Racing The place to talk about autocrossing, road and drag racing.

Hey Larry! Hey Moe, it's my video

Old 09-28-2014, 01:54 PM
Received 22 Likes on 18 Posts
Default Hey Larry! Hey Moe, it's my video

Unedited with bloopers. Second heat, first time on my Ground Control suspension. If you watch it to the end ...... ask and I'll tell.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Wute...ature=youtu.be

Les

Old 09-28-2014, 02:03 PM
Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts
Default Re: Hey Larry! Hey Moe, it's my video

10:40... Brakes overheat? Or....

Old 09-28-2014, 02:09 PM
Received 27 Likes on 24 Posts

I'm very impressed! Nice driving! My only question is did you lose your windshield surround molding(s)?? Thanks for posting . . .

Old 09-28-2014, 02:12 PM
Received 19 Likes on 17 Posts

looks to have had someone on the inside of him..... Les based on your other videos you have shared, you look really relaxed and stable, smooth steering movements. I think you like that setup....nice driving....

Old 09-28-2014, 03:13 PM

Window surround came loose so I re clipped and taped it down and what comes loose again on the 2nd lap? Yep, center section of the surround. No brake failure. I saw a GTR coming fast early on the straight. When I looked under braking I couldn't see him in either of the mirrors and decided to abort. I spoke with him afterwards and he wasn't going to dive bomb me. Still, I knew he was there somewhere and couldn't find him. The 2 wheels off. Once I missed the apex a little as I was planning where to really pressure the Suby. The second time I didn't trust the grip. I think the tires had enough to stay on track. I stayed in the gas, not WOT but enough keep in the hunt. It was a fun day all in all. I'd hoped to be faster but I'm satisfied. Now it's a matter of trusting the grip and pushing the braking points a 100 feet later.

Les

Old 09-28-2014, 05:50 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Good job, sir! Hated that the Subaru kept in front of you, even with that traffic. Good race, smooth inputs, good apexes...

Old 09-28-2014, 06:14 PM

That STI is a recently completed project that may be competing next year in the fastest class. It's got around 150hp more than me. At first I wondered if I was that late on the gas coming off the corners, then if it was maybe the 4wd, then I asked snooped around. 500 hp is what I was quoted by several people "in the know." Then I tracked him down to congratulate him on his speed, let him know how much fun I had chasing him and get intel. He arrived in a covered trailer with "Roman Racing" on the sides. We ran almost identical lap times with his best being .01 faster. Next time ..... let's just say I feel confident.

I love the feel of the suspension. My greatest asset and fault is being a calculated risk taker. I take them where a mistake won't hurt and I can learn how far I can go. And what the car does when pushed past the limit. I didn't pass the limit at any time on the video. Just mistakes or lack of faith. (testosterone) The suspension is capable of much more than I asked of it that Sunday. My next competition is the 2nd of November and my next track time the 26th of October. I'll be pushing with a different mind set in October.

Les

Old 09-28-2014, 06:21 PM
Forum Regular
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

OK so a couple of observations from the video. First, you did a great job, love the smooth hands and the concentrated effort to keep them at 9 and 3 on the wheel. I can't stress enough how important that is. From what I saw in the video I would put the rake back to where it was, I saw very little under steer and I like the turn in rate of the car. So I personally would move it back to where it was and push the car harder mid corner. Based on what I saw you can drive the car much harder.

Did you happen to get tire temps, I'd be interested in the temps across the tire to see what you need for camber front and rear?

The last thing is line selection and it is based solely on what I'm seeing in the video. The only place I see that you are really giving up time is the first set of S's after the main straight (the left, right, left complex, 3:45 mark). It looks like you are coming in too shallow and trying to cheat the corner, if you stayed track right a tick longer it would let you have a slightly later apex in to the first left which would allow you to have a later apex into the right hander which in hand would allow you to finish the right hander track right. This would allow you to late apex the final left hander which will give you a way better drive out of the corner. It looks like that complex alone is costing you a good 1.3 to 1.4 seconds per lap. I have attached a pic with your line in red and the line in blue is how I would take it. Besides that one line everything else looked great!

Attached Images
File Type: jpg
Les.jpg (643.2 KB, 34 views)
Old 09-28-2014, 06:40 PM

Thanks for the critique Justin. I'll give your suggestion a try on the 26th. I took tire temps once but since I don't have a crew the tires weren't as freshly hot as I'd like. Looking at the tire wear, the rears were new, the only area "far off" was the rear camber. Front tires looked perfect. I purchased an AIM solo, just got racerender so if I'm studious, I'll learn something and have more interesting videos.

Les

Old 09-30-2014, 09:58 PM
Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Wow Les, really enjoyed that video. It actually raised my heart rate just watching it.
Got a kick out of your "AMC" driver's suit too, I have one very similar.