Racing The place to talk about autocrossing, road and drag racing.

2009 Drag Racing at Quaker City Raceway

Old 01-08-2009, 07:54 AM
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Default Re: 2009 Drag Racing at Quaker City Raceway

Any photos gallerys of past events posted up on a website somewhere?

What is the altitude of this track?

Last edited by mrphotoman; 01-08-2009 at 08:04 AM.
Old 01-08-2009, 03:01 PM
She can ride with me ;)
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by mrphotoman

The altitude is 1240 ft. And you can check out their web site at:
http://www.quakercityraceway.com/

And see some of the regulars and their times:
http://www.dragtimes.com/Quaker-City...ackID-185.html

One thing to note, you will run a mite slower at this track than at the same altitudes elsewhere. There is a slight up-hill climb at the end of the track that saps a little time, and track prep isn't the best there. But its a fun track, with a nice staff and a good bunch of regulars.

Old 01-11-2009, 12:11 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Thumbs up Re: 2009 Drag Racing at Quaker City Raceway

Originally Posted by desireforthecrossfire
Please do. The date is July 18, 19th, right? That is a fun area and for driving the XF's too. Been thru there twice. Thanks.
Correct, JULY 18 and 19.

Originally Posted by mrphotoman

This is the 1st year at Quaker City Raceway. Last year this event was held in Columbus, Ohio.

2008 Pics/Video:
http://www.lxforums.com/board/showth...ures+nationals
http://www.moparmusclemagazine.com/e...als/index.html
http://www.injectedengineering.com/l...d=62&pageid=85
http://www.vortechsuperchargers.com/...?cat=3&gik=318
http://neochargers.com/

2008 DVD: Also can see a segment of the DVD here: http://www.myspace.com/lxandbeyondnats

Originally Posted by tom2112
The altitude is 1240 ft. And you can check out their web site at:
http://www.quakercityraceway.com/

And see some of the regulars and their times:
http://www.dragtimes.com/Quaker-City...ackID-185.html

One thing to note, you will run a mite slower at this track than at the same altitudes elsewhere. There is a slight up-hill climb at the end of the track that saps a little time, and track prep isn't the best there. But its a fun track, with a nice staff and a good bunch of regulars.
Thanks!!!

Old 01-11-2009, 10:00 AM
Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Quaker City is the track where I spent most of my Friday evenings at during the summers of 1970 and 1971.
As Tom pointed out, it's not the "Fastest" track around, but is the track that I won the most trophys at.
All the driveways are paved, with grassy areas to park your cars in between races. No shade anywhere so bring a portable patio.
If it doesn't interfere with any of my other plans, I will probably attend.
It could be a fun GTG for the North Coast Crossfire group.

Old 01-12-2009, 01:23 PM

I like the looks of this Quaker City Raceway weekend. It looks like a lot more fun than sitting under a tarp at a car show. It appears to be only for Mopars. If that is true it would be great to not have to listen to any ricers. It also looks like there is a class you could run without roll bars or cages. I also think it would make a great GTG. Anybody know how many cars they had last year?

"LX & Beyond (Open) Bracket Racing" - Bracket Racing (All participant vehicles allowed)
Bracket Classes: (11.49 & Quicker)(11.50 to 12.99)(13.00 & Slower)

Old 01-12-2009, 02:48 PM

[quote=singerron]I like the looks of this Quaker City Raceway weekend. It looks like a lot more fun than sitting under a tarp at a car show. It appears to be only for Mopars. quote]

Hey Ron, it's too bad we can't bring our "other" 2 seaters, isn't it?

Old 01-13-2009, 09:46 AM

Yea, I guess our cars, old and new, just don't have enough doors on them.

Old 01-18-2009, 07:37 PM

Originally Posted by +fireamx
Did I read this correctly? Only SRT6 Crossfires are welcome?
I live 40 minutes away from Quaker City, but if I can't run my NA car there, I probably wouldn't waste my time to go.
Originally Posted by +fireamx
It's a stock "NA" 6 spd. Like everybody else's Crossfire. Faster than a "stock" Prowler.
BRING IT!!! Pass the word that both Crossfire and Crossfire SRT invited.

Originally Posted by singerron
I like the looks of this Quaker City Raceway weekend. It looks like a lot more fun than sitting under a tarp at a car show. It appears to be only for Mopars. If that is true it would be great to not have to listen to any ricers. It also looks like there is a class you could run without roll bars or cages. I also think it would make a great GTG. Anybody know how many cars they had last year?

