Other Vehicles The place to talk about watercraft, boats, trains, planes and anything with an engine that isn't a car.

What is the diiference between a MOTOR and an ENGINE

Old 10-06-2008, 09:47 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Lightbulb What is the diiference between a MOTOR and an ENGINE

What is the difference betwen a motor and an engine? I am from the unpolitically correct era when things were called what they were. Some where along the way in a few short decades. and fewer generations our language has has become so convoluted as to distort the meanings of thousands of words. Why? Does it only matter what the definition of is, IS?

John P
FTroopChief

Old 10-07-2008, 01:22 AM
Forum Regular
Default Re: What is the diiference between a MOTOR and an ENGINE

I think it’s historical. The word "engine" is used in the context of moving parts and Victorian innovation. From Wikipedia:

Originally an engine was a mechanical device that converted force into motion. Military devices such as catapults are referred to as siege engines. The term "gin" as in cotton gin is recognised as a short form of the Old French word engin, in turn from the Latin ingenium, related to ingenious. Most devices used in the industrial revolution were referred to as an engine, and this is where the steam engine gained its name.
In more modern usage, the term is used to describe devices that perform mechanical work, follow-ons to the original steam engine. In most cases the work is supplied by exerting a torque, which is used to operate other machinery, generate electricity, pump water or compressed gas. In the context of propulsion systems, an air breathing engine is one that uses atmospheric air to oxidise the fuel carried, rather than carrying an oxidiser, as in a rocket.

The term is used in computer science in "search engine", "3-D graphics game engine", "rendering engine" and "text-to-speech engine", even though these "engines" are not mechanical and cause no mechanical action (this usage may have been inspired by the "difference engine", an early mechanical computing device
The word "motor" also refers to motive power. Again, from Wikipedia

However, it seems to be applied to more modern forms of power. Electric motor, for example. There is the older term "motor car" which we don’t hear much these days.

From the dictionary on my Mac (derived from Websters, I believe), "Motor" has the following origin:
ORIGIN late Middle English (denoting a person who imparts motion): from Latin, literally ‘mover,’ based on movere ‘to move.’ The current sense of the noun dates from the mid 19th cent.
The same sourge gives this as the origin of the word "engine"

ORIGIN Middle English (formerly also as ingine): from Old French engin, from Latin ingenium ‘talent, device,’ from in- ‘in’ + gignere ‘beget’ ; compare with ingenious . The original sense was [ingenuity, cunning] (surviving in Scots as ingine), hence [the product of ingenuity, a plot or snare,] also [tool, weapon,] later specifically denoting a large mechanical weapon; whence a machine (mid 17th cent.), used commonly later in combinations such as steam engine, internal combustion engine.
The two are interchangeable, but it seems that the evolution of language has separated the two out. "Engine" seems to refer more to devices with mechanical moving parts, such as pistons, gears, levers, etc - steam engines, internal combustion engine. The word "motor" seems to be used more for less moving parts - "electric motor" for example.

You don’t say "internal combustion motor" or "electric engine". Oddly, the word "engine car" never appeared, though "motor car" did. Cars in the UK can still be referred to as a "motor" which is clearly derived from "motor car" - though we don’t look at the "motor" under the bonnet (unless it’s the starter motor, of course - which is electric).

Old 10-07-2008, 02:57 AM
Life is random...so am I.

Yup....what hairydalek said.

A "motor" generates twist using electricity.
A "engine" is something that uses some form of compression. Typically a burned fuel, sometimes steam.

Old 10-07-2008, 03:34 AM
Received 27 Likes on 21 Posts
Talking Re: What is the diiference between a MOTOR and an ENGINE

I have always thought that the motor used power like a hydraulic motor, or pneumatic motor, and an engine generated power from a fuel like a steam engine, diesel engine. So where does a ROCKET MOTOR fit? Its like benj. Franklin who got the flow of electricity backwards, He thought it was from + to -, wrong but we still have current going that way and electron flow going - to +.

ENJOY, Woody

Old 10-07-2008, 09:05 AM
Life is random...so am I.

Originally Posted by waldig
I have always thought that the motor used power like a hydraulic motor, or pneumatic motor, and an engine generated power from a fuel like a steam engine, diesel engine. So where does a ROCKET MOTOR fit? Its like benj. Franklin who got the flow of electricity backwards, He thought it was from + to -, wrong but we still have current going that way and electron flow going - to +.

ENJOY, Woody

Typically, hydraulics and pneumatics rely on a "pump"

Rockets rely more on jet propulsion, high and low pressure's.

Old 10-07-2008, 11:28 AM

Thanks all. I was kinda TIC at first, but seeing the comments, I appreciate thought that went into the replies. My hayseed school learnin' taught me motors were electric powered, and engines were piston powered. Motor cars may have been gas, electric or steam, but today Motor Vehicle Divisions register all. Guess it's a personal choice and not a definition.

John P
FTroopChief

Old 10-07-2008, 12:34 PM
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by FTroopChief
What is the difference betwen a motor and an engine? I am from the unpolitically correct era when things were called what they were. Some where along the way in a few short decades. and fewer generations our language has has become so convoluted as to distort the meanings of thousands of words. Why? Does it only matter what the definition of is, IS?

John P
FTroopChief
What is the diiference between a MOTOR and an ENGINE?? I would say the spelling:

MOTOR
ENGINE

See how each word uses different letters?

Old 10-07-2008, 12:39 PM
Received 61 Likes on 49 Posts

There ya go!
I think that's the answer he was expecting. Good things the other guy's chimed in first!

76 years old and on the XF forum? Are you the oldest here?

Old 10-07-2008, 03:56 PM

Originally Posted by tighed1
There ya go!
I think that's the answer he was expecting. Good things the other guy's chimed in first!

76 years old and on the XF forum? Are you the oldest here?
Thanks tighed1, I bet you got the Ring at the Merry-Go-Round, (Carrousel), give that man a Cigar.

Don't know if I'm the oldest, 77 in two weeks, but I'll out fun y'all. I've driven faster than my age too, sounds a heck of a lot faster than 16 mph

John P.
FTroopChief