Other Vehicles The place to talk about watercraft, boats, trains, planes and anything with an engine that isn't a car.

My turn!

Old 07-24-2015, 10:32 PM
Received 505 Likes on 349 Posts
Default My turn!

Anybody figured out how to put a hitch on the Crossfire yet. The wife bought a big cruiser for the kids so I went and got mine. It's just a little smaller.

I laughed at the idea years ago but now I have this little toy to tow.

If it looks familiar, these were made popular by the James Bond movie, "Live or Let Die" I think. 1972

Last edited by Franc Rauscher; 07-25-2015 at 12:38 AM.
Old 07-24-2015, 11:07 PM
Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
Default Re: My turn!

Nice score there Franc!

Old 07-24-2015, 11:14 PM

Originally Posted by InfernoRedXfire
Nice score there Franc!

Thanks

I tried to buy one back in 1972. Every time the dealer got a delivery he rejected the product. Seems the boat was so popular Glastron couldn't meet demand. So they were pushing product out too fast to make them right.

This is a 1968 model and more likely well built.
I had settled for a different boat and always regretted not getting my dream craft.

This one does 60 MPH on the water which is no big deal today but back then that was blazing fast. This boat is a classic, much like our Crossies. And like my Crossfire, it's a keeper.

We pick it up next week. The interior is gone so I have a nice project in front of me before we get the hull wet.

Last edited by Franc Rauscher; 07-25-2015 at 01:20 AM.
Old 07-24-2015, 11:20 PM
Received 15 Likes on 14 Posts

Looks like a nice little lake runner there Franc!

Old 07-25-2015, 09:28 AM
Received 27 Likes on 24 Posts

That's a beauty Franc . . . Is that a Glasspar G3?? I had a green & white Glasspar G3 back in the early '70's . . .Used to tow it around with my green '70 Corvette convertible. (I USED TO BE pretty cool back in the the day . . . My God . . . That was 45 years ago??)

Old 07-25-2015, 10:11 AM

Originally Posted by RED DOG
That's a beauty Franc . . . Is that a Glasspar G3?? I had a green & white Glasspar G3 back in the early '70's . . .Used to tow it around with my green '70 Corvette convertible. (I USED TO BE pretty cool back in the the day . . . My God . . . That was 45 years ago??)

No. It is a Glastron GT150.

Glastron Boat out of Austin TX. A partner designer spun off from Lonestar boat just about the time Chrysler bought them out (along with Elgin motors) to create a comprehensive Chrysler Marine Products company.

A very iconic boat the GT150 was featured in the James Bond movie "Live or let die" The seller claims this boat was in the movie as a "backup" Pure BS as the hull numbers indicate a 1968 model. The boats in the movie were 1971 and 1972 models, mostly factory rejects and therefore disposable.

Only a few of those 19 boats still exist.

Downside of this boat would be the wood stringers and stern core. This one seems well preserved but, I'm betting a long process of restoration, despite it's good appearance. Secondarily, the Keikhaefer Mercury is of the proper time but suffers greatly with modern lead free ETOH fuels. I have a lot of researchto perform.
I have not yet seen the boat in person so the butterflies are there. And the deal could still fold.

I pick it up next week end.

To me this boat design is like an AMX of the period. Exceptional design that will always look good and perform well.

Timeless.

Last edited by Franc Rauscher; 07-26-2015 at 12:52 AM.
Old 07-25-2015, 10:16 AM
SSB SRT6 405hp/401Tq
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

First look I thought it was a SIDEWINDER....a lot of similarities.

Old 07-25-2015, 10:49 AM

Originally Posted by SparkieSRT6
First look I thought it was a SIDEWINDER....a lot of similarities.
Yes.
A lot of boat designs took after the Glastron styles. One sees them even today.

636 × 290 - jamesbondlifestyle.com

Last edited by Franc Rauscher; 07-25-2015 at 10:54 AM.
Old 07-25-2015, 12:10 PM
Received 27 Likes on 24 Posts

Well 45 years has taken its toll on my memory too

This is a Glasspar G3 almost identical to the one I had back in the day . . . I even had the pirate flag flying on the front just like that . . .