"LX & Beyond (Open) Bracket Racing" - Bracket Racing (All participant vehicles allowed)
Bracket Classes: (11.49 & Quicker)(11.50 to 12.99)(13.00 & Slower)
Only Modern Mopars invited.

Last year's attendance was around 230 just LX-platform vehicles, so it should be even bigger this year!

Old 01-31-2009, 06:01 AM
Exclamation Reminder: Keep an eye on post #1-6 for updates

Just wanted to post up a quick reminder for everyone to keep an eye on post #1-6 for updates on the main thread. We will post updates within the thread, but if you happen to miss something and don't want to sift thru pages of conversation then that is the best and quickest way to find what you are looking for. Most of the underlined titles or words are links which will take you to additional info as well. Check them out.

Additionally, anybody that starts a caravan thread please let me know so that I can add it to post #2 and help you round up more people for your caravan group. If you don't see a caravan started for the area you will be departing one then start a thread and you'll have a caravan before you know it.

HOTEL ROOMS - The Holiday Inn - South Youngstown: All 158 rooms (S/D) until February 28th at the rate of $119.99/per night. Any rooms already booked will be adjusted to reflect the discounted rate. March 1, 2009 - June 15, 2009 the rate will increase to $129.99/per night. Don't wait until the last minute to book these rooms, nearly half of them are already gone.

The 18th of each month we'll hit you with updates on the event. That way everybody knows when to expect to see more info. If you have questions/concerns not answered you know you should see some feedback by the 18th. Some announcements may be too BIG to wait for the 18th, so we might update sooner. Keep an eye on the thread!!!

Anthony

Old 02-06-2009, 08:11 AM
Exclamation 2009 LX & BEYOND NATS Tentative Schedule

Tentative schedule has been posted. Check it out!

2009 EVENT SCHEDULE

This is not final yet, but we wanted to give everyone an idea of how the schedule is shaping up and also some of the caravan coordinators have been asking so they know when to get here and when they can plan on heading home.

Is it July yet?

Last edited by turbobuckeye; 02-06-2009 at 08:14 AM.
Old 02-13-2009, 06:03 AM
Lightbulb A little more history about the founders of the LX NATS

Originally Posted by Top_Fuel
I haven't been to Quaker City since 1988. They used to host an annual event back in the mid-late 80s called the "Supercar Showdown." It was all stock musclecars competing against each other. It was a huge deal.
Originally Posted by Turbobuckeye
You are correct. The promoter of that very same event was also the founder of the original NMCA (National Muscle Car Association) and he is now the co-promoter of the LX & BEYOND NATIONALS, Chuck Green.
Originally Posted by Top_Fuel
I still have video tapes of the SuperCar Showdown they used to sell...and Chuck is in both of them! I still watch them once or twice a year. It's great to watch these guys hammer on cars that are probably worth too much money to drive now. I may have to make the drive up to Quaker City again. If Chuck is promoting it, I'm sure it will be a top-notch event.
Originally Posted by Turbobuckeye
We look forward to seeing you make your homecoming trip back to Quaker City Raceway. I will be sure to pass on the kind words to Chuck. Thank you!!!
For those of you that don't know. I asked Chuck to help me with the LX NATS not only because he was an LX and Mopar enthusiast but he also had very successfully organized and run racing events for many years long before the LX-platform was born.

You'll never catch him tooting his own horn so I'm gonna do a little bit for him and lay out a little history on one of the co-founders of the LX NATS. Known to many, he was the person that originally started the NMCA-National Muscle Car Association (1985-1991). During this time as a drag racing enthusiast, promoter, mentor and friend to many he promoted events which were covered in 32 magazines; 17 which were front covers.

Do a google/internet search for "Chuck Green", "Car Craft Magazine", "Super Showdown" and you will see what I'm talking about. Chuck has been around drag racing a long time and continues to help new and upcoming enthusiasts get even better. If you have never drag raced before or just want to pick his brain about how to improve your times I'm sure he would be happy to help anyway he can.

See ya'll in JULY!!!

Old 02-13-2009, 08:45 PM

Originally Posted by oledoc2u
I have the same problem as RIOT. I am installing new roll bars, but no cage. I am trying to pass an inspection for a road course I want to run on...but hey, I might do the trip for the show part, and make a 1 pass. What do you think RIOT?.... pickin' on us 'verts...
Soooo what your saying is your factory roll bar in the roadsters isn't good enough for the tracks inspections???? Squirrel Crusher

Old 02-13-2009, 11:10 PM

Originally Posted by Squirrel Crusher
Soooo what your saying is your factory roll bar in the roadsters isn't good enough for the tracks inspections???? Squirrel Crusher
There's a reason they're called "Sports Bars" and not "roll bars", and obviously the track tech's know it.

