Other Cars The Crossfire isn't the only car out there. Discuss all the others in here.

Please wish me luck!!!

Old 04-18-2014, 09:49 AM
Received 23 Likes on 13 Posts
Default Re: Please wish me luck!!!

Nice Anthony!!!!!

Old 04-20-2014, 12:51 AM
Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

Steve and John met up with me today at a local shop to dyno the CL. Steve, being his usual patient and easy-going self, waited with me for over 4 hours to allow the CL to properly cool down to insure the boost wouldn't be decreased due to high IAT's.

At the time I dyno'd the highest number of the day was from a modified E55 AMG with a 172mm crank pulley, tune, and meth. He had mid 400's for both HP and TQ.

My car had been setting up front since before 90% of the guys arrived, so it seemed to be a center of attention and there was lots of speculation and pressure on me for it to perform well (hence the EXTENDED cool down).

Anyway, the car performed like a champ, producing around 510HP and 655TQ to the wheels. Based on Edmunds dyno of the same car and basic math, the car is underated and actually producing 610HP and 775TQ at the crank. The MB numbers state the car only produces 738TQ, but that's not that much of a diffence. What's 40TQ between friends?

http://youtu.be/kkDXBEZH8ak

Last edited by grip grip; 06-11-2014 at 09:01 AM.
Old 04-20-2014, 12:58 AM
Forum Regular
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Holy ****.

Old 04-20-2014, 12:59 AM
Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

You guys missed the symphony behind the car... I snuck outside for the last pull, and she sounds MEAN at WOT... Still quiet compared to some cars there today, but you can hear that the motor has an enlarged set of *****.

Fun times today!

Old 04-20-2014, 01:09 AM

Originally Posted by boostmonkey
Holy ****.
It's a heavy ****, but the numbers more than make up for it.

Originally Posted by JHM2K
You guys missed the symphony behind the car... I snuck outside for the last pull, and she sounds MEAN at WOT... Still quiet compared to some cars there today, but you can hear that the motor has an enlarged set of *****.

Fun times today!
Did you happen to video that??

Old 04-20-2014, 10:17 AM
Received 19 Likes on 17 Posts

I really like the looks of the car. I like my simple ole' E-350 and it's ride, can't imagine having the same comfort and ride, with that much HP.... Nice find Anthony.

Old 04-20-2014, 04:21 PM
Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Very awesome that you pulled it off (purchasing). Congrats! Thanks for all your contribution here,and getting some of your mods. I look forward to seeing some new 1/4 vid.'s of the beast. P.S.- "Checks in the mail"

Old 04-20-2014, 06:22 PM
Received 22 Likes on 18 Posts

Steve's gotta be sitting bricks already! Dang you, now I'm searching the local webs for a 65CL. Very small chance of my finding one below 50 grand on my island paradise. Moah powah to Antonknee!

Les

Old 04-20-2014, 07:12 PM

Originally Posted by oledoc2u
I really like the looks of the car. I like my simple ole' E-350 and it's ride, can't imagine having the same comfort and ride, with that much HP.... Nice find Anthony.
Thanks. I bet an E55 AMG would be right down your alley then.

Originally Posted by dinasrt
Very awesome that you pulled it off (purchasing). Congrats! Thanks for all your contribution here,and getting some of your mods. I look forward to seeing some new 1/4 vid.'s of the beast. P.S.- "Checks in the mail"
Thanks. Hopefully some of my old threads will come in handy. I'm definitely a little over-the-top with the write ups and photos on the forums.

Originally Posted by velociabstract
Steve's gotta be sitting bricks already! Dang you, now I'm searching the local webs for a 65CL. Very small chance of my finding one below 50 grand on my island paradise. Moah powah to Antonknee!

Les
I never would have gotten it if it hadn't been so cheap. I still sort of regret not saving 5-6 grand and getting the CL600, but I will get over it. The car is definitley a little rough around the edges, but you'd have to be OCD like me to notice. As MotorTrend stated, you get a really nice car when you purchase the 6.0 V12 TT engine, and that's exactly how I prioritized the purchase. Other's would have focused on perfect paint and perfect interior, whereas I focused on the drivetrain.

Old 04-20-2014, 07:47 PM

There are plenty of interior parts around, and paint is paint. I looked at the E55's, and even came close to a black purchase of one. I was thinking the better half would do better with the 4-matic, and it was for her. But, I like the two door look better. More of a sportier look. I also came close to owning a Maybach I found in Chicago. I was up to 55k on a 155K car. They would have taken my offer but wouldn't produce any information about the car. When I asked around about maintenance, I was skeptical, and again, it was for the wife. Kind of regretting that find, but I may have never been able to flip it. So, there are some really neat AMG, MB cars out there if you search the Chicago, NY, NJ areas. They seem to be the popular ride in those cities. Good luck, can't wait to see some times with it. I have seen some at the Chicago tracks test and tunes, and they have a hard time hooking up... I saw a black spin all the way down the track....

Old 04-21-2014, 12:32 AM

Originally Posted by grip grip
Did you happen to video that??
Sadly no... Was too busy admiring LOL

Old 04-21-2014, 10:01 AM
Received 23 Likes on 13 Posts

Nice Anthony! That's just crazy lol. I want that motor in the E now lol.

