Racing The place to talk about autocrossing, road and drag racing.

Driving School

Old 05-17-2004, 11:50 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Driving School

I am updating this post with more information on the drive your own car on a road course scenario.

There is a driving school at Willow Springs Raceway near Lancaster, CA. that offers various driving schools on this 1.8 Mile road course. A one day course is $695 using their car, $495 if you use your own. Please keep in mind that this is a driving school that does offer high performance driving instruction. An INSTRUCTOR is in the vehicle with the driver when on the track. Drivers are not allowed to race each other, the pace of instruction is dependent on the driver's ability, and when/if passing occurrs it is done in a very controlled setting with the instructors in each vehicle aware of what the other vehicle's intentions are. The school recommends an increased air pressure setting that will be a stiff in the seat, but will prevent the tires from rolling and wearing the edges. This same school just did a media presentation with Chrysler and some media people reviewing an SRT.

Details at www.raceschool.com

So if we could book a bunch of us for the same class it could be very cool. . . . .

XFIRE owners in other areas may want to check with their local race track.

Old 05-18-2004, 07:37 AM
Forum Regular

I've done a lot of road racing over the years. I couldn't keep up with the expense of track fees, tires, gas, broken parts, etc.

For those of you considering taking your crossfire out there, make sure you understand, if you plan on using those factory tires, they will be no good after the event.

Ok I know I'm going to get flamed for the above, sure there will be some tread left, but the excessive heat from taking all those turns hard, will break down the compound of the tire. Resulting in a fast dry rot and minimal traction.

My suggestion is to use there cars. In the event you go off course, hit something, someone, you won't be crying about your Crossfire. I've seen 100k+ vipers go straight into walls. VW's flip and roll several times. Hell I've even went off course and luckily didn't hit anything.

I've always wanted to run Laguna Seca. Especially that cork screw!!! I just wouldn't do it with any car I have right now.

I wish I was in California Had a sponsor and a kick *** race car!

Old 05-24-2004, 06:53 PM

Originally Posted by DFWSBR
I've always wanted to run Laguna Seca. Especially that cork screw!!! I just wouldn't do it with any car I have right now.

I wish I was in California Had a sponsor and a kick *** race car!
A year or so back, my wife bought me the 1/2 day racing class at Laguna Seca Skip Barber uses an open wheel car powered by a Neon motor, lots of power for a car with no weight.

I had a great time, the cork screw was awesome.

The class wasn't cheap, but worth every penny. Now all I have to do is convince my wife to buy me the 3 day racing class :wink:

Old 05-24-2004, 07:14 PM
Default Re: Driving School

Originally Posted by berklund
I am updating this post with more information on the drive your own car on a road course scenario.

There is a driving school at Willow Springs Raceway near Lancaster, CA. that offers various driving schools on this 1.8 Mile road course. A one day course is $695 using their car, $495 if you use your own. Please keep in mind that this is a driving school that does offer high performance driving instruction. An INSTRUCTOR is in the vehicle with the driver when on the track. Drivers are not allowed to race each other, the pace of instruction is dependent on the driver's ability, and when/if passing occurrs it is done in a very controlled setting with the instructors in each vehicle aware of what the other vehicle's intentions are. The school recommends an increased air pressure setting that will be a stiff in the seat, but will prevent the tires from rolling and wearing the edges. This same school just did a media presentation with Chrysler and some media people reviewing an SRT.

Details at www.raceschool.com

So if we could book a bunch of us for the same class it could be very cool. . . . .

XFIRE owners in other areas may want to check with their local race track.
Check out Buttonwillow, http://www.buttonwillowraceway.com/ it's between Lancaster and the SF bay area.

Old 05-25-2004, 08:44 AM

DFWSBR- I'm sure what you describe may be true for RACE conditions. But I think CLASS would be different.

So, out of curiosity, I asked the following:

Q: For my own car. How much wear and tear on the tires? I have heard some horror stories.
A: Depending on your driving abilities and the type of tire you
have on your car you shouldnft wear much if you are using a higher mileage tire. High tire wear is created from over driving or pushing to the limit lap after lap. Michigan Int'l Speedway is not a tire wear track.

Q: and how safe is the class driving...What could be the top speed at MIS for the perf class?
A: You are assigned an in-car instructor at all times. We start at lower speeds and progress as your instructor sees improvement. Day 1 will be basic track familiarization and car control. Day 2 you will work on smoothness and maximizing your skills.

Looking forward to seeing you at Michigan.
Dan Schmitt
Director Track Time Performance Driving School

BTW here is couple more class where you can take your own car.
www.tracktime.com
www.speedtrialusa.com

Old 05-30-2004, 11:46 AM
Default WSIR

Took the Fast Lane High Performance Driving class at Willow Springs this weekend What a BLAST. Good instruction from a great bunch of guys who really love racing. Lots of track time both solo and with a BRAVE!!!! instructor riding with you. You can drive their race preped Toyotas or your own car. Since I don't plan to buy a Toyota soon, I took the XFire. There were Corvettes, Porches, BMWs, Mustangs & several other makes there. The only one the instructors wanted to drive was the XFire. Rode with an instructor for a few amazing laps. He was very impressed with the car- I was glad I brought a change of underwear A couple of other instructors rode with me and they all just raved about how great the car handled (these are the guys that drive the race Toyotas every day). People from other classes were coming over & taking pictures & video of the car. Did I mention that I had a BLAST? Got compliments from several other class members (the one's who had to move over to let me by :twisted: ) I never found the actual limit of it's abilities (thank God) but I sure learned a lot about the car and my limits. Feel I'll be a safer driver and better able to drive within my abilities. If you have the chance, go drive it on a race course. It's worth the money and the grin will last for weeks.

Old 05-31-2004, 03:54 PM

Thanks for posting the info.

Do you have any comments on vehicle and /or tire wear?

Old 06-01-2004, 11:07 AM

The course we used was 11 turns (I think) and pretty tight. Turn 1 was a high speed, sweeping right hander. From the last turn, down the front straight, to turn 2 I was able to reach about 90. Hard on the brakes for turn 2, a very tight right (about 25mph). Since this was my first attempt to drive a real race course I had trouble co-ordinating braking, shifting, looking for turn in point, looking for apex (and breathing). Discovered that it pulled so good in 3rd there was no need to downshift to 2nd for even the slowest corners. Probably could have gone faster if I did shift, but my old brain couldn't keep up with all that. Shifted from 3rd to 4th on the straight, then back to 3rd for the rest of the course. There was absolutely no brake fade even after 20 consecutive hot laps. The tires were amazingly quiet and showed no visible wear at the end. I'm sure there is some. Didn't measure tread depth but they look the same to me. Expected them to be nearly bald. Even if I missed the turn in or an apex, and was way out of shape, a little more steering input always brought the car back to the line. It inspires dangerous amounts of confidence :shock: I'm still grinning