Other Cars The Crossfire isn't the only car out there. Discuss all the others in here.

Can You Identify theses 2 Cars?

Old 05-28-2014, 11:12 AM
Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
Default Re: Can You Identify theses 2 Cars?

Originally Posted by onehundred80
All of the AMC line were crap. Cars made from cheap parts that rusted away as you looked at them.
OK Dave, now can you name me one American built car that didn't have rust problems in one area or another?
Certain body designs, and different models in all makes of cars rusted out at different times. I know of no car that was designed perfectly, or in such a way that it didn't trap road debris and silt in one area or another that eventually promoted early corrosion to start.
AMC's didn't rust out any faster (or slower) than Fords, Mopars, or GM's. They were built using the same "steel" every other "American" manufacturer used.
Being familiar with AMC, I'm aware of certain problem areas to pay special attention to, the very same way Mopar enthuusiast's, Ford follower's, or GM lovers do about their cars of choice. Or even (I dare say) CROSSFIRE owners as well.

What I really find ironic with your accusation is that you specifically said AMC used cheap parts. Most AMC "haters" usually say AMC's were nothing more than a accumulation of parts from other manufacturers. If that were true, then I guess that would pretty much let AMC off the hook, wouldn't it?

Old 05-28-2014, 10:07 PM
Received 543 Likes on 459 Posts

Originally Posted by +fireamx
OK Dave, now can you name me one American built car that didn't have rust problems in one area or another?
Certain body designs, and different models in all makes of cars rusted out at different times. I know of no car that was designed perfectly, or in such a way that it didn't trap road debris and silt in one area or another that eventually promoted early corrosion to start.
AMC's didn't rust out any faster (or slower) than Fords, Mopars, or GM's. They were built using the same "steel" every other "American" manufacturer used.
Being familiar with AMC, I'm aware of certain problem areas to pay special attention to, the very same way Mopar enthuusiast's, Ford follower's, or GM lovers do about their cars of choice. Or even (I dare say) CROSSFIRE owners as well.

What I really find ironic with your accusation is that you specifically said AMC used cheap parts. Most AMC "haters" usually say AMC's were nothing more than a accumulation of parts from other manufacturers. If that were true, then I guess that would pretty much let AMC off the hook, wouldn't it?
Well, no I cannot name one car of that age that failed to rust as you looked at it.
As a way of saying sorry to those I upset, this post appeared on the other forum that has the bad luck of me watching.

Old 05-29-2014, 06:28 AM
Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts

AMC vs. Anglia,prefect,austin,Morris Minor,MG,Vaxhall??? Must be a Englishman. Lorne

Old 05-29-2014, 09:29 AM
Received 543 Likes on 459 Posts

Originally Posted by lorne
AMC vs. Anglia,prefect,austin,Morris Minor,MG,Vaxhall??? Must be a Englishman. Lorne
They were crap as well, many even worse.
Only those cars made since the improvements in anti rust protection from the factory are any good in this regard, the rest just fell apart due to salt and dampness. While the mechanical parts were fine it hurt to throw away your car because it is was now faster because half of the body and frame have been left behind over time.

Old 05-29-2014, 02:55 PM
Received 35 Likes on 34 Posts

a) Rust is more positional than by design. Part of the reason I selected Orlando is because rust has to be imported. I have sold a number of cars on photographs of the undercarriage.
b) In 1970 when I returned from SEA the AMX was one of the cars I considerered but just could not take the interior.
c) Later I repaired a lot of AC Delco hood tachs from Rebel Machines. AMC had trouble making a nice dash & had to buy add-ons.. Of course you could say the same about a Studebaker Starlight Coupe.
d) Do think the '66 Rambler Amreican coupe was a greatly underrated car.

Old 05-29-2014, 09:41 PM

industry firsts[edit]
The AMX was not only sporty and attractive, but it introduced many industry firsts.[20]

The American Society of Automotive Engineers named the AMX as the "Best Engineered Car of the Year" in 1969 and 1970.[21]

For 1968, its first year recognition, the reasons cited included the car’s dashboard, which was injection-molded in one piece "for safety purposes, an industry first."[20] The AMX's new 390 engine was developed to have a large displacement within its minimal external dimensions and moderate weight, while the use of common components and machining with AMC's 290 and 343 engines assured manufacturing economy.[22] The 1968 models also included an innovative fiberglass safety padding, a "plastic" on the inside of the windshield posts that was first used on the AMC Javelins.

For the following year's award, the citation included the 1970 AMXs (and Javelins) being the first production cars to use windshields that were safer, thinner, and lighter than ordinary laminated glass.[23] Developed by Corning, the glass featured a chemically hardened layer designed to give under impact and crumble into small granules to reduce injuries.[24] The inner layer has "stress raisers that will cause it to break before excessively high concussion forces can be developed in the occupant's skull."[25]

American Motors also incorporated new designs for windshield sealing for the 1970 models, and developed a systems solutions process that began in the styling studio to insure maximum efficiency.[26]

Well Padgett, it looks like "The American Society of Automotive Engineers" didn't share your lack of enthusiiasm for the AMX's dash board.
If rust is more positional than by design, why is it some cars rust out in one location, and another make may never rust in the same location? (Even in Florida).
If memory servers, didn't the Rebel Machine use the very same AC Delco Tach that Pontiac used? I didn't know Pontiac had to resort to add-ons because they had trouble making a nice dash. I always liked the dash board in the 1969 GP.
I completely agree, the Rambler American "V8" was greatly underrated, and over looked. Where as the 6 cylinder model almost always won its class in the Mobil Economy Run, so at least it received some recognition.

Old 06-01-2014, 10:17 AM
Received 35 Likes on 34 Posts

a) Pontiac didn't, said AMC needed help with the AMX interior & reason I didn't buy an AMX when returned from SEA.
b) GTO had a lot of firsts but was always available with full instrumentation
- hood tach in '67
- soft body color bumprer (endura) in '68
- formula (soft/thick) steering wheel in '70
- my '70 does need a few things, already has a 4-speed and AC but adding HFT and BlueTooth.
c) This century I have become more of a MOPAR fan.

Old 06-01-2014, 07:17 PM
Received 20 Likes on 18 Posts

I was an AMX fan as well. One of my friends painted his to match the grand am car and he held his own in the 1/4 mile with most of us running larger motors. He slipped off the road one night while drag racing and rolled the car several times. He walked away...roll cage saved his butt.

Old 01-01-2015, 10:13 PM

AMX Over the parts counter potential, in other words, the "SRT" Version.

Attached Images
File Type: jpg
SSDIBBOpg3_zpseed5ec03.jpg (201.0 KB, 76 views)
SSDICover_zps31a21a81.jpg (124.8 KB, 73 views)
SSDIBBOpg2_zpsaced9ffc.jpg (165.7 KB, 73 views)
SSDIBBOpg1_zps292a4508.jpg (189.2 KB, 74 views)

Last edited by +fireamx; 01-01-2015 at 10:26 PM.