Other Cars The Crossfire isn't the only car out there. Discuss all the others in here.

Chrysler Pacifica

Old 01-18-2016, 06:37 PM
Received 506 Likes on 350 Posts
Default Chrysler Pacifica

We have always had a minivan ever since Lee Iacocca put one on the market in 1984. Currently we drive a 1999 Grand Caravan with all the bells and whistles. I just spent the last year rebuilding it from suspension to body and paint because we have seen nothing out there we like.

I have tried to get Crumpy interested in the Pacifica because the minivans today are too dull, too boxy and too uninspired. But she has resisted for reasons from car payments to a fondness for her green "Kermit" that has served us so well (240K on the clock and still rides and drives nicely)

I spent about five grand making it nice so we could get another two or three years out of it. That old and that many miles, it is sorta on life support. Pouring all that cash in is like a 70 year old getting dental work. A risky investment as they could die of a heart attack the next day. But, she really likes her car so, I spent the dough and did the work anyways.. And then it happened. Good news or bad, I'm not yet sure.

Last night she saw the announcement from the Auto Show with the new 2017 Pacifica. Today she asked me if I would mind her selling the SRT coupe.

I guess she is hooked.

Maybe we will have a Crossie on the market soon. Not yet, or I would have put this in the Cars for Sale thread. New tires, clean wheels and interior. One small dent in the driver door I will have attended. About 55K on the clock. (My Roadster with a Stick is not for sale,,,, PERIOD)

Meanwhile check this out.

http://www.chrysler.com/en/pacifica/...543372140&TR=1

Last edited by Franc Rauscher; 01-18-2016 at 06:54 PM.
Old 01-19-2016, 12:27 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Re: Chrysler Pacifica

Makes sense they are badging it as a Pacifica. I see older ones all over the road out here. They stick out due to that similar grille.

Old 01-19-2016, 01:40 PM
Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts

Franc - If Crumpy loves her '99 Caravan, she will adore the new Pacifica. Saw it last week at the Detroit auto show and like most vehicles, it definitely looks better in real life. The interior is amazing. FCA invested $2B in development and tooling, so they're all in.

The hybrid version should be interesting, and I hope the dealers are ready to sell/service it properly.

Old 01-19-2016, 01:51 PM

Originally Posted by harbor
Franc - If Crumpy loves her '99 Caravan, she will adore the new Pacifica. Saw it last week at the Detroit auto show and like most vehicles, it definitely looks better in real life. The interior is amazing. FCA invested $2B in development and tooling, so they're all in.

The hybrid version should be interesting, and I hope the dealers are ready to sell/service it properly.
Thanks.

I'm interested in the Hybrid "just because" but Crumpy says NO! to that.

As for styling, the front profiles of both the '99 Caravan and the 2017 Pacifica are amazingly similar. As do the side profiles.

Remarkably, the 2017 Pacifica appears to be an upgraded version of the '99 car she really likes. How often have we said, "I really like my old car, I wish they made a new one like it."

I look forward to a viewing of the real thing.

Last edited by Franc Rauscher; 01-26-2016 at 11:43 PM.
Old 01-20-2016, 05:21 PM

We haven't been to an Auto Show in over 25 years. Next weekend, January 30th, we are set for the one here in St Louis. I guess Crumpy has her mind set.

Unless I win the lottery,,,, an Aero Blue SRT coupe going on the market soon.

Old 01-20-2016, 06:38 PM

Originally Posted by Franc Rauscher
We haven't been to an Auto Show in over 25 years. Next weekend, January 30th, we are set for the one here in St Louis. I guess Crumpy has her mind set.

Unless I win the lottery,,,, an Aero Blue SRT coupe going on the market soon.
Just buy a winning powerball ticket for $50M and you're all set.
Powerball :: The official Web site of the Missouri Lottery

Hopefully Crumpy can hold off for a late production 2017 or a 2018 model. We all know how 1st year models fare in quality.

Also, interested in your thoughts on the new Fiat 124 Spider which should also be at the St. Louis show.

Old 01-20-2016, 08:20 PM

Just buy a winning powerball ticket for $50M and you're all set.
Powerball :: The official Web site of the Missouri Lottery

Hopefully Crumpy can hold off for a late production 2017 or a 2018 model. We all know how 1st year models fare in quality.

Also, interested in your thoughts on the new Fiat 124 Spider which should also be at the St. Louis show.

I'm not a fan of the Fiat Line but who can say no to checking out a sexy, topless, Italian?
So
Okay, I'll take a peek. But just for you.

Last edited by Franc Rauscher; 01-20-2016 at 09:49 PM.
Old 01-22-2016, 07:21 PM
Forum Regular
Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

I always found the Pacifica an attractive car but I must say car shows just ain't what they used to be when TVR was participating back in the 70's.

Last edited by MiamiTVR; 01-22-2016 at 10:45 PM. Reason: self censored
Old 01-22-2016, 08:22 PM

Originally Posted by MiamiTVR
I always found the Pacifica an attractive car but I must say car shows just ain't what they used to be when TVR was participating back in the 70's.

"British International Motor Show at Earls Court only to be confronted by ... on the bonnet of TVR's latest model, completely stark-knockered-naked."

I doubt I would take my wife along to one of those shows. But thanks for the "moment"

Old 01-22-2016, 10:46 PM
Forum Regular
Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

I cleaned it up and apologize if I offended.

Enjoy the new one.