It's not nearly as sleek as your new toy . . . ENJOY!

Old 07-25-2015, 01:13 PM

Originally Posted by RED DOG
Well 45 years has taken its toll on my memory too

This is a Glasspar G3 almost identical to the one I had back in the day . . . I even had the pirate flag flying on the front just like that . . .

It's not nearly as sleek as your new toy . . . ENJOY!

The 60's and 70's were a fun time with small boats. Lots of manufacturer's dealing with the new wonder material,,,, Fiber Glass, which made wood and aluminum construction go the way of Iron steam engines.

And few regulations made for easy access to new lakes built in the 30's and 50's .

The dream of owning a cool little towable yatch, and dream of summer fun, was attainable for almost anyone.

350 × 152 - bondmovies.com

Old 07-27-2015, 01:14 PM
GTW
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

That is a beautiful boat! Great project. Forget the batman outfit.....you'll go to the garage, see that boat and think you're James Bond!

Old 07-27-2015, 02:47 PM

Originally Posted by GTW
That is a beautiful boat! Great project. Forget the batman outfit.....you'll go to the garage, see that boat and think you're James Bond!
I hope it works out. I passed on a beautiful Chris Craft 165 BR that needed nothing but a new engine block.
Simple mechanics. In the water two weeks tops.

I could be doing that, a new stern transom, new floor ribs and for sure new upholstery. And then hope the old Keihkauffer doesn't need surgery.

I have no idea the actual condition of this ole girl but yes, she is pretty.

When it comes to a sexy lady with the right curves.... I have no sense whatsoever.

Old 07-27-2015, 10:33 PM
Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Great looking boat Franc (and it's my favorite color combination as well.) How much H.P.?

Old 07-27-2015, 11:27 PM

Hope it's as nice as it looks for your new project. Squirrel Crusher

Old 07-27-2015, 11:37 PM

Originally Posted by +fireamx
Great looking boat Franc (and it's my favorite color combination as well.) How much H.P.?

Thanks. I actually thought of your AMX passion when I found it.

This one is powered by a medium sized klicker.

90 HP Kiehkauffer Mercury Tower of power. 1967 or '68. I don't know the exact model, but I believe it is a three carb inline six. A tough devil to get tuned right but high torque and smooth running.

I will be picking it up near Milwaukie on Thursday. Saturday I will be assessing the structure, floor and Transom. If all goes well, I will only need to have the interior re-upholstered. The guy who just did my '95 Ram one ton gets the job.

I'm thinking factory configuration with rolled and tucked seats in cream and orange/red piping. Crumpy insists we have a first class job done giving me a virtual blank check. I am somewhat anxious to find out why. Or what THAT will eventually cost me.

(It could just be because I let her buy our son a 26 ft cabin cruiser.)

But, I'll deal with THAT later.

Right now I cannot wait to get this baby wet.

Old 08-09-2015, 12:26 AM

So, the plot thickens.

The kids in Connecticut are spending a lot of time on the big Maxum cruiser. The Wife has flown there twice to enjoy the harbor life. And I got a heart throb impulse to buy an old inappropriate toy.
Last week I began the sad task of pulling the old Vampire ski boat out of the weeds and hauling it , it's 55 HP motor and the 115Hp motor I was going to rebuild to the dump. I have had that boat since 1972. Put it to pasture(?) in 1996. So it was pretty weathered and worn.

I spun the engine just to see and it wasn't seized. I'll bet a new water pump impeller and it would run. Sad, as it is a Chrysler and nobody wants them anymore.
Rubbing my hands over the deck of the Vampire, the metalflake was like sandpaper from the oxidation. And the stern transom was soft as a pair of sneakers.

I aired up the tires and hitched it to the truck. As I put a license plate on the trailer, I took one last look at the hull lines.....