Old 02-18-2009, 09:53 PM
Exclamation Better Late Than Never....I Know, Today is the 18TH!!!

TIME FOR THE 18TH UPDATE:

T-SHIRT:
We are planning to do an official event t-shirt again this year. As we have always done in the past, ONLY forum members/vendors that are planning to attend the event will be eligible to submit pictures to be featured on this year's shirt. Both vendors and forum members are eligible to submit images for entry. We have already selected the Magnum and Charger owners to be featured this year, but we are still looking for entries for a modified Chrysler 300/300C and Dodge Challenger. If you are interested, please PM or e-mail turbobuckeye (Anthony) for details.

GATE FEES:

$100.00 - Racing (Car/Driver) / $60.00 - Car Show (Car/Driver) - - - - - for entire weekend

$10.00 (Per Day) - spectators, passengers and children 13 and over.

We understand the sensitive environment of the economy and for this reason we are NOT taking any registration fees up-front this year from racing and carshow participants. Everyone planning to enter the carshow or racing competitions will pay their entry fees at the gate this year. Chuck and I discussed this prior to the announcement of the 09 event and we are very much looking forward to seeing everyone this year but also did not want to add to any hardships you may be addressing during the early months of 2009. Hopefully, this will allow everyone to plan and save up for the event but also take care of other financial responsibilities that need your attention, as well as complete some knock-out modifications before the event!!!

WHO IS COMING:
We are officially 5 months away from the kickoff of the 2009 LX & BEYOND NATIONALS so we think its time to get the attendee list rolling so everyone can see who is coming, where they're coming from and what they are bringing? Post up in this thread or HERE to get your name added to the attendee list.

Racing Rules and Information:
  • All winners will be announced on Sunday, July 19th at the Event.
  • All facility rules apply and will be enforced by track employees during the event.
  • Drivers must have all the proper safety equipment including apparel designated by the track's sanctioning body.
  • Multiple vehicles registered by one person are allowed but there must be a driver for each vehicle. One Car, One Driver!
  • Vehicles allowed to race side by side are determined by track rules
  • All races will be run on a FULL .500 TREE
  1. Class Rules for No Limit - Quick 16 Competitions at LX & BEYOND NATIONALS Event (July 18-19, 2009):
    • This is a heads-up style drag racing class designed to attract a large variety of late-model Mopar-powered LX- and LC-platform vehicles ONLY
    • Developed for all 2005-newer Chrysler/Dodge-bodied cars using a late-model Mopar-style power plant.
    • All Mopar based engines are allowed.
    • This will be an ALL RUN qualifying format.
    • A Sportsman ladder will determine running order based off Saturday qualifying round.
    • All vehicles MUST pass track sanctioning body rules (IHRA) for ET and speed. Only exceptions are decided by track.
    • All vehicles will get a minimum of two (2) qualifying pass (3 if time allows) on Saturday. That will determine your ladder position by ET and MPH (if we have a tie on ET).
  2. Class Rules for Naturally Aspirated - Quick 16 Competitions at LX & BEYOND NATIONALS Event (July 18-19, 2009):
    • This is a heads-up style drag racing class designed to attract a large variety of late-model Mopar-powered LX- and LC-platform vehicles ONLY
    • Developed for all 2005-newer Chrysler/Dodge-bodied cars using a late-model Mopar-style power plant.
    • Only late-model Mopar-based engines are allowed.
    • All vehicles MUST pass track sanctioning body rules (IHRA) for ET and speed. Only exceptions are decided by track.
    • A Sportsman ladder will determine running order based off Saturday qualifying round.
    • All vehicles will get a minimum of two (2) qualifying pass (3 if time allows) on Saturday. That will determine your ladder position by ET and MPH (if we have a tie on ET).
  3. Class Rules for No Limit (Other) - Quick 16 Competition at LX & BEYOND NATIONALS Event (July 18-19, 2009):
    • This is a heads-up style drag racing class designed to attract a large variety of late-model Mopar-powered vehicles.
    • Open to any year Chrysler/Dodge/Jeep/Plymouth-bodied car or truck using a Mopar power plant.
  4. Class Rules for Bracket Racing Competition at LX & BEYOND NATIONALS Event (July 18-19, 2009):
    • A Sportsman ladder will determine running order based off Saturday qualifying round, closest to dial-in without exceeding.
    • Delay boxes, cross-over boxes, or any "reaction-time related" electronic bracket racing aids prohibited in this class. Throttle stops and all related throttle-stop type accessories prohibited. Trans brake permitted.
    • All vehicles will get a minimum of two (2) qualifying pass (3 if time allows) on Saturday. That will help you select your Dial-In Time or your ET.
CLASS DESIGNATIONS/BRACKET:
Bracket classes are outlined as follows:
A Bracket: 11.49-Quicker
B Bracket: 11.50-12.99
C Bracket: 13.00 - Slower