Old 01-23-2016, 11:27 AM
Received 35 Likes on 34 Posts

I've had a "utility" vehicle since 1972 but then I've always needed a tow vehicle (in the reviews I saw they do not mention towing). First was a '72 GTO Wagon that won tow car races. Then I had a '92 Pontiac TranSport, and now a '12 Jeep GC (see a pattern ? Tend to keep ones I like).

Suspect this is more FIAT than Merc. but the 3.6 Pentastar is one of the world's best engines (am biased). Sounds like they have mated the Grand Cherokee engine to the Cherokee (not so grand) drivetrain (9-speed FWD). This means the AWD should be available also.

Since the T&C was only rated for a Class II hitch and 3600 lb trailer I suspect this is not a need for you.

That said it sounds like a very good people mover that starts at $30k and you can probably double that with options.

ps Chrysler offers a "lifetime" Maxcare or Added Care Plus service contract if you plan to keep for a while. Mine is good until 2099 or a million miles. Good to have if you tend to keep cars but make sure it is the one through Chrysler - are many imitators.

Last edited by Padgett; 01-23-2016 at 11:29 AM.
Old 01-23-2016, 06:42 PM
Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by 4drturbo
Makes sense they are badging it as a Pacifica. I see older ones all over the road out here. They stick out due to that similar grille.
+1. I always see my Chrysler cousins

Old 01-23-2016, 07:55 PM

Originally Posted by Padgett
I've had a "utility" vehicle since 1972 but then I've always needed a tow vehicle (in the reviews I saw they do not mention towing). First was a '72 GTO Wagon that won tow car races. Then I had a '92 Pontiac TranSport, and now a '12 Jeep GC (see a pattern ? Tend to keep ones I like).

Suspect this is more FIAT than Merc. but the 3.6 Pentastar is one of the world's best engines (am biased). Sounds like they have mated the Grand Cherokee engine to the Cherokee (not so grand) drivetrain (9-speed FWD). This means the AWD should be available also.

Since the T&C was only rated for a Class II hitch and 3600 lb trailer I suspect this is not a need for you.

That said it sounds like a very good people mover that starts at $30k and you can probably double that with options.

ps Chrysler offers a "lifetime" Maxcare or Added Care Plus service contract if you plan to keep for a while. Mine is good until 2099 or a million miles. Good to have if you tend to keep cars but make sure it is the one through Chrysler - are many imitators.

While we have a trailer package on the 99 Grand Caravan, we seldom tow with it. I do have a '95 Dodge one ton with a Cummins , manual Tranny and dualies. Is that serious enough?

So far, I'm not seeing much Fiat in the new Pacifica. I get to see one for real next week.

What is odd would be that Fiat said there would never be another Pacifica. That was a Daimler label and Fiat vowed it would never reprise a Diameter brand. I guess they got over it.

Could we possibly see another Crossfire?

Last edited by Franc Rauscher; 01-29-2016 at 06:41 PM.
Old 01-23-2016, 10:40 PM
Received 35 Likes on 34 Posts

"Could we possibly see another Crossfire? "

Sure but it would look like a 4C.

Old 01-29-2016, 06:39 PM

I received this thoughtful post from Harbor.

A ?Paradigm Shift? for minivans ? 2017 Chrysler Pacifica - Business Insider#

Worth a read if you are interested in the Pacifica.

Appears the concept is not a retread of old designs or platforms but a new ground up creation.

I will see it for real this week end.

Old 01-29-2016, 08:28 PM

Originally Posted by Franc Rauscher
I received this thoughtful post from Harbor.

A ?Paradigm Shift? for minivans ? 2017 Chrysler Pacifica - Business Insider#

Worth a read if you are interested in the Pacifica.

Appears the concept is not a retread of old designs or platforms but a new ground up creation.

I will see it for real this week end.
Don't forget to check out the 124 Spider. Note the Crossfire reference in this article:
Meet Fiat's 124 Spider, Italy's MX-5-based answer to the MX-5 | Top Gear

Old 01-30-2016, 08:21 PM

Don't forget to check out the 124 Spider. Note the Crossfire reference in this article:
Meet Fiat's 124 Spider, Italy's MX-5-based answer to the MX-5 | Top Gear

Had a rough time at the plant today. My son flew in from CT to help us with a packaging machine rebuild. This was checkout and final assembly. It was supposed to last until 4:00 and then we were all going downtown to the Auto show.

Crap hit the ventilator when he uncovered a bunch of shoddy work. Glad I don't work for him. WOW!
He gave the team two weeks to do it all over again. And they thought I was an @ss to work for.

Long story short we will be back at it in the morning, his plane leaves later in the day and we won't have any time for the show. So no drooling over the Fiat spider or the Pacifica. much less the babes holding down the engine bay hoods.

Last edited by Franc Rauscher; 01-30-2016 at 08:24 PM.
Old 01-31-2016, 08:56 AM
Received 13 Likes on 10 Posts
Old 02-18-2016, 07:32 AM

From AllPar.....

News | The case for, and against, an electric Pacifica

Old 02-22-2016, 07:47 AM
Forum Regular
Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Since I'm keeping the srt6 roadster, I'm looking for a vehicle for everything else. So, here's my wish list for the travel genie in 5 years. A Chrysler Pacifica plug in electric with class 5 auto pilot so when my wife and I are in our 70 - 80's we can use it to sleep on our sleep number bed in the back while it drives us places during the night.