Other Vehicles The place to talk about watercraft, boats, trains, planes and anything with an engine that isn't a car.

Rental Car Reviews

Old 11-09-2007, 05:43 AM
RPM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Rental Car Reviews

It appears that many of us rent cars on a regular basis for work or otherwise.
I was thinking this week that we should start a thread about experiences with different rental cars we get. This way, if someone is considering purchasing a vehicle, they could come here, see if someone has driven one, and get a review.

2007 Pontiac G6 GT Sedan
A few weeks ago my rental was a G6 with ~18,000 miles. When the G6 first came out, I kind of liked the styling, but not so much now.

My rental was blue w/black cloth interior, nice 5 spoke wheels, and had a small trunk lid spoiler. It had the 3.5L V6 with 219hp and 219 lb. ft. tq.
I drove it ~200 miles in one day. The interior was abundant with low grade plastic and a few non-matching aluminum look finishes.

The G6 was easy to drive and park and visibilty was very good all around. The trunk was also fairly large in size.

My 2001 Accord has the 3.0L V6 with 200hp and 195 lb. ft. tq. and it seems to have a good bit more power than the G6 I drove.

Pros: Visibility was good. Gas mileage was pretty good. Easy to drive.
Cons: Fit and finish was below par. Seats were uncomfortable. Lack of power.

2008 Ford Edge
This week my rental was a new Ford Edge SEL (FWD) with 13,000 miles. It was the rust/red color with black leather interior. It had the 3.5L V6 with 265hp and 250 lb. ft. tq.

I was somewhat excited about getting to try out an Edge. I see a lot of them on the road and the styling is definitely different. The chrome tipped dual tail pipes are a nice touch.
Inside, the fit and finish was pretty good. The plastic was nice looking, but there were a lot of seam lines. I believe the top of the dash was a mesh of 3 or 4 different pieces, which seemed odd to me.
The Edge also had 2 or 3 different aluminum finishes inside (i.e. the center console, the gauges, etc. were all different).

There was a good bit of room inside and the cargo area was also pretty big. It though it had power folding rear seats, but not really. In the hatch, there are seat folding buttons, but when you hit them, the seats just fall down. It is more of a release, and you have to manually put them back into place.

The front headrest was very uncomfortable too. It is angled but does not tilt, it only goes up or down. I could not find a comfortable place to put it, it always hit me in the back of the head no matter where I put it.
One missing feature that I have grown accustomed to was a dash gear display. Usually (like in the Crossfire) newer cars have a gear display with the gauges, the Edge did not. Seemed odd to me. All my personal cars have this feature.

I drove the car for 260 miles in one day and averaged 20 MPG (not as good as I expected since it was almost all highway).
The rear window in the Edge is VERY small. It felt almost like driving my SRT6 Roadster with the top up.

The ride was very loud as well. Not only do you feel every bump in the road, but you hear it too. I also experienced a loud whistling sound under throttle. Not sure if it is the exhaust or what, but it was quite annoying.
The Edge also creaked a lot for a new car.

Overall I was not overly impressed with driving the Edge. My 2005 4Runner is 4WD, has the 4.0L wth 245hp and 282 lb. ft. tq. and I average between 20 and 21 MPG. I expected the Edge (Crossover) to ride better and get better MPG than my 4Runner (SUV), but it did not. My passenger has a 2000 Chevy Blazer and said the Edge was louder and rougher than his SUV as well.

Pros: Styling (exterior and interior). Power. Fairly easy to drive.
Cons: Rear visibility. Interior creaking. Road noise and feel.

Old 11-09-2007, 10:28 AM
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Default Re: Rental Car Reviews

(Oppinion Changed)

Last edited by Sidez; 03-16-2008 at 02:26 AM.
Old 01-21-2008, 04:26 PM
Forum Regular
Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
Default Re: Rental Car Reviews

Pontiac grand prix
Pretty nice, peppy, but no e-brake handle just bedal

07 accord
worst car EVER

elaberate more later.