Racing The place to talk about autocrossing, road and drag racing.

Question for Autocrossers/Racers

Old 02-11-2014, 05:47 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Question for Autocrossers/Racers

What do you do to disable the traction control system when you autocross or road race? I have been using the switch on the dash, but I know that using the switch does not really disable the system. During the last autocross, I started to slide and the traction control immediately applied the brakes to control the slide--most embarrassing! So, do you pull the fuse and does that really disable the system or is that no better than actuating the switch? Or is there another method? The SCCA rules for 2014 allow disabling the traction control in Street class. Thanks in advance.

Old 02-11-2014, 07:06 PM
Received 22 Likes on 18 Posts
Default Re: Question for Autocrossers/Racers

I turn it off via the switch. After installing my Wavetrac I can't remember having traction control intervene ……. still thinking …….. nope. I'm also a lot smoother than I used to be.

Les

Old 02-11-2014, 11:06 PM
Forum Regular

Same here. Hit the switch. Enjoy steering the car around the auto-x course by using the throttle to rotate the car. When desired (e.g. wet course) commence ludicrous drifts. Drift until next corner if possible. I really DO love sliding. XD

I also have a Wavetrac differential. I HIGHLY recommend.

I believe the stability control will still use the brakes to simulate limited-slip capabilities of the open differential even when turned off. As Les said, with the Wavetrac, I do not experience this.

Old 02-11-2014, 11:14 PM
Forum Regular

We pulled our fuses, the only draw back is you lose the abs so you better get real good at threshold braking.

Old 02-12-2014, 10:37 AM

Thanks for the advice, guys. I think that I'll pull the fuses. My previous autocross car was a 1990 Miata; so I'm familiar with not having ABS. Unfortunately, I can't install a Wavetrac.

Old 02-12-2014, 12:37 PM

I've autocrossed with TC on (by mistake) and it really hurts your time. The only exception is autocossing in the rain, then only STIs and EVOs do better than the XFire.

If you are interested in in loosening up the rear, I ran with A6s up front and R6s in the rear to generate more rotation in the back. You can also achieve this by running higher pressure in the rear (>40psi).

Ultimately it is your call if having ABS always on is worth some TC intervention.

Old 02-13-2014, 09:51 PM
cjw
Forum Regular
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Been there done that with the a6 r6 combo, ha did not work out the fast way. If you want to run with traction off that bad like they've said you can pull the fuse and loose abs but I'm gonna keep mine in, just try setting the car up differently and rolling on the throttle a little easier and less stabbing at the gas. Not to sound rude but you are driving a standard crossfire correct? If the few of us with srt's can manage with the higher torque numbers I'm sure you can get it to work without pulling the fuse. I would try adjusting the suspension and playing with tire pressure first before pulling the fuse