Other Vehicles The place to talk about watercraft, boats, trains, planes and anything with an engine that isn't a car.

P51 North American Mustang

Old 04-25-2008, 08:22 AM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default P51 North American Mustang

Lee Lauderback flies the demo from the "Horsemen Routine". This is one of two dual control Mustangs based in Kissimmee Fl. for the right price, YOU can fly the back seat !

http://www.airshowbuzz.com/videos/view.php?v=baccdea1

Enjoy !

Last edited by Stogey; 04-25-2008 at 09:53 AM.
Old 04-25-2008, 09:00 AM
Forum Regular
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Re: P51 North American Mustang

Mustangs are the coolest!

Old 04-26-2008, 08:34 AM
Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Mustangs were/are beautiful war birds, no doubt about it. But I've always been sort of a Corsair kind of guy myself. But since I live in Akron Ohio (where they built them) may have something to do with it.

Old 04-26-2008, 09:20 AM
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Mustangs are alright, but I like the Folk Wolf aircraft best. They where built like tanks and the crazy German pilots where known for slicing the tails off of the B-52's with the leading edge of their' wings. Now that's an aircraft

Attached Images
File Type: jpg
fw.jpg (46.0 KB, 10 views)
Old 04-26-2008, 11:23 PM

B-52s?

My post is too short for posting so I must add to it.

Old 04-27-2008, 09:40 AM

should get a subsrciption to air and space, I thnk they had an article in there about 6 months ago, describing how Luffwaffe pilots would climb up high, then dive in fast and wack through bombers' fusalage. I think they even had the 109's built special with a reinforced leading edge

This was pretty much the safest way to take out a heavy bomber because they where so well protected with cannons every where. Cant really sneak up from behind and shoot them down now could you. had to be fast and brutal. this is probably why there where so few fighter pilots and hardly any aces left over at the end of ww2, all the crazy pilots didn't live very long

Last edited by Maxwell; 04-27-2008 at 09:44 AM.
Old 04-27-2008, 09:54 AM

Originally Posted by Brent
B-52s?
oops, sorry meant to say B-17s and B-24s

here's how it's done.

Attached Images
File Type: jpg
B17.jpg (246.1 KB, 10 views)

Last edited by Maxwell; 04-27-2008 at 09:56 AM.
Old 04-27-2008, 10:50 AM

I am a real pilot (AT pilot)
But my favorite plane in WWII - is Spitfire
And of course MiG-3

Old 04-27-2008, 11:13 AM
Forum Regular

They all had their purpose, Corsairs, Thunderbolts, P-38s (another favorite), but when Mustangs started showing up over the skies of Germany - the war was over!!!!

Old 04-27-2008, 12:16 PM

You mean - war was over cause mustangs were showing?

ps

Vermacht soldiers had a joke at the end of war:
When you see a cam paint planes - its RAF, when aluminium - its USAF, when theres no planes - ITS LUFTWAFFE!

Last edited by Reactivator; 04-27-2008 at 12:20 PM.
Old 04-27-2008, 12:23 PM
Forum Regular

Mustangs prevented the Luftwaffe from shooting down the bombers which wiped out the industrial and rail infrastructure...

Old 04-27-2008, 12:26 PM

I think that B17 - made more AA kils, than p51 (A lot of guns)

Old 04-27-2008, 01:09 PM

I have several favorites, the P-38, the F-4, P-51 and the B-17 to name just a few.
I just think it's pretty awesome to still see some of them flying. A small contingent of the ole Confederate Air Force Texas Wing, are based just down the road in San Marcos. Once in awhile on the weekend you can hear the distinct sound of the big radial engines flyin overhead.
I would love to be lucky enough to fly one, but the price for a back seat ride is a lil outta my budget considering gas will probably hit $ 4 bucko's a gallon this summer.

Hope you enjoyed the video !

Just my Dos Centavos !

