Racing The place to talk about autocrossing, road and drag racing.

Performance Differential Gearing

Old 03-12-2015, 03:48 PM
Received 22 Likes on 18 Posts
Default Re: Performance Differential Gearing

Justin, be sure you have a sure tuning option for the TCU before getting too deep. I don't know if any gear ratio is possible at this time. Your package shipped today.

Les

Old 03-12-2015, 04:20 PM
Forum Regular
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by velociabstract
Justin, be sure you have a sure tuning option for the TCU before getting too deep. I don't know if any gear ratio is possible at this time. Your package shipped today.

Les
Thanks Les, I already talked to Ken and we are good to go on the tune.

Old 03-12-2015, 05:15 PM
Received 202 Likes on 153 Posts

that is it,,, when we changed one into a older charger we had to use the rear,,the hubs,,axles,,
we reused the brakes,, one good thing the arms to the hubs were the same. you could get the gears in the hub recut, and run the ones you have ,
where are you getting the T C U ?

also if you move your abs sensors from the rear to the front wheels the car will always think all 4 wheels are turning the same speed at all times the reason for this is because some axles do not come with abs spool on them. haven't done this but though about it.

Old 03-12-2015, 05:32 PM
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by amx1397
that is it,,, when we changed one into a older charger we had to use the rear,,the hubs,,axles,,
we reused the brakes,, one good thing the arms to the hubs were the same. you could get the gears in the hub recut, and run the ones you have ,
where are you getting the T C U ?

also if you move your abs sensors from the rear to the front wheels the car will always think all 4 wheels are turning the same speed at all times the reason for this is because some axles do not come with abs spool on them. haven't done this but though about it.
We don't run ABS or traction control on our car, the whole system is disabled. We currently have a eurocharged TCU but will soon have one from Ken at Mesa Black Works. We also have someone that can make is custom axles with right inner and outer shafts. It's stupid expensive but if we get it to work maybe we can help you figure out a way to do it more economically.

Justin

Old 03-12-2015, 05:41 PM

Originally Posted by hustler316
We don't run ABS or traction control on our car, the whole system is disabled. We currently have a eurocharged TCU but will soon have one from Ken at Mesa Black Works. We also have someone that can make is custom axles with right inner and outer shafts. It's stupid expensive but if we get it to work maybe we can help you figure out a way to do it more economically.

Justin
thanks I got a call from Rob a week or so ago ask me about a axel for you,, i let him know the limited axle is the same as a srt6 that info was for you correct? what i am trying to say is any time i can help just call me pm'd my cel to you. jim

Old 03-12-2015, 05:45 PM
Forum Regular

thanks I got a call from Rob a week or so ago ask me about a axel for you,, i let him know the limited axle is the same as a srt6 that info was for you correct? what i am trying to say is any time i can help just call me pm'd my cel to you. jim
Thanks Jim, we actually ended up taking the axle out of 32krazy's old slk32. It was at the shop getting some major custom fender flares (I'll post pics of those when its done, it's insane) I appreciate all the help!

Old 03-13-2015, 11:30 AM
Received 13 Likes on 13 Posts

Do you have some detailed pics of axles and specs for crossfire?

Old 03-13-2015, 11:59 AM
Received 13 Likes on 13 Posts

Didn't the 2000 slk manual Trans have a 3.46

Old 03-14-2015, 12:26 AM
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by Speedy4x4
Do you have some detailed pics of axles and specs for crossfire?
I have 3 in my truck..I'll get some pics tomorrow.

Old 03-16-2015, 10:14 AM

Like this setup?

http://www.ebay.com/itm/CHARGER-MAGNUM-300-CHALLENGER-REAR-AXLE-DIFFERENTIAL-UPGRADE-3-92-GETRAG-MOPAR/331359133939?_trksid=p2047675.c100005.m1851&_trkparms=aid%3D222007%26algo%3DSIC.MBE%26ao%3D1%26asc%3D28772%26meid%3De76a997bc6284a02abb06b04432cba52%26pid%3D100005%26rk%3D1%26rkt%3D6%26sd%3D351276351563&rt=nc

Old 03-16-2015, 10:50 AM

those hubs do not fit the crossfire.

Old 04-12-2015, 03:07 PM

Note:::within a year I will have a rear in my car, around the 371 ratio if it can be driven on the street (some of you will understand that) it stays if not i will try another way.
well it has been a year now,, AND HERE IT IS

Wednesday 4-8-15 I put the 3.46 gear set into my crossfire, so far street driven only,and only one hard launch everything is good,
to do this test i had the spider gears welded,(spool) because ,the wave trac does not fit this rear differential .
one or the other( the welding or the 346) really made this work so good that it now snaps you back when you get on it.
I don;t know if it is the welded gears, or the 346 that has turned this car into a bad *** . I tried to take off from about 15 to 20mph roll with traction control off and the tired did not spin at all, there were two black strips ,for 1/2 block, but it was all go. I let off when i hit 3 gear.. I was on my way to the track tonight, after about 20 miles of turnpike left & right slight turns I checked the tires,,,they were HOT and almost worn out, they were worn down quite a bit before i started (that's why i checked them) the ware was down past the ware marks, i turned around and went home, these were the tires ,kumhos, some of us bought last year from a member,,very soft,,softer than drag radials, I got 3400 miles from them i though i would only get about 1000. In the next 2 weeks i will be going to the track for the real test.

this test is about the diff with different gears in it, I will let you know what is going on,,,THANKS RUDY,, AGAIN YOU DID IT. TCU AND GEARS WORK GREAT. jim

Old 04-12-2015, 05:31 PM
Received 20 Likes on 18 Posts

Now, we just may have something...so what you are saying JIM, is now you have an ole' Detroit Locker on your hands and wearing out the tires on every turn...lol I can't go that route, but I hope the gearing and TCU tuning work. We can surely get someone to build a wavetrac set up with gears with a spacer of some sort... Can't wait to see the times.

