the erector set used on a Lambo. Is also lots easier to park.

The one thing I would be rally leary of in a NY car is that they use salt there and the Crossie does tend to rust places.

Key is to have a friend with a pickup or van you can borrow to bring home a big TV.. Then you will have it made.

Old 06-17-2015, 12:50 PM
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

[QUOTE=RL67037;839266]Probably more along the lines of a BMW from that list.

Just to add to RL6's comment. THIS NOT A CHRYSLER, ITS A MERCEDES. All the major components of this car are from Mercedes. So costs are 1:1 with the cost of doing repairs on them. All the advice above is very good.

Great if you do your basic maintenance, don't blow a tire (no spare), join the forum (a must) and CICCI (the Crossfire club for fun!).

Don't think about driving in snow, unless you love way too much excitement, like getting stuck or fish tailing.

The car holds 8qts of oil not 4, and must use Mobile1 so its double the cost of oil changes, do it yourself its easy - read how to on the forum. But definitely more expensive.

I drove mine for 5 years as a daily driver, the last 5 i've worked from home. Also, as mentionned above, I have a Dodge Dakota as well, so the XF is for driving fun, the Dakota does all the dirty work (I love them both).

Old 10-20-2017, 11:00 PM

I am new to this game. I nee all the help I can get. Thank You for inviting me into your fold. I have been shopping but have not squeezed the trigger yet. Nervous. Very. Once Again,Thank You!!!

Old 01-15-2019, 08:11 AM

Hi guys! Because of the college I don't have time to take care of my baby car. I swear I do my assignment, not hopeless. And do you know how? Of course, with the OceanEssay writing service. Me and my car are together since 2015 and always the car and my college have been standing against each other. Yeah, I like fancy driving and don't like studying. Hope, you've solved the problem.

Old 01-15-2019, 10:24 AM
Received 35 Likes on 34 Posts

Is the essay service good for begging for money ?

To be more specific the Crossfire is wonderful as a daily driver and is easy to park. The coupe can hold quite a bit. That said the chassis and interior are R170 (SLK320) Mercedes. I use only Bosch replacements and can usually find on Amazon or eBay. Have had since 2013, the '07 Coupe has 130k miles, and everything works. Did replace the radio with Bluetooth/Handsfree, just some wiring. Don't expect any help from a dealer.

Old 03-19-2020, 08:44 AM

Originally Posted by FidelJones
Hi guys! Because of the college I don't have time to take care of my baby car. I swear I write my assignment, not hopeless. And do you know how? Of course, with the essays for sale on this website. Me and my car are together since 2015 and always the car and my college have been standing against each other. Yeah, I like fancy driving and don't like studying. Hope, you've solved the problem.
My college takes a lot of time too. I am looking for different ways to get at least some free time. Thank you so much for your advice.

Old 03-19-2020, 08:45 AM

Originally Posted by FidelJones
Hi guys! Because of the college I don't have time to take care of my baby car. I swear I do my assignment, not hopeless. And do you know how? Of course, with the essays for sale on this website. Me and my car are together since 2015 and always the car and my college have been standing against each other. Yeah, I like fancy driving and don't like studying. Hope, you've solved the problem.
My college takes a lot of time too. I am looking for different ways to get at least some free time. Thank you so much for the advice.

Old 03-19-2020, 08:52 AM
Forum Regular
Received 21 Likes on 18 Posts

I'm thinking that there are at least 3 BOTS (low count posters) in this thread that people have been responding to.