Old 04-27-2008, 02:16 PM

Maxwell -

I don't think the Germans ever strengthend their planes to survive slicing into a bomber by ramming. Their aircraft structures just weren't designed to take that kind of an impact. What the Germans did do was add additional armor to their planes so the planes and pilots could survive long enough to shoot down a bomber before being shot down themselves. They also had a unit or two dedicated to ramming bombers, much like a Japanese kamakazi. The pilots were either very patriotic or assigned to the units after falling out of favor.

Gibsonjunkie -

By the time the P-51 was operating in large numbers German pilot training and overall experience was in decline. So although it looked like the P-51 was the main cause of the defeat of the German airforce it was more like the perverbrial nail in the coffin.

The success of the industrial raids were generally questionable since they failed to stop or even slow down German production. This is borne out by production increasing substantially during extensive bombing raids. Some historians do think that the destruction of the infrastructure was the main reason for the collapse of the German industrial system. Others think that the destruction of the fuel/refinery infrastructure was the main cause. This is an item that's sure to be debated many years from now. Regardless, it's the soldier on the ground that wins wars and the Germans were doomed the moment they invaded Russia.

Quiz Time:

A. The P-51 was designed in 120 days to meet a British proposal for fighter.
B. The German Messerschmitt (yea, I looked up the spelling) jet, the 262, could have been in use in 1943 - sweeping the allies from German skies - except Hitler delayed it's use by insisting it be configured as a bomber.
C. Charles Lindbergh was the first person to fly the Atlantic.

What do the above statements have in common?

Old 04-27-2008, 02:17 PM

Forgot one,

Stogey, what do you mean by gas hitting $4 a gallon by summer? I'm paying that now!

Old 04-28-2008, 04:00 AM

Forgot one,

Stogey, what do you mean by gas hitting $4 a gallon by summer? I'm paying that now!
I live in Texas about 200 miles from some of the largest oil refineries in the world. Not sure, but I think that may have something to do with the prices here.

Just my Dos Centavos !

Old 04-28-2008, 12:33 PM

not like I was there, but it was printed in Air & Space Magazine, which has a pretty good reputation with facts

Maxwell -

I don't think the Germans ever strengthend their planes to survive slicing into a bomber by ramming. Their aircraft structures just weren't designed to take that kind of an impact. What the Germans did do was add additional armor to their planes so the planes and pilots could survive long enough to shoot down a bomber before being shot down themselves. They also had a unit or two dedicated to ramming bombers, much like a Japanese kamakazi. The pilots were either very patriotic or assigned to the units after falling out of favor.
?

Old 04-28-2008, 03:30 PM

Originally Posted by Maxwell
should get a subsrciption to air and space, I thnk they had an article in there about 6 months ago, describing how Luffwaffe pilots would climb up high, then dive in fast and wack through bombers' fusalage. I think they even had the 109's built special with a reinforced leading edge

This was pretty much the safest way to take out a heavy bomber because they where so well protected with cannons every where. Cant really sneak up from behind and shoot them down now could you. had to be fast and brutal. this is probably why there where so few fighter pilots and hardly any aces left over at the end of ww2, all the crazy pilots didn't live very long
"There are old pilots and bold pilots but no old bold pilots."

Author Unknown

Old 04-28-2008, 05:15 PM

Originally Posted by crossbowme
"There are old pilots and bold pilots but no old bold pilots."

Author Unknown
you got that right!

Old 04-28-2008, 06:33 PM

Originally Posted by Maxwell
not like I was there, but it was printed in Air & Space Magazine, which has a pretty good reputation with facts
Methinks Air & Space made an error. Northrop developed a jet that could ram an ircraft and survive but this was designed from the start to survive ramming. It becomes much more difficult to retrofit an airplane to survive ramming. Just to demonstrate how often and consistent the media can be wrong, take the little quiz I wrote earlier.

Quick Reply: P51 North American Mustang