And then I thought about what I was tossing away....
A little sanding and a coat of clear would bring the shine back to the deck, The transom is a one-two day fix, the magic of polyester resins and woven fiberglass. The Hull just needs power wash and wax,,,,

I'm now up to 600 grit and it looks really swell. My paint guy says if I go to 800 it will look brand new when he is done.

We power washed the interior, sprayed the boat for bugs and next week I'm cutting out the bad wood in the transom. Carpet the interior and mount some new seats. If the old Chrysler won't fire, I'm gonna find a used 80-90 HP Kiekhauffer merc .

So now, I own three boats. None of them are Sailboats

What is wrong with me?

Last edited by Franc Rauscher; 08-09-2015 at 02:43 PM.
Old 09-13-2015, 09:04 PM

Hey Franc, how's that new Toy working out for ya?
I think I found a nice little "Tow Car" for you.
1975 Chevrolet Monza 2-Door Monza-V8-5-Speed-Hot Rod for sale #1769067 | Hemmings Motor News

Old 09-13-2015, 09:51 PM

1975 Chevrolet Monza 2-Door Monza-V8-5-Speed-Hot Rod for sale #1769067 | Hemmings Motor News
Yeah,. that would do it. A bit pricey at $12K for a Vega.

I think my brother , who lives in Plano, still has a factory original 6 banger and automatic in his Monza.

I still dream of driving my V/6 Starfire with the Muncie four speed. Pulled the boat (yes the one I am rebuilding) all over the State of MO and out to Central Illinois.

Thanx for posting that.

BTW, I just pickecd up another boat... For a bottle of Crown Royal Scotch. Seems the guy took the 85 HP Merc off the stern to fix a bad transom. He cut the old one out with a chain saw and now has no idea how to repair it. Abandoning the project, he wanted $200 for the motor, which runs perfectly. But, if I took the whole mess, it was free. I asked him what he drank.

So now I own four boats. A couple more and I will have to buy a marina.

Meanwhile, I have lots to do this winter.

Last edited by Franc Rauscher; 09-13-2015 at 09:59 PM.
Old 09-13-2015, 11:08 PM
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

OMG I want that. I remember when my Dad bought a 1980 Sunbird 4cyl 4sp. Then a 1977 Monza Spyder as a parts car, then a 1980 Monza Coupe with low miles, we ended up combing them all with some Pontiac performance sway bars, the 327 out of our 1967 El Camino, and ended up with every factory option except A/C, plus louvered hood with a slight scoop cut into the hood bulge. I still love those HS cars.

Old 09-13-2015, 11:31 PM

Originally Posted by pioneer4x4
OMG I want that. I remember when my Dad bought a 1980 Sunbird 4cyl 4sp. Then a 1977 Monza Spyder as a parts car, then a 1980 Monza Coupe with low miles, we ended up combing them all with some Pontiac performance sway bars, the 327 out of our 1967 El Camino, and ended up with every factory option except A/C, plus louvered hood with a slight scoop cut into the hood bulge. I still love those HS cars.
Except fotr handling, the V/8 transplant was a cheap way to make that body go very fast very quick. But, it made the thing really heavy on the nose and worthless in the twisties. Originally designed for the "Wankle" rotary engine, the V/6 GM substituted (at the last minute) was equally light. A perfect fit.

Road and Track called it a "poor man's Porsche."
I put over 200,000 miles on my '75 Olds. Mag wheels and sway bars, traction bars and rear louvers on the hatch. Pure 1970's and all fun. I still miss driving that car.

Until I bought my first Crossfire. Closest thing to that poor man's Porsche I have ever driven.

Back to the thread topic; The Glastron was everything the guy said. I think he cried when I pulled away with it. All it needs is an interior. This winter, when I can get it done absolutely correct.

The Vampire is another story. Transom was pretty bad. termites had weakened the core from the keel to the transom and most of the way across the stern plate. It will take three layers of 3/4" marine plywood, all to be laminated in with glass and resins, to beef it up for the 85 HP Merc Kiehkauffer I found for it. A running 1985 model with tanks and controls. All for a bottle of Crown Royal.

Last edited by Franc Rauscher; 09-13-2015 at 11:50 PM.