Northwest Forum Serving AK, ID, OR, WA.

Where do you get your car serviced?

Search this Thread

Old 09-12-2012, 10:02 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Where do you get your car serviced?

I'm up from Colorado where I used to let a Dealership service my car. It used to cost me about $125 for the service but since I've been up in the Redmond, WA area I've consistently been quoted over $200 so I was wondering where people here were getting their cars serviced.

I generally prefer only letting certified mechanics work on it so they can tell me if anything else is actually wrong, but as that's pretty rare these days and the Chrysler dealerships in the area suck I'm not real confident leaving it with them. The last time I tried they over filled it, used the "wrong" oil, and then still tried to charge me $300 for the service.

So, advice would be appreciated.

Thanks;
_WAter_

Old 09-12-2012, 10:41 PM
Default Re: Where do you get your car serviced?

Well, since you asked, my garage. I've never taken a vehicle to anyone for any service or repair unless it involved equipment I couldn't rent or borrow. Alignments and exhaust mostly... and engine machine work. I've done some exhaust work, but the pros can bend up custom stuff so nice and quick it's not worth it to me to mess with the prebent kits. I have a friend who lets me use his tire equipment, so I just buy the tires and go install them myself now.

Old 09-14-2012, 12:48 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Two suggestions. When I bought my car I took it to Auburn Foreign and Domestic (725 Auburn Way, N Auburn, WA 253-833-8161) to get it checked out. They were recommended by AAA. I was impressed with the service I got there. They seemed to have a lot of Mercedes there for service and familiar with the car. They were close to where I bought my car but not close to where I live otherwise I would have gone back to them. Fortunately all I have had to do is oil change which I do myself. The previous owner of my car had it serviced at Smokey Point Dodge Chrysler Jeep (16610 Smokey Point Blvd, Arlington, WA 360-653-5664). I have talked to the service manager there and they did have a Crossfire trained technician there. There are probably many others. Most MB dealers will work on the car. I had some wheel alignment done at Wilson MB in Bellingham.

Old 09-14-2012, 01:02 PM

I use the mechanic I trust. ME. I also use the doctor I trust. ME. I expect my Crossfire and me to go 140 years. gary with Waxoyl and Epsom salt. google them...

Old 09-14-2012, 02:54 PM
Administrator
Received 883 Likes on 688 Posts

Originally Posted by WAterTriAd
I'm up from Colorado where I used to let a Dealership service my car. It used to cost me about $125 for the service but since I've been up in the Redmond, WA area I've consistently been quoted over $200 so I was wondering where people here were getting their cars serviced.

I generally prefer only letting certified mechanics work on it so they can tell me if anything else is actually wrong,
So, what you are really talking about is an oil change. I do mine at home, costs between $70 and $90 depending on what Mobile 1 is going for.

The experiences you describe are why WE DO NOT TAKE THESE CARS TO DEALERS. Your car is NOT a Chrysler product, it was built in Germany for MERCEDES - the only CHRYSLER in your car is the print on the manual and the Chrome strips on the front and back that say "Chrysler".

Find an independent shop that works on Mercedes - that is what I do for anything I can't do myself.

For alignment you need a specialty shop that, again, is familiar with Mercedes.

Certified Mechanic - yea, sounds like that is really working out for you. Again, FORGET THAT, talk to local people or simply call around to the shops that advertise they specialize in Mercedes or Mercedes/Benz/etc. and see who says, "Oh, ya, the Crossfire - that's just an SLK". THAT is the guy you want. I say this NOT based on opinion, but on my personal experience.

Taking your Mercedes Crossfire to a Chrysler dealer is like taking your Chrysler Lebaron to a Mercedes dealer.