Old 04-23-2014, 11:49 AM
Forum Regular
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Congratulations and good luck with the CL. Very sharp looking, enjoyed the pics.

Old 04-23-2014, 12:00 PM

Originally Posted by autumnmass
Congratulations and good luck with the CL. Very sharp looking, enjoyed the pics.
Yes, the photographer needs a raise

Old 04-24-2014, 10:19 PM

I installed the race setup tonight consisting of the following:

- 18" x 9 1/2" wheels
- MT ET Streets - 265/40-18
- 15mm spacers
- stock lug bolts

This BARELY clears the dust shield by 3/16" at most.

Once the ABC is diagnosed (Star DAS came in today) I'll be pulling some 0-60MPH runs on the streets. I won't be happy until I see 3.8 seconds.

IMG_20140424_200554_821_zpsgb22jz8w.jpg

IMG_20140424_200611_390_zpspdegg0zc.jpg

IMG_20140424_201622_230_zpstzjjysjj.jpg

IMG_20140424_201643_825_zpskwsgdqpy.jpg

IMG_20140424_202016_886_zpsxzwf4waq.jpg

Look really close in this photo you can see how close the dust shield is to the wheel.

IMG_20140424_202027_291_zpskzvgxqmf.jpg

Old 04-27-2014, 12:37 PM
Forum Regular
Received 26 Likes on 25 Posts

I see the edmunds boys bought a used one also to do a long term test on. I hope your ABC is not going out like theirs did. Great car but its maintenance cost are high but you did said its not a DD so you should be fine.

However, the engine seems to be bulletproof its just the suspension like on the other MB's that has the active suspension set up. The guy who is long testing theirs even said he is thinking about buying it for himself after the test because he just loves it.

2005 Mercedes-Benz CL65 AMG Long-Term Road Test - Maintenance

Last edited by philosophico; 04-27-2014 at 12:40 PM.
Old 04-27-2014, 02:34 PM

I found a roadster I liked in Houston TX...but, like the other V-12 I looked at in Chicago, the maintenance thing was the killer... The one in Houston I think could have been bought for 20-22K as it was an '04 w/ 58K on it. I would think the ABC might have been the reason for the sale. But, if it is a track car, can't wait to see some times...

Old 04-27-2014, 04:27 PM

Originally Posted by philosophico
I see the edmunds boys bought a used one also to do a long term test on. I hope your ABC is not going out like theirs did. Great car but its maintenance cost are high but you did said its not a DD so you should be fine.

However, the engine seems to be bulletproof its just the suspension like on the other MB's that has the active suspension set up. The guy who is long testing theirs even said he is thinking about buying it for himself after the test because he just loves it.

2005 Mercedes-Benz CL65 AMG Long-Term Road Test - Maintenance
I've been following their tests. And as you stated, the ABC is really the only concern.

I found a roadster I liked in Houston TX...but, like the other V-12 I looked at in Chicago, the maintenance thing was the killer... The one in Houston I think could have been bought for 20-22K as it was an '04 w/ 58K on it. I would think the ABC might have been the reason for the sale. But, if it is a track car, can't wait to see some times...

Doc, don't be so put-off by ABC horror stories. If you buy one, consider the Star DAS mandatory as part of the purchase, and you should be able to avoid the dealership. It's not that the ABC frequently fails, it's just that when parts fail, a lot of guys open their wallet and take it to the dealership. There are plenty of write-ups over on MB World on how to rebuild the expensive parts with $10 in O-rings you can install yourself. Also, instead of paying $1,500 for a hose, you can have them built at a hydraulic shop for a tenth of that.

By the way, I ran a Star DAS quick scan on my car to diagnose my ABC fault codes (I hit 3 huge potholes causing a blowout). The test was easy to run and it stated I need 2 sensors and even showed me photos of where they're located. Furthermore, instead of spending $240 on them new, I bought a used set on ebay for $40 shipped. Not too shabby.

Last edited by grip grip; 04-30-2014 at 12:03 PM.
Old 04-27-2014, 07:04 PM

Hey, I would love that car in Houston. My better half even likes it. I am thinking it would be my daily driver. I only drive 3 miles to work. I am itching for a new daily driver that is a more sporty. I may sell my car trailer and Tahoe as I really don't need them. I have my Zuki for winter. I may have a Houston member take a look at it for me. It is Iradium Silver. You got me thinking as I like that 2 door look. I would love to have the hard top convertible as well...and the power....well I'm waiting for you to show me that...lol

Old 04-27-2014, 08:04 PM

Hey, I would love that car in Houston. My better half even likes it. I am thinking it would be my daily driver. I only drive 3 miles to work. I am itching for a new daily driver that is a more sporty. I may sell my car trailer and Tahoe as I really don't need them. I have my Zuki for winter. I may have a Houston member take a look at it for me. It is Iradium Silver. You got me thinking as I like that 2 door look. I would love to have the hard top convertible as well...and the power....well I'm waiting for you to show me that...lol

Just make sure that you get an '04 or newer V12, as the earlier models were NA. Post a link if you don't mind to the 600 you're looking at.

Quick Reply: Please wish me luck!!!