Old 04-12-2015, 05:58 PM
Received 153 Likes on 141 Posts

Heck, just hang a speedway quick change rear end under that sucker. Detriot locker and all. FUGETABOUTIT !
Speedway Engineering's IRS Quick Changes

Old 04-12-2015, 07:29 PM
Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Hey Jim.. Your 346 gearing has me drooling. But the welded spider gears sounds frighten. Squirrel Crusher

Old 04-12-2015, 10:28 PM

we are working on it
and there are two ways to do it, and if neither of them work out then you will see a 1968 ford 9:,31 spline and Detroit locker..

I am sure I could install Challenger rear,, axles,, and hubs with a few drilled 2" holes and a bracket or two. and some welding into a crossfire
we already put a Challenger 391 posi rear into a charger . The charger has the same rear set up as the crossfire, No the charger and crossfire do not interchange, even though they look they would, if you go to e bay and look at the Mercedes diff. a lot of them look like the crossfire diff. but when you have 10 to 15 of them laying on the ground and try to match one with the crossfire diff it just does not work. jim

Note:::within a year I will have a rear in my car, around the 371 ratio if it can be driven on the street (some of you will understand that) it stays if not i will try another way.

What can you say about a guy tackling a monumental task of doing something (that the factory should have done in the first place) and says "give me a year to get it done." Then BAM! One year later he's testing it! Outstanding!!!!
Great job Jim, Rudy, and everyone else involved.

Old 04-13-2015, 12:24 AM

Hay Squirrel Crusher, & Doc. I had to weld the gears , without a posi (wave-trac) I would have spun the pass tire off. LOL to do a proper test i has to weld the spider gears. as some of you know I had a 178 lower crank pulley I broke it,,(cracked at the keyway) as of this day and testing I will try my best to stay with this timeline.
----------------------------all test done with my V8 Crossfire-------------------------------
test one,,, stock pulleys upper and lower with 327 gears, I ran in a row 11.27, 11.26, 11.27 DONE

test two,,, will be stock pulleys and the 346 gears----------- Maybe next week
test three,,, will be stock lower pulley V8 smaller SC pulley 346 gears ------by end of April
test four,,,will be 185 crank pulley with 346 gears---- by the middle of May
test five,,, will be both(stacked pulleys & 346 gears---by the end of May
test six,, back with the 327 wave-trac and both pulleys. by the end of June.
if this works out , Rudy and I are looking at a 373 or 391 ..

Mike I;ll trade you a rear and tcu of your choice for your hood,,,,LOL

Last edited by amx1397; 04-13-2015 at 12:27 AM.
Old 04-13-2015, 12:31 AM

Originally Posted by +fireamx
My question, Is there ANYBODY here on the forum (who is a serious drag racer) trying to develope a better gear ratio for drag racing the Crossfire?
I know the deminsions of the SLK differential (that the Crossfire uses) limits us when it comes to having enough room to accomodate a more useful differential housing. But surely there has to be some other car makers differential that could be swapped in place of what we have now.
I know Rudy would have to work his magic and talk the computer into accepting a different gear ratio, and
I realize new axles would need to be fabricated, or our current axles would need to be modified. As would the drive shaft mounts. But we aren't talking rocket science here guys.
I mean if some back yard yah hoo's can build a "Rat Rod" with an XKE rear suspension, how hard would it be to come up with a better geared, stronger rear end for the Crossfire?
You don't think those 9 sec Supras are running "Stock" 3.07 gears do ya?
Do you realize, that a SRT6 with nothing more than a Neeswings Dual CAI, a tune, (maybe a pulley) should be capable of high 10's with a 4.44 "limited slip" gearing and slicks?
It's all been done before on a similar car, I don't see why it can't happen with the Crossfire.

Just a suggestion I'm throwing out there. http://www.1speedway.com/irs_quickchange.htm
I know there's an abundance of technological and mechanical talent in the Crossfire community, I would think this small hurdle could be cleared with ease.
Mercedes gave us the H.P. they just forgot to supply the right gears for the average American "performance" enthusiasts.
Mike did I answer your question? so far stock drive shaft and stock axles

Old 04-13-2015, 04:05 AM

I think it's incredible all the time, money, and research that you've had to put into this Jim. After all, you do have a life beyond your Crossfire. Don't you? I'll have to talk to you later about the hood.
I just hope there are enough NA cars owners out there that would like to get their cars into the 13's. I know this should be a popular way to go with many SRT owners.
Let me ask you this. Assuming everything works out the way you plan it, do you think an NA car could get by with a 3.73 and an "open" rear end with some good DR's at the strip, and decent street tires for the street?
Of course I've got "limited slip" in my AMX, but sometimes the way it hooks up at the drags, I think I could possibly get by with an open gear on the street . So I'm thinking with the better weight distribution in the Crossfire, (and less torque) it should respond in a similar manner. What do you think?
Good luck with your testing, I hope you don't break anything, and try not to tear up too much pavement.:

Old 04-13-2015, 07:45 AM
Received 153 Likes on 141 Posts

Just a suggestion I'm throwing out there. Speedway Engineering's IRS Quick Changes
I know there's an abundance of technological and mechanical talent in the Crossfire community, I would think this small hurdle could be cleared with ease.
Heck, just hang a speedway quick change rear end under that sucker. Detriot locker and all. FUGETABOUTIT !
Speedway Engineering's IRS Quick Changes
Note to self : do proper research before posting stuff that has already been posted

Quick Reply: Performance Differential Gearing