Other Vehicles The place to talk about watercraft, boats, trains, planes and anything with an engine that isn't a car.

Toyota quality?

Old 04-09-2008, 09:59 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Toyota quality?

So much for Toyota's quality!

WASHINGTON - Toyota Motor Corp. is recalling 539,500 Corolla and Matrix passenger cars in the United States because the bolts in the power window system can become loose and ultimately cause a window to shatter.

Old 04-09-2008, 10:16 AM
Administrator / Senior Member
Received 451 Likes on 318 Posts
Default Re: Toyota quality?

Better posted here
https://www.crossfireforum.org/forum...splay.php?f=58

Old 04-09-2008, 11:13 AM

Originally Posted by VALKRYDERGUY

how do I move it?

Old 04-09-2008, 11:35 AM
Administrator / Senior Member
Received 451 Likes on 318 Posts

Originally Posted by fyrepower
how do I move it?
Only the moderator for the "coupe forum" can do this.
It's not really a issue I just was pointing out a better section to put it in.
I have to much free time on my hands right now LOL

Old 04-09-2008, 07:40 PM
Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

Toyota quality - bah!!

Have a look at http://www.autorecalls.us/aut-01/rec...ota/index.html - they've had plenty of recalls on all sorts of models for all kinds of reasons. No doubt their overall quality has slipped in recent years, but so has Mercedes Benz (read forums on the recently replaced C-Class cars - shocking!) but for the vast majority Toyotas are just appliances. Fitting then that they'd build the xB under thier Scion brand - it's a refrigerator on wheels. Toyota makes the most boring cars on the planet - by a long shot. Of course, every time I mention this in a group someone pipes up with "what about the Supra, what about the MR2?!?!" Yeah, last I checked, Toyota doesn't make those any more!! Geez, even their Formula 1 team makes boring cars!!

Car guys don't buy Toyotas.

Old 04-09-2008, 08:14 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Mike-in-Orange
Toyota quality - bah!!

Have a look at http://www.autorecalls.us/aut-01/rec...ota/index.html - they've had plenty of recalls on all sorts of models for all kinds of reasons. No doubt their overall quality has slipped in recent years, but so has Mercedes Benz (read forums on the recently replaced C-Class cars - shocking!) but for the vast majority Toyotas are just appliances. Fitting then that they'd build the xB under thier Scion brand - it's a refrigerator on wheels. Toyota makes the most boring cars on the planet - by a long shot. Of course, every time I mention this in a group someone pipes up with "what about the Supra, what about the MR2?!?!" Yeah, last I checked, Toyota doesn't make those any more!! Geez, even their Formula 1 team makes boring cars!!

Car guys don't buy Toyotas.
Yes they do!

Old 04-14-2008, 08:17 AM
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I'm trading in my 2000 silverado for the big **** Toyota pick-up, with 4 cam 5.7L v8, I don't see GM bolting in Northstars into thier truck line. so I'm going with a toyota.

yet I have to agree, toyota cars are really *****, and have a strange jerriatric (spelling) appeal to them.

Last edited by RPM; 04-14-2008 at 08:46 AM.
Old 04-14-2008, 11:00 AM

Aren't all new Toyotas either White, Beige, Silver, Light Blue or Gray? You never see a Toyota in a good color. Just old man tan, geezer gold, senior silver etc. There is not a single Toyota product that i would go look at for any reason. I stopped acknowledging their existance several years ago when all their fun cars went to the grave yard.

Old 04-15-2008, 10:32 AM

Originally Posted by Maxwell
I'm trading in my 2000 silverado for the big **** Toyota pick-up, with 4 cam 5.7L v8, I don't see GM bolting in Northstars into thier truck line. so I'm going with a toyota.

yet I have to agree, toyota cars are really *****, and have a strange jerriatric (spelling) appeal to them.
I dont know about those 5.7 L pickups i have a friend who bought one, a relative and 2 customers and 3 of them suffered from snapped camshafts.

I still think those trucks are hugely badass though.

Justin

Old 04-15-2008, 08:46 PM

Originally Posted by sonoronos
Yes they do!
Yeah, that Avalon just looks like a ton of fun. But I'm torn between the great driving dynamics of it compared to the extreme performance of the Camry. Or a tuner Corolla.

Seriously, Toyota doesn't make a single car that generates any level of emotion, whether aesthically, dynamically or otherwise. Across the board they are the appliances of the auto industry. And I just can't get excited about a pickup truck, no matter who makes it.

Old 10-07-2008, 01:38 PM

Well stated--

From a Sports car point of view.

Yes I am sure that some one still driving a plain reliable 92 will have good things to say, as they should, but that does not make me turn around when I see one and say "Cool".
On a personal point-- I do not feel that the Toyota's of today have any where near the quality that most people associate with them.

Last edited by lesr; 10-07-2008 at 03:55 PM.
Old 10-07-2008, 01:52 PM

Originally Posted by lesr
On a personal point-- I am do not feel that the Toyota's of today have any where near the quality that most people associated with them.
I happen to share that personal view. I was talking to a guy a few weeks ago about overall vehicle quality and when I mentioned that I drove a PT Cruiser he said that Chrysler's were crap quality and why would I buy such a thing. As the conversation progressed he seemed quite pleased that his Toyota had only needed to go back to the dealer 6 times in 3 years. I pressed him on this - he wasn't talking about routine maintenance here, he was talking about fixing various problems that have come up. He was genuinely impressed with that level of quality. He ran out of things to say when I told him, quite honestly, that in the almost 5 years I've owned the PT it has been back to the dealer once - and that was only because I stopped in to pick up some touch up paint because I wanted to paint the engine vanity cover to match the exterior color. Otherwise, as far as problems go on my crappy Chrysler product - ZERO. And that's one less problem than I had on the Dodge I owned before it. Now add my Crossfire to the mix and I've got 3 Crappy Chrylsers with one problem area to report in 9 years, and he's got one Perfect Toyota with 6 problem areas in 3 years. Guess he has a different definition of quality.