Last edited by pizzaguy; 09-14-2012 at 02:58 PM.
Old 09-24-2012, 07:32 PM
Forum Regular

My wife has found a Service Center here in Boise. Ok, first I found they have an experience guy that used to work for one of the Past Chrysler Dealers that has been certified Crossfire. Oh, my juices are going...the oil change would be $45 if I bring in all the Oil and filter....oh even better my wife went in to get a new headlight and how much did he charge???? nothing, that's right NOTHING. He said that it took less than 15 min to change and since he had one in stock, he would let her have that one. Working fine now. Oh, please Lord make this a great Mechanic. A crossfire Mechanic. If he is really good I will announce the Name on the site for Northwest Folks!

I still get my oil chaned at my Honda Dealer becuse he changes the Oil and filter for just $95. Can't beat that. Since I got it there he says that will be my price always.??? Really? I don't think so, but so far Yes it is.

Kj

Old 10-08-2014, 09:29 PM

Does anyone know a shop or good mechanic around Portland, Oregon or Vancouver, WA. My baby 2005 red Crossfire only has 62K miles on it but now all of the sudden after having the car at the local dealership **** Hannah the car came back to me with another dash light on; the coolant indicator light. We took the car back to them after already having the ignition switch and modulator replaced ($1130). Whew..........now this and they wanted another $80 diagnostic fee where both parts they recommended did not work and did not turn the light off or the fan on that's needed to keep the car from overheating !!

Please, I need to find a good shop or mechanic !!!

Thank You !!

Please HELP !!

Old 10-15-2014, 01:39 AM

I personally took mine to the Chrysler dealership for years...and just eventually got sick of getting sucked dry and it was SO obvious they knew NOTHING about my car. I FINALLY took the advice people on this forum and facebook have told me for years...I googled independent Mercedes repair shops and found an absolutely fabulous mechanic who is my NEW BEST FRIEND...find someone who works on Mercedes and save yourself some headache and money. Chrysler just gets the parts from MB and jacks them up. This guy knew more about my car in the 10 minute interview I gave him than Chrysler dealership did the 8 years I took it there.

Old 10-15-2014, 01:43 PM
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Unless it is a absolutely necessary, Listen to the pizzaguy (Mark) and DON'Tl take your car to the Stealership!!...They will suck you financially dry and you probably will not get your condition/question resolved...as pizzaguy suggested, seek out a person that is a very learned mechanic who knows Mercedes/Crossfires ...that is if you can't do it yourself. Where the latter is concerned, as pizzaguy states can, in most cases ( at least it has been for me), be dealt with by some on this fabulous Forum...where a wealth of knowledge/advice is available only for the asking.. .I have become a novice mechanic in a lot of the areas because of this Forum !!!! It's the greatest!!!...Carl

BTW...as an example, I lost my top windshield molding...Stealership wanted 568.00...found the 3 piece set on the Forum for 150.00, installed it myself with help from this Forum...

Last edited by cg80; 10-15-2014 at 01:45 PM. Reason: more info
Old 10-15-2014, 05:18 PM
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by Bloo Ize
I personally took mine to the Chrysler dealership for years...and just eventually got sick of getting sucked dry and it was SO obvious they knew NOTHING about my car. I FINALLY took the advice people on this forum and facebook have told me for years...I googled independent Mercedes repair shops and found an absolutely fabulous mechanic who is my NEW BEST FRIEND...find someone who works on Mercedes and save yourself some headache and money. Chrysler just gets the parts from MB and jacks them up. This guy knew more about my car in the 10 minute interview I gave him than Chrysler dealership did the 8 years I took it there.

I stopped by my local ind MB shop. All he would say is " I won't touch it". Grumpy dude!

Old 10-15-2014, 06:35 PM
Received 19 Likes on 17 Posts

Sounds like you have some info for finding a shop in your area. You just have to interview the people to see if they are knowledgeable about that engine. It's not a bad car to change the oil on. I take my time when I do mine and I have it down to a half hour. I like to let it drain for awhile. I did my Mercedes for the first time, and it took longer, because it has a few more panels to take loose to get to the oil drain plug. I can now do it in about half hour as well now. Takes the same filter and I use the same oil. Changing your own oil gives me a sense of security knowing it was done and done right with the right oil, the right filters, a new drain washer, and filled properly. Good luck.....