Other Vehicles The place to talk about watercraft, boats, trains, planes and anything with an engine that isn't a car.

Crumpy bought a boat.

Old 05-09-2015, 08:50 PM
Received 505 Likes on 349 Posts
Default Crumpy bought a boat.

After 30 years of boating we sorta gave it up in 2000. Last year we sold the 27 foot sail boat because it had sat in the marina parking lot for 10 years unused.

I thought we were done.
Last week she went to spend time with the Grandkids in Connecticut.
This morning she called to tell me she bought us a boat.

26' flybridge Maxum.

YOWZA!

I think I'll keep her.

And the boat.

Last edited by Franc Rauscher; 05-11-2015 at 01:15 PM.
Old 05-09-2015, 09:22 PM
Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
Default Re: Crumpy bought a boat.

Lookin good Frank. Watch out for those barges on the Mississippi.
We dropped out of the "yachting set" back in 1986.

Old 05-09-2015, 09:40 PM

Thanks.

From 1960's to 1982 we were river rats running power boats up and down the Mississippi and Lake of the Ozarks. Then we got into sailing and have had a boat in the water on Carlyle lake in Ill. I prefer sail over power but the grandkids seem to have had a vote on this purchase.

I am looking forward to cruises on many lakes and rivers for a few years but this craft will likely end up in Connecticut, with the swells, on the long Island Sound.

Old 05-09-2015, 11:45 PM
Administrator / Senior Member
Received 448 Likes on 315 Posts

Originally Posted by Franc Rauscher
Last week she went to spend time with the Grandkids in Connecticut.
This morning she called to tell me she bought us a boat.
26' flybridge Maxum.

Very Nice !!!
Business must have picked up for you or.....
Did you sell an SRT
Win the lotto
Rob a bank
Cash in the 401k
Sell the business ???

Who cares....lets go boating

Old 05-10-2015, 01:10 PM

Originally Posted by VALK
Very Nice !!!
Business must have picked up for you or.....
Did you sell an SRT
Win the lotto
Rob a bank
Cash in the 401k
Sell the business ???

Who cares....lets go boating

Self employed.
60 hours work week
Ramen noodle lunches with an occasional Mac and cheese diet.

And a wife who is an excellent negotiator.

Thanks for the Kudos Gary

Old 05-10-2015, 01:51 PM
Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

That's going to take a good size anchor to hold it in place. Squirrel Crusher

Old 05-10-2015, 03:02 PM

Originally Posted by Squirrel Crusher
That's going to take a good size anchor to hold it in place. Squirrel Crusher
I'm more worried about the BIG gas tank. Having been a rag boat skipper for 30 years I'm not used to pouring 50-100 gallons into my hole in the water every weekend.
Most summers we burned 2 or 3 gallons of diesel all season.

The boat came with EVERYTHING. Including an anchor.
But, if not enough,,, I still have the anchors from my 10,000 lb GW 27' sailing sloop.

Last edited by Franc Rauscher; 05-10-2015 at 03:35 PM.
Old 05-10-2015, 04:06 PM
Received 533 Likes on 450 Posts

Originally Posted by Franc Rauscher
I'm more worried about the BIG gas tank. Having been a rag boat skipper for 30 years I'm not used to pouring 50-100 gallons into my hole in the water every weekend.
Most summers we burned 2 or 3 gallons of diesel all season.

The boat came with EVERYTHING. Including an anchor.
But, if not enough,,, I still have the anchors from my 10,000 lb GW 27' sailing sloop.
Poke a few holes in each side and fit some oars, kids these days need exercise. Fit a little screen in front of each rowing seat and the GK's can watch movies while they row.

Old 05-19-2015, 05:45 PM

Update on the BOAT.

Looks like it will harbor in Hartford CT about an hours run up the river from the Long Island Sound. I only have to tow it once from Dayton OH.

Crumpy can fly to Hartford and take a taxi to the boat. The kids are like 30-40 minutes away.
Seaboard Marina has made a hole in the water in which, for us, to pour money. Shouldn't reduce my Crossie fun time too much.

This is for her and the grandkids anyways. I still prefer sail.

But, it is one more step to retirement in Connecticut. Or some New England state surrounded by liberals. I had other plans. But hopefully, love does conquer all.

Last edited by Franc Rauscher; 05-19-2015 at 10:29 PM.
Old 05-20-2015, 07:20 AM
Forum Regular
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Very nice, congratulations to you and your wife. Enjoy!

Old 07-10-2015, 11:37 PM

Update;

We commissioned the boat on July 3rd after a week of Connecticut red tape. I have come to believe most every city, town, and hamlet in that state is infected with a perponderance of government buildings equal to 50% of the structures there. And, each and everyone of them is manned by good people with good intentions wound up in a system of useless documentation procedures bent on creating work time but not effective work action.
One office handles Titles but not licensing. One handles boat operator licenses but not testing, training and certifications. One office had more signs on the wall informing the public of what they would not, or could not, do there than what they could. It seems that some are open most days, some are open three days, some are open only on Wednesday and Fridays.
The lines are long and when you get to the front, You often get a ticket which allows you to sit for the rest of your wait.

But, by Thursday, we had proper papers, the dock cushions on our slip, new Cleats and springlines as well as all the boat fixtures installed. The motor started first try and we went for a maiden voyage. Ten minutes out, we encountered a small runabout with out drive problems and spent and hour towing them up stream to their harbor.
Spent the night on board and enjoyed a very pleasant evening with new friends in our new harbor.

I love dock life. Good friends, sharing food, and drink, and stories.