Old 10-07-2008, 03:59 PM
Forum Regular

I happen to share that personal view. I was talking to a guy a few weeks ago about overall vehicle quality and when I mentioned that I drove a PT Cruiser he said that Chrysler's were crap quality and why would I buy such a thing. As the conversation progressed he seemed quite pleased that his Toyota had only needed to go back to the dealer 6 times in 3 years. I pressed him on this - he wasn't talking about routine maintenance here, he was talking about fixing various problems that have come up. He was genuinely impressed with that level of quality. He ran out of things to say when I told him, quite honestly, that in the almost 5 years I've owned the PT it has been back to the dealer once - and that was only because I stopped in to pick up some touch up paint because I wanted to paint the engine vanity cover to match the exterior color. Otherwise, as far as problems go on my crappy Chrysler product - ZERO. And that's one less problem than I had on the Dodge I owned before it. Now add my Crossfire to the mix and I've got 3 Crappy Chrylsers with one problem area to report in 9 years, and he's got one Perfect Toyota with 6 problem areas in 3 years. Guess he has a different definition of quality.
I've had many Chrysler products, and i've never had any problems. I couple here or there that the dealer fixed under warranty, but very reliable transportation to say the least.

Toyota quality has actually been declining for years, and now their famous quality is mostly perception. I'll stick with the Mopars.

Old 10-07-2008, 04:41 PM
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

The corolla/matrix recall is a direct response to the GM recall on the Vibe because of the similar design.

As for other recalls..... MBUSA recalled every single car equipped with the 112/113/and 272 engines for an idler pulley that could shatter. Every auto manufacture has its problems, the key is to get a recall out before it hurts someone.

Old 10-07-2008, 06:52 PM
Life is random...so am I.

Given that we are in the age of "global manufacturing" it's no surprise that any auto manufacturer has recalls.

Cars aren't built like they were in the old days ladies and gentlemen. Now they are just a collection of tier 2 and 3 supplier sub-assemblies that are assembled in one place. It's simply more economical to the manufacturers to buy their parts from specialty manufacturers. Lear for seats, Valeo for chassis electrical components, Denso for modules, Takata for airbags, etc. etc.

You might be surprised at what other cars share the same parts as yours!

Old 10-28-2008, 06:15 PM
Forum Regular

I own...(and when I say "I own"...I mean my name is on the title...but that's about it)...a Toyota Yaris. It's just a funny little car that gets 35mpg in city and costs VERY little to drive. It's "techincally" my girlfriend's car. My Crossfire and my Yaris are LITERALLY Black and White in just about everything. No problems with the Yaris yet though (7k miles) and the Crossfire is currently in the shop... .

Crossfire (Color: Black)
18" - 19" wheels/tires ($350+ per tire)
20MPG
320 HP

Yaris (Color: White)
14" wheels/tires ($50 per tire)
35MPG
maybe 97 HP on a good day...

Last edited by satellite; 10-28-2008 at 06:18 PM.
Old 10-28-2008, 09:41 PM
Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by apkano
Given that we are in the age of "global manufacturing" it's no surprise that any auto manufacturer has recalls.
Cars aren't built like they were in the old days ladies and gentlemen. Now they are just a collection of tier 2 and 3 supplier sub-assemblies that are assembled in one place. It's simply more economical to the manufacturers to buy their parts from specialty manufacturers. Lear for seats, Valeo for chassis electrical components, Denso for modules, Takata for airbags, etc. etc.
You might be surprised at what other cars share the same parts as yours!
And people use to criticize American Motors for using Chrysler Tranmissions, GM Distributers, and Ford Carburators.
I guess they must have been way ahead of the "learning curve" for their time.

Old 11-06-2008, 03:45 PM
Received 197 Likes on 151 Posts

Originally Posted by +fireamx
And people use to criticize American Motors for using Chrysler Tranmissions, GM Distributers, and Ford Carburators.
I guess they must have been way ahead of the "learning curve" for their time.
---------------------------X2-------------------------------

Old 11-08-2008, 04:15 PM

Yeah, that Avalon just looks like a ton of fun. But I'm torn between the great driving dynamics of it compared to the extreme performance of the Camry. Or a tuner Corolla.
Don't forget the passionate styling of the toyota matrix. And the barely street legal 1.3L engine in the yaris.

Originally Posted by mike-in-orange
Seriously, Toyota doesn't make a single car that generates any level of emotion, whether aesthically, dynamically or otherwise. Across the board they are the appliances of the auto industry.
Toyotas are eminently practical. I trust a guy who commutes to work in a toyota over a guy who commutes in any car that uhh...generates emotion.

Here in DC i see guys stuck in rush hour traffic with Ferrari F430's. Let me tell ya something, the first thing that comes to my mind sitting behind the schlub is not, "wow that guy is a real car guy." not by a long shot! The only emotion that guy is generating is pity.