HEADQUARTERS HOTEL:
There are still a handful of rooms available at the The Official Headquarters Hotel. Don't forget that the $119.99/per night rate is only good for rooms booked by February 28th. After that date, the rate will increase to $129.99/per night which does not seem like a big of a deal but could be a substantial difference for those of you arriving a day earlier and staying for the entire weekend.

STAY TUNED:
More details still coming. A lot of items are in the works that we REALLY want to tell you about but are not ready for print just yet. We will announce more as soon as we get the green light from the parties involved.

Thank you again to everyone for your support and everyone behind the scenes helping to make the 2009 LX NATS possible. Keep bumping those threads, get those caravans organized, encourage those vendors and spread the word because this is going to be a FUN event for EVERYONE this year!!!

Anthony Carter and Chuck Green
LX & BEYOND NATIONALS
Founders

Old 02-19-2009, 11:31 AM
She can ride with me ;)

$100 to race!?!?! I gotta change my pants now. It's normally $25.

Old 02-19-2009, 02:31 PM
Wink Re: 2009 Drag Racing at Quaker City Raceway

$100 to race!?!?! I gotta change my pants now. It's normally $25.
Hi Tom,
A couple of things to keep in mind when evaluating the cost for racing:

(1) This event is not being run by QCR although their staff will be there to assist. Its not their normal $25 weekend bracket competition.
(2) The LX NATS is a national event so the attendees and competition will be from across the country not just local area people.
(3) Prizes/awards are a direct result of entries fees paid by the competitors. Not sure what you win from QCR with their normal $25 entry but here is an idea of what kind of awards we give away at the LX NATS: http://www.lxforums.com/board/showpo...&postcount=595

Old 02-20-2009, 09:50 AM
She can ride with me ;)

I figured that would be the response, and I understand it. That still doesn't take away the sticker shock though.

The normal race prizes there are a couple hundred bucks (maybe $300 on a good night?) - it varies with how many attend. I never win, so I don't really know. I just pay to make as many runs as I can get.

Normally I wouldn't race at a national event - too many heavy hitters and too many people racing gives you too few runs at the track. But it is at my "home" track and I feel obligated to show off what a Crossfire can do, especially to a national audience. I know I won't win anything, which is why I chafe at the $100 fee. Still I'll probably do it anyway.

Old 02-20-2009, 10:17 AM

I figured that would be the response, and I understand it. That still doesn't take away the sticker shock though.

The normal race prizes there are a couple hundred bucks (maybe $300 on a good night?) - it varies with how many attend. I never win, so I don't really know. I just pay to make as many runs as I can get.

Normally I wouldn't race at a national event - too many heavy hitters and too many people racing gives you too few runs at the track. But it is at my "home" track and I feel obligated to show off what a Crossfire can do, especially to a national audience. I know I won't win anything, which is why I chafe at the $100 fee. Still I'll probably do it anyway.
All the 5.7 and 6.1 HEMI folks will definitely come out and show their stuff. I know last year the racing V6 cars was a bit lacking though so the "All Mopar" race and the bracket classes are most definitely up for grabs.

I agree with you though. This is the perfect stage to show everybody what the Crossfire can do. Its by far probably one of the most over-looked Modern Mopar performance vehicles out there. Most people have no idea what they are capable of doing so I think there will be a lot of stunned faces when folks see them run side-by-side with the LX cars.

Old 02-20-2009, 12:23 PM
She can ride with me ;)

Yeah, as long as I can smoke a few Hemis and turn a few heads, I suppose that's worth the $100 right there.

Old 02-20-2009, 04:23 PM

OK, if any of you got turned off by the $100 entry fee, just look at it this way.
If you start saving $.68 per day, until July 18th., you'll have almost enough.
Works for me.

Quick Reply: 2009 Drag Racing at Quaker City Raceway