Racing The place to talk about autocrossing, road and drag racing.

Propylene octane rating vs Methanol?

Old 03-24-2007, 07:40 PM
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Default Propylene octane rating vs Methanol?

I know some of you guys are running propylene as an octane booster, I'm curious as to how many extra points your octane is raised on 10% mix?

I'm saving up for the SI ecu tune, and will be dynoing before and after while playing around with different fuels.

I've been told that I can get a 5 point octane rating boost by running on methanol while properly mixed, so I'm curious as to what Hp numbers I will make on 98 octane fuel + meth, before and after the ecu upgrade.

I've also been told that by running Acetone I would see a gain of 2-3 points, it may not have the same resistance to detonation as the Methanol, but it does give you that octane boost and better fuel consumption because it has higher energy density.

Just wondering what you guys have been playing with...

Last edited by Maxwell; 03-24-2007 at 07:48 PM.
Old 03-25-2007, 06:14 PM
Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
Default Re: Propylene octane rating vs Methanol?

Originally Posted by Maxwell
I know some of you guys are running propylene as an octane booster, I'm curious as to how many extra points your octane is raised on 10% mix?

I'm saving up for the SI ecu tune, and will be dynoing before and after while playing around with different fuels.

I've been told that I can get a 5 point octane rating boost by running on methanol while properly mixed, so I'm curious as to what Hp numbers I will make on 98 octane fuel + meth, before and after the ecu upgrade.

I've also been told that by running Acetone I would see a gain of 2-3 points, it may not have the same resistance to detonation as the Methanol, but it does give you that octane boost and better fuel consumption because it has higher energy density.

Just wondering what you guys have been playing with...
http://www.motorsportsracingfuels.co...Additives.html

Propylene Oxide is an oxygenator, not octane booster. PO contains 38% oxygen and will increase your HP by 5-7%, but it is very expensive. Go to the link above and you'll get some more info on professional products. If you need to increase your octane after your ECU tune to prevent pre-ignition, use Toluene or Xylene only. You can get pure stuff from your local paint store made by Bortz.