Other Vehicles The place to talk about watercraft, boats, trains, planes and anything with an engine that isn't a car.

Emma Maersk

Old 07-05-2008, 07:04 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Emma Maersk

The EMMA MAERSK, largest ship ever built, more than 1300 ft long, carries 15,000 TEU (containers), cruises at 31 knots with a crew of 13.
http://www.google.com/imgres?imgurl=...&ct=image&cd=1

UNBELEEBUBEL....

http://www.jtashipphoto.dk/jtashipph...mma_maersk.htm

John P
FTroopChief

Old 07-05-2008, 09:54 PM
Default Re: Emma Maersk

A crew of 13?! We had that many people in the sonar gang alone on the navy ships I was on. This reminds me of a story about ship and crew size. When a navy ship pulls in to a South Pacific island and 400 crew members depart from a 500 foot ship, the natives are impressed. Then they see a 1000 foot container ship or maybe a tanker pulling in and think that the crew must number in the thousands. The natives are absolutely astounded and baffled when they find out that there are only forty crew members on board.

Old 07-06-2008, 02:19 PM
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by FTroopChief
The EMMA MAERSK, largest ship ever built, more than 1300 ft long, carries 15,000 TEU (containers), cruises at 31 knots with a crew of 13.
Actually....largest container ship.
Comparing sizes The Emma Maersk in fourth in size.
The largest goes to the "Knock Nevis" supertanker, about 200fy longer.

Old 07-08-2008, 11:53 AM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I actually work for Maersk. I got to go to the Odense Steelyard in Denmark where the Emma Maersk was built... It was an incredible sight to see the underpinnings of the largest post-panamax ship ever built. there are actually more being built right now. The Emma Maersk is in fact the largest ship in the world currently in service. The knock nevis has been out of service for a few years and is being used as a floatigng warehouse in dubai....

edit: interesting fact for those who care. Maersk actually only rate the Emma Maersk at 11,000 TEU's (twenty-foot equivalent unit). Maersk actually rates the TEU load based on the number of 14 ton containers that can be carried on the vessel. Basically how many 28,000lbs loaded conatiners cant the ship hold. This is different from most other people who measure the number of TEU's a ship can carry base on the actually available space...Which is always higher than Maersk's method for measuring.

Last edited by ZAHANMA; 07-08-2008 at 12:17 PM.
Old 07-08-2008, 06:47 PM

Did you get any pictures?

Old 07-08-2008, 07:56 PM

I did, but who knows where they are... I have a bunch of SD cards that i categorize my photos on... I'll have to search... i guess i should put them all on my external hard drive... im dumb. haha, we got there in the early stages, before there was a big fire in the infrastructure...after that, as far as i know there was no unecessary personnel on site for safety... ill have to look for those pictures and get back when i get a chance...

Old 07-08-2008, 08:19 PM

Thanks, I'd appreciate that.

This is not quite the same thing but three years ago a friend and I watched the launching of the Lewis and Clark, the lead ship in a new line of supply ships for the navy. What really surprised me was how quiet the ship slid down the slipway into the sea. I'd thought there would be all kinds of groaning and squealing (maybe that's why ships are called she ) but there really wasn't any noise at all. If anyone is interested I can dig those pictures up.

Old 07-28-2008, 08:52 PM

Sorry I haven't checked back on the subject in a while for those (if any) of you that were watching this thread. I actually was up in NJ last week at Port Elizabeth. There were two Maersk ships in port, though the names escape me. Neither were S-Class or PS-class (side note: the Emma Maersk is a PS-Class). At the port, especially Port Elizabeth, they allow NO photography, for security reasons. I'll try and get some new pictures when I head to Denmark (Corporate Headquarters) next month. Here is something to bide you until then...

It is a lego Maersk ship. I am going to pick up at least one when I am in Denmark. I'm a nerd like that.

Side note: I have been in the process of moving to Chicago to take over some client development things. So everything I own except my clothes are in transit to here. I'll try to find them shortly after my hhgds show up.

Hope people still are interested, I know shipping in general has always kept me on my toes and I love sharing the information with whoever wants to know. I'll field any questions on the topic for those interested.

Old 07-29-2008, 07:46 AM

Originally Posted by ZAHANMA
I actually work for Maersk. I got to go to the Odense Steelyard in Denmark where the Emma Maersk was built... It was an incredible sight to see the underpinnings of the largest post-panamax ship ever built. there are actually more being built right now. The Emma Maersk is in fact the largest ship in the world currently in service. The knock nevis has been out of service for a few years and is being used as a floatigng warehouse in dubai....

edit: interesting fact for those who care. Maersk actually only rate the Emma Maersk at 11,000 TEU's (twenty-foot equivalent unit). Maersk actually rates the TEU load based on the number of 14 ton containers that can be carried on the vessel. Basically how many 28,000lbs loaded conatiners cant the ship hold. This is different from most other people who measure the number of TEU's a ship can carry base on the actually available space...Which is always higher than Maersk's method for measuring.
interesting stuff!