Other Vehicles The place to talk about watercraft, boats, trains, planes and anything with an engine that isn't a car.

Four runners

Old 12-28-2010, 08:49 PM
Received 505 Likes on 349 Posts
Default Four runners

I'm going to be looking for some off road four runners bikesfor Crumpy and I to use on our very hilly ranch.

I'm likely looking for used cause I'm a cheap tightwad. That said, I want reliable stuff so I don't have to haul carcasses up the mountain to display on my front porch.

(I know it's the thing to fit in thar in the Ozarks, but an ole washer and a broken fridge is enough)

Advice?

roadster with a stick

Old 12-28-2010, 09:37 PM
Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
Default Re: Four runners

Originally Posted by Franc Rauscher

Advice?
Wear helmets.

Old 12-28-2010, 10:17 PM
Received 533 Likes on 450 Posts

Originally Posted by InfernoRedXfire
Wear helmets.
Too late the damage is already done.

Old 12-28-2010, 11:04 PM
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I thought you were talking about a "tayota" 4x4 thing...

Old 12-28-2010, 11:29 PM

OK, I deserved all of that.

One can always count on his friends for help.

Especialy here.

Old 12-29-2010, 12:29 AM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

OK, I deserved all of that.

One can always count on his friends for help.

Especialy here.

Then you will be ok with this.
Four Surrey runners crack boys' Top 10

Old 12-29-2010, 08:58 AM

Originally Posted by GDC-SRT
Then you will be ok with this.
Four Surrey runners crack boys' Top 10
Thanks Greg.

Old 12-29-2010, 09:51 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

You might consider an old John Deere five or six-wheeler farm buggy. I am fairly familiar with MO USA properties (have 50 acres near Lebanon for when SHTF) and these things are nuts-and-bolts perfect for hauling necessities up and down the vista.

This one is ideal for date night.

Last edited by Hambletonian; 12-29-2010 at 10:10 AM.
Old 12-29-2010, 10:30 AM

Originally Posted by Hambletonian
You might consider an old John Deere five or six-wheeler farm buggy. I am fairly familiar with MO USA properties (have 50 acres near Lebanon for when SHTF) and these things are nuts-and-bolts perfect for hauling necessities up and down the vista.

This one is ideal for date night.
Lebanon is an ideal place to be when all hell breaks loose. Aside from being surrounded by folks who hug their bibles and their guns (with an equal understanding and respect for both) one can go trout fishing, hunt deer and turkey.

My place is due south about 60 miles. Ya'll come see us next time you are around.

As to the JD model above, too big. I need a four wheel "get about" that can snake thru the trees and stream beds. As well as herd cows. Honda, Kawasaki and Suzuki dirt bike but with four wheels.

Last edited by Franc Rauscher; 12-29-2010 at 10:42 AM.
Old 12-29-2010, 11:42 AM
Received 19 Likes on 17 Posts

you mean "4 wheelers" Franc....give me some ideas...slow, fast, in the middle? John Deere has a gator that is four wheels, you sit in it like a car, or a 4 wheeler you strandle like a motorcycle. We give them away to customers who buy enough seed to qualify. I don't think you will be buying any seed in the $300K range, but I can get discounts on the new ones. If you want used, I have farmers selling them all the time if I knew what you were looking for specifically....let me know, and I will keep my ears to the ground....still working on your lowboy....

Old 12-29-2010, 12:18 PM
Banned
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

They have arrived. A new level of crossover performance.
2011 Gator XUV 4x4
Could you imagine your Gator with 50-HP*, a top speed of 44 MPH, all-new high-performance, double-wishbone suspension and simply the best cargo box in the industry? No? Well, it's time to change your expectations. See the new Gator XUV now. Just right for grumpy old neocons from Missouri.

Last edited by Kane; 12-29-2010 at 12:24 PM.
Old 12-29-2010, 12:24 PM

Originally Posted by Kane
They have arrived. A new level of crossover performance.
2011 Gator XUV 4x4
Could you imagine your Gator with 50-HP*, a top speed of 44 MPH, all-new high-performance, double-wishbone suspension and simply the best cargo box in the industry? No? Well, it's time to change your expectations. See the new Gator XUV now. Just right for neocons from Missouri.
Polaris made us a customized one. That sucker is wicked. I haul for Becks Hybrids and it is customized with Beck colors and logos...Of course Franc could by a used SUV for what they cost...lol...but much faster than a gator....we gave gators away last year...

Old 12-29-2010, 02:06 PM
Default ?Re: Four runners

Guys, GUYS, GUYS!

Please, Cathy has a well modded srt and I have a lightly modded NA for the racing stuff.
We just want to scoot up and down the mountain OK?

Doc, I'm looking for used of course, $2K to $3K 4WD or 2WD.

A utility truck is OK if I can get a deal. I have a small trailer for humping firewood so a decent engine with a trailer hitch set up is great.

What is considered best?
What's a good price value

The local farm supply "Rural King" has a brand new adult size 4 wheel get about for $2,500.00. But it is only 2WD. They sell new ones for kids at $600-$700.

They appear to be assembled in Thailand or Vietnam. But they are new.

I would rather spend similar money for used and get a Japaneese or American brand.

I am currently broke from Christmas spending on my new Tonka Toy dozer, so in no real hurry. But I figured with Deer season over and winter weather some deals may be out there to be had. So what is considered the best to buy?
Honda, Polaris, John Deere ?????

roadster with a stick

Old 12-29-2010, 03:31 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Honda gets high marks for long term reliability.