Friday we went downstream to Portland CT and anchored near an old RR swing bridge. With about 500 other boats, we watched the best fireworks show I have ever seen and motored back to the harbor under a full harvest moon.

Romantic and pleasant. I almost forgot the frustration of getting the boat legal (well sorta) in the water. Slept like a baby in the womb as the boat gently rocked thru the night.

Weather was perfect. The boat was perfect. The moment was perfect. I haven't seen the wife that happy in years.

I'm home now in St Louis. But she is still there. Seems we all have to take a boating course (8 hours) from the Department of Environmental Protection. I've been operating power and sail since I was 14 years old. 55 years of experience and I have to take a course so I don't foul their precious waters.

Business needed me back here so Crumpy stayed to take the course with my son and Granddaughter. They are giving one this Saturday,,, ALL DAY at the harbor. My temporary license lasts only 60 days so I too will have to take the course.

There are only certain days they give it throughout the State. But I can go to Cabela's and get a short version (about three hours) anytime for $75.

The Wife wants to be with the Grandkids as we age but,,,, I am having second thoughts about retirement in CT.

Last edited by Franc Rauscher; 07-17-2015 at 11:15 PM.
Old 07-24-2015, 07:56 PM
Forum Regular
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

We just bought our first biggish powerboat as well. A 22 foot Bayliner Capri. Spent the 4th out on the lake, and she ran like a champ. My condolences on your upcoming fuel bills.

Where were you planning on retiring that's better than CT anyways? Other than snow, of which you get plenty anyways, the temperate climate should coddle you in comfort the rest of the year.
I do miss the peace of sailing, but the grandkids ( and kids) want tubing and skiing.

Old 07-24-2015, 09:47 PM

Originally Posted by 05roadsterguy
We just bought our first biggish powerboat as well. A 22 foot Bayliner Capri. Spent the 4th out on the lake, and she ran like a champ. My condolences on your upcoming fuel bills.

Where were you planning on retiring that's better than CT anyways? Other than snow, of which you get plenty anyways, the temperate climate should coddle you in comfort the rest of the year.
I do miss the peace of sailing, but the grandkids ( and kids) want tubing and skiing.

Congratulations! That Bayliner Capri is a great boat. Nice ride in the chop and not too bad on gas for skiing and such. I have been eyeing them just for that reason as the "big" boat is a mother ship and not set for training kids to ski.

However, I think I just bought this little dinghy. Frankly, it is impractical as hell but I have wanted one since 1968. I stumbled on to it reading Craigslist while looking for a project Capri or Maxum BR.

I don't want to retire in CT but it seems that is inevitable.

Hell the cat is already there and refuses to come home.

Meanwhile;
I am sending cash Saturday to hold the deal.

Last edited by Franc Rauscher; 07-24-2015 at 10:28 PM.
Old 07-25-2015, 09:37 PM
Received 19 Likes on 17 Posts

Spent a lot of time in a 17 or 18 footer. Had a Baja 19 in '84. Went mastercraft for several yrs. finished off on a Malibu response.

Old 07-25-2015, 10:11 PM

This is just an emotional fling,,, impulse.

I have no idea how I will fit this into my current life plans.

It may not even be seaworthy. Even if it is, the boat is hardly practical.
My search was for a Bayliner Capri or Maxum I?O,,, open bow for water skiing.

And I still want to end up living on a sailboat or watching cows graze on my ranch.

68 years old ,one would think I could make up my mind about what I want to do when I grow up.

Old 07-26-2015, 10:28 AM

You will love the Glastron.

Old 07-26-2015, 01:43 PM

Originally Posted by oledoc2u
You will love the Glastron.

I hope so. It depends on what I have to restore. Due to age and construction materials, some of these have serious issues.

So far, I know I have to do a complete interior.

I am looking forward to this;

Last edited by Franc Rauscher; 07-26-2015 at 01:46 PM.
Old 07-26-2015, 02:42 PM

Franc, as you know. we lived on the lake from '81-99.... I miss it, but don't miss the repairs. Docks and boat lifts, although the inboards were like working on the cars,,,no big deal. I wish I had kept my Malibu....it was a $25k boat when new, and they have since doubled in price, so we will never be there again. I have found some older ski nautigues I may spring for some day. But I have one more big mod for the blue coupe to do, before I am done...so the boat will have to wait. Enjoy my friend. You deserve the fun of boating in the retirement years. Besides, we need a few conservatives to upset the daily lives of liberals in the east...later

Old 07-26-2015, 03:45 PM

Originally Posted by oledoc2u
Franc, as you know. we lived on the lake from '81-99.... I miss it, but don't miss the repairs. Docks and boat lifts, although the inboards were like working on the cars,,,no big deal. I wish I had kept my Malibu....it was a $25k boat when new, and they have since doubled in price, so we will never be there again. I have found some older ski nautigues I may spring for some day. But I have one more big mod for the blue coupe to do, before I am done...so the boat will have to wait. Enjoy my friend. You deserve the fun of boating in the retirement years. Besides, we need a few conservatives to upset the daily lives of liberals in the east...later

Mastercraft and Malibu were proper boats. Reliable commuter boats in a lake community. Seaworthy in rough weater, they would get you home safe.

This is a rock skipping on the water. It needs smooth , flat lakes with quiet morning water. Much more than a light chop and the 150GT gets dinky.

I also prefer the Inboards, four stroke and smooth running. Just like cars for maintenance. Carbureted two strokes are finicky little b!tches. Especially these old tower of power Mercs. But this is just a toy serving the Mother ship. If it fails, we can just tow it home.

If it runs, lot's of fun.

Last edited by Franc Rauscher; 07-26-2015 at 03:48 PM.