Other Cars The Crossfire isn't the only car out there. Discuss all the others in here.

Anyone near Corona California?

Old 10-17-2014, 04:07 PM
FP
Received 15 Likes on 13 Posts
Default Anyone near Corona California?

Willing to check out a car for me? No, it's not a Crossfire. I'm looking at a 1957 Porsche Speedster 356 with under 1,400 miles. The car is a high end replica, not a real one. I have tons of pics. The car looks great, but I would feel better making sure it starts, and sounds right, and a walk around to make sure the pictures are actual.

Please let me know if you can do me this favor.....

Old 10-17-2014, 05:20 PM
Forum Regular
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Re: Anyone near Corona California?

Originally Posted by FP
Willing to check out a car for me? No, it's not a Crossfire. I'm looking at a 1957 Porsche Speedster 356 with under 1,400 miles. The car is a high end replica, not a real one. I have tons of pics. The car looks great, but I would feel better making sure it starts, and sounds right, and a walk around to make sure the pictures are actual.

Please let me know if you can do me this favor.....

I will be at the Pomona Swap Meet this weekend, he's pretty close to that, if he could give me a call, I could meet him outside the gate and check it out. I have an old '57 Speedster, mine was made out of a rolled over 356 coupe back in 82, it gets a lot of attention.

Basically it really depends on who built the car you are looking at; Vintage Speedsters are located in LA and a lot of them come from them. Vintage does a nice clean job but it's on the low in as far as replicas go, I believe the owner's name is Roy, I've met him a couple of times. He use to use a 1770 something motor but lately I think he's using a 1915, which in my opinion is a great motor. JBS and Beck are a level above and of course Intermeccanica's are light years ahead for the rest and their price reflects that. Mine is an old, old Intermeccania, one of their first and nothing like the ones made now, but when Henry (the owner of Intermeccania) saw it, he was impressed. He came up to me and asked if it was one of his old ones and when I said yes, he said, but the pan, gauges, mirrors and lights are all original, and then I told him how it was made. Mine (and some would argue the 'enjoy' part) enjoys a lot of undeserved patina (rust on the rims and all the trim is well corroded) it truly looks like it just came out of a barn and I love it that way. I've probably have had more fun driving it, over any other vehicle that I've owned. Henry loved it too, he said he wouldn't change a thing. Back on yours, if you have pictures and the padding on the dash just has a chrome strip along the bottom and not a two inch pad, it's a Vintage Speedster. All the other manufacturers have the pad like the originals. Also check out the gauges, low end gauges are a dead give away.

Hope the above helps and if you want me to look at it, I will be in his neighborhood this weekend, but since I'm selling at Pomona, I won't have time to go to his place. BTW: I live about four hours north of him, so this weekend would be the time to see it.

Dave

Last edited by americanretrodave; 10-17-2014 at 05:23 PM.
Old 10-17-2014, 07:44 PM
FP
Received 15 Likes on 13 Posts

Thank you Dave. Much appreciated. I have an offer already from another member which I've accepted.Here's a picture. It was build for him in 2011 by Vintage Speedsters.

Attached Images
File Type: jpg
7.JPG (104.0 KB, 14 views)
3.JPG (451.1 KB, 15 views)
8.JPG (124.5 KB, 14 views)
6.JPG (123.8 KB, 14 views)

Last edited by FP; 10-17-2014 at 07:50 PM.
Old 10-17-2014, 10:44 PM
Forum Regular
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by FP
Thank you Dave. Much appreciated. I have an offer already from another member which I've accepted.Here's a picture. It was build for him in 2011 by Vintage Speedsters.

Vintage Speedsters have sold more speedsters than all the other guys put together, they make a nice car and yours looks beautiful. Love the color. I think in 11 they were using the 1915 motor and their motor guy does a nice job. If you want to be blown away, look up Intermeccania on the internet and see what they are doing. It's amazing to see how far they've come. There is a Speedster forum with a great bunch of guys, a little crazy, but aren't we all. Most of the guys in the group have Vintage Speedsters.

Dave