A couple of friends said Polaris machines ride nice but need a lot of attention.

Buying used is probably the best way to go.

I have never owned one so all I have is hearsay.

I can tell you that I have owned many Honda motorcycles, and never had any trouble, Change oil, add gas and ride.

Old 12-29-2010, 03:43 PM

Polaris if I were buying, but nothing wrong with a Honda...they are just "cold" starters, once they are running, they are fine. The Polaris will give you more get up and go. My suggestion Franc, is to stay with the upright machines, like the gator, as an example. But, of course, those won't be in your price range...I will keep my eye out for you...this big "give a way" we just had has many looking to upgrade and sell theirs...I will be back to work on Monday, and I will get right on to try and find you a transport for your new toy....lol

Old 12-29-2010, 04:16 PM

Originally Posted by oledoc2u
Polaris if I were buying, but nothing wrong with a Honda...they are just "cold" starters, once they are running, they are fine. The Polaris will give you more get up and go. My suggestion Franc, is to stay with the upright machines, like the gator, as an example. But, of course, those won't be in your price range...I will keep my eye out for you...this big "give a way" we just had has many looking to upgrade and sell theirs...I will be back to work on Monday, and I will get right on to try and find you a transport for your new toy....lol
That sounds like a winner strategey Doc.

Do not take this wrong but prize toys tend to be the base models or fairly common in their added accesories, powerplants and toys. I would prefer that as they would likely be simpler machines.

As we all know, I am a simple man.

If I can help one of your customers leverage an upgrade that's great.

Last edited by Franc Rauscher; 12-29-2010 at 04:22 PM.
Old 12-29-2010, 04:19 PM

That sounds like a winner strategey Doc.

Do not take this wrong but prize toys tend to be the base models or fairly common in their added accesories, powerplants and toys. I would prefer that as they would likely be simpler.
If I can help one of your customers leverage an upgrade that's great.
Just what I was thinking....lol

Old 12-29-2010, 05:20 PM
Old 12-29-2010, 11:16 PM
Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by GDC-SRT
Honda gets high marks for long term reliability.
A couple of friends said Polaris machines ride nice but need a lot of attention.
Buying used is probably the best way to go.
I have never owned one so all I have is hearsay.
I can tell you that I have owned many Honda motorcycles, and never had any trouble, Change oil, add gas and ride.
Franc, I totally agree with GDC-SRT.
My Nephew knows these machines inside and out, and has had several and put many, many miles on them. He and his friends use to take their 4 wheelers out all the time and trust me, he's the type of guy who drives em like he stole em. If it breaks, he fixes it. But with his Honda's, he's never really had to fix much of anything. Just replace a couple of front rims from hitting some RR tracks too fast. Once he even tried crossing a river by "hydroplaning" across it at speed. Almost made it, but wound up sinking in about 4' of water, and the current tumbled it down stream about 100' before he could get it in a spot where his friends could tow him out. He said it took him about an hour to get all the "critical" areas dry enough to get it started again, and he drove it out.
As Doc pointed out, the Polaris will run away from the Honda, but that's about it.
Actually, one of the 3 guys my Nephew use to ride with had a Newer Polaris. But after having to pull him out of the boonies nearly everytime they went out, they finally told the guy to either buy a Honda, or stay home.
I know I'm always preaching Honda, all the time, but I'm speaking from experience. (I've had quite a few) Cars and Bikes. I don't like working on my toys, I like driving them, and that's why my D.D. has a Honda badge on it. If I was going to get back into motorcycles again, it would more than likely be another Honda, or maybe V-Rod.
I'd give ya my Nephews phone # because he's the expert, but he's getting married this weekend and probably has other things on his mind.

Old 12-29-2010, 11:45 PM

Originally Posted by +fireamx
Franc, I totally agree with GDC-SRT.
My Nephew knows these machines inside and out, and has had several and put many, many miles on them. He and his friends use to take their 4 wheelers out all the time and trust me, he's the type of guy who drives em like he stole em. If it breaks, he fixes it. But with his Honda's, he's never really had to fix much of anything. Just replace a couple of front rims from hitting some RR tracks too fast. Once he even tried crossing a river by "hydroplaning" across it at speed. Almost made it, but wound up sinking in about 4' of water, and the current tumbled it down stream about 100' before he could get it in a spot where his friends could tow him out. He said it took him about an hour to get all the "critical" areas dry enough to get it started again, and he drove it out.
As Doc pointed out, the Polaris will run away from the Honda, but that's about it.
Actually, one of the 3 guys my Nephew use to ride with had a Newer Polaris. But after having to pull him out of the boonies nearly everytime they went out, they finally told the guy to either buy a Honda, or stay home.
I know I'm always preaching Honda, all the time, but I'm speaking from experience. (I've had quite a few) Cars and Bikes. I don't like working on my toys, I like driving them, and that's why my D.D. has a Honda badge on it. If I was going to get back into motorcycles again, it would more than likely be another Honda, or maybe V-Rod.
I'd give ya my Nephews phone # because he's the expert, but he's getting married this weekend and probably has other things on his mind.
Thanks for the input.

I am finding myself buying old stuff, from the times that Americans made it, when I can and Honda motors when going new.
Crumpy's walk behind Brush hog has a Honda motor. That sucker is relentless.

Polaris is made in America no? Hence my interest their.

I would love a chat with your nephew if he has a moment and the inclination.

Quick Reply: Four runners