Racing The place to talk about autocrossing, road and drag racing.

Cut springs in action

Old 06-17-2010, 06:44 PM
Received 22 Likes on 18 Posts
Default Cut springs in action

I spent my Sunday at the go kart track where I quantify my suspension modifications. I ran my best times ever with cut SRT-6 springs. I believe that I'm not even close to reaching the limits of the cars capabilities on the track but after a few spins with the Eibach's I'm a little spooked and slowly upping the corner speeds. My best time with the Eibach's was 59.4 and my best time on Sunday with the stock cut SRT-6 springs was 57.7. I had 4 heats and each heat I got faster. I left early because a rear tire was loosing air at the rate of 10 lbs. each session but if I stayed I would have lowered my times even more. Turns out I picked up a nail the size of the Eiffel Tower. You can see the extent of roll and dive under braking. I don't think it's bad at all. One video taken from outside and one from my slowest session from my car. I hope you enjoy the videos.

Les

YouTube - Sabana Seca 6-13-10 (10)

YouTube - 10

Old 06-17-2010, 07:44 PM
Received 14 Likes on 11 Posts
Default Re: Cut springs in action

Wow that's a big improvement....car looks good on the track, being smooth is the fastest way around and it certainly looks like you're hitting your marks consistently...way to go

Old 06-17-2010, 08:00 PM

Thanks! I'm learning to trust the car again and gaining confidence. As the laps went by I got better and better at hitting my marks. The heats are so short that the tires don't get hot and up to pressure until the last 2 laps which I think you can tell. And each heat I got faster as well. I think I need a stiffer spring on the front and the rear springs are a touch bouncy but seem to be right on the money. I'm pleased with the car and think it's a better idea to improve the driver before making any more changes.

Les

Old 06-17-2010, 08:06 PM
Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Nice run!

I take it you had very little to say to the "Cube" driver at the end?

Old 06-17-2010, 08:14 PM

Thats a highly modified economy car! It was the last lap so I just slowed down and watched. He's a real nice guy that owns a tire store somewhere in the interior. Some of those little cars (not his) can keep the speed up in the corners and because the track is not an acceleration or braking track, they do better than you would expect.

Les

Old 06-17-2010, 09:06 PM

Originally Posted by velociabstract
Thats a highly modified economy car! It was the last lap so I just slowed down and watched. He's a real nice guy that owns a tire store somewhere in the interior. Some of those little cars (not his) can keep the speed up in the corners and because the track is not an acceleration or braking track, they do better than you would expect.

Les
Oh, I figured t was something like that- just pulling your chain. Most folks don't realize this ain't the interstate-manners count and don't get mad. Unless he's really wasting your track dues! Then get mad.

Not only was that a nice, flat run, can you point to any threads that involve folks cutting (1/2 coil or 3/4"-1" sprung height) N/A springs? The Eibach and other set/kits are just too low for me. And I'm big!

Old 06-17-2010, 09:18 PM

I don't know of anybody who's cut the N/A springs. You could put in dot 1 pads all around which would lower the car 4mm in the front and 8 mm in the rear. Or you could put in Eibach's with dot 5 pads. The Eibach's ride real nice, but they were not good at the track.

Les

Old 06-17-2010, 09:30 PM

I don't know of anybody who's cut the N/A springs. You could put in dot 1 pads all around which would lower the car 4mm in the front and 8 mm in the rear. Or you could put in Eibach's with dot 5 pads. The Eibach's ride real nice, but they were not good at the track.

Les
That's what I understood. I wouldn't mind a stiffer ride, but 1" and 1/14" is too much for me.

Keep thinkin'!

Old 06-21-2010, 07:16 PM

You may be interested to know that the Subaru's are usually faster than me at this particular track. On this day, not one Suby was faster than my SRT-6. I can't say the same about a certain grey EVO. He must have 450 or more to the wheels. Wicked fast.

Les

Old 06-21-2010, 07:29 PM
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

You are doing great man, keep up the good work!

Old 06-21-2010, 07:56 PM

My confidence is real high right now. I'm super excited about the next Solo 1 event in Salinas because I was faster at the go kart track than the cars that usually beat me at the Salinas track. Not to mention that my instructor from the PCA told me he thought my car was faster than his GT-3! Take that!!! I rode in his Porsche and my car is faster in the lower rpm's but that thing of his pulls hard from 5000 and up. (red line is over 7000) And the rear grip, even with the P-Zero's is real impressive. But now I have a reachable goal. I really want to participate in another driving school asap. He showed me what was attainable and frankly, I had no idea. Next I want to drive with Jane! Even though I doubt it will ever happen.
Oh, thanks Mrphotoman. Did I mention that I passed some Cayman S's twice during the driving school? YES YES YES! Ok back to acting my age. I learned a lot and applied it.

Les

Old 06-21-2010, 08:09 PM
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

My confidence is real high right now. I'm super excited about the next Solo 1 event in Salinas because I was faster at the go kart track than the cars that usually beat me at the Salinas track. Not to mention that my instructor from the PCA told me he thought my car was faster than his GT-3! Take that!!! I rode in his Porsche and my car is faster in the lower rpm's but that thing of his pulls hard from 5000 and up. (red line is over 7000) And the rear grip, even with the P-Zero's is real impressive. But now I have a reachable goal. I really want to participate in another driving school asap. He showed me what was attainable and frankly, I had no idea. Next I want to drive with Jane! Even though I doubt it will ever happen.
Oh, thanks Mrphotoman. Did I mention that I passed some Cayman S's twice during the driving school? YES YES YES! Ok back to acting my age. I learned a lot and applied it.

Les
lol d@mn it now i have to rethink buying one of those cayman s's!

your kickin some major butt at the track, i cant wait to see your next vid!

Old 06-21-2010, 08:24 PM

Well, don't get the wrong idea, the other students were really first timers and while I was a first timer for a driving school, I've been on the track before perfecting my bad habits. But the instructors were all sitting around during the lunch break guessing how many HP I have. When I told them 330 they looked at me like I was the biggest liar in the world. They were talking 400 at least. I think the low end torque really threw them. (My best dyno is 290 on a mustang dyno) The gentleman with a new Porsche Panamera was like, d@mm, I shoulda bought a Chrysler! Get some proper tires and alignment on yours and you wont' believe the G's you can pull with your Crossfire, that is unless you have Eibach's.

Les