Racing The place to talk about autocrossing, road and drag racing.

Wrecked the car

Old 12-11-2014, 01:38 PM
Received 22 Likes on 18 Posts
Default Re: Wrecked the car

It's not serious in the least, just sad. Apart from the fascia I have a long scratch down the length of the passenger door, roughed up rocker panel, broken wheel liners on both sides. The belly pan is still on but broken / missing some pieces of plastic at the front. I'm taking this as a sign that the time has come to use the fog light openings for brake ducts. My reasons for leaving the front fascia stock have left so .... I'm making plans for changing it up a bit. I may even try to fit wider tires on the front and pull the front fenders. We'll see where I go from here. I'll most likely pass my car off to a shop called the Race Factory and let them run with it.

Les

Old 12-11-2014, 03:10 PM
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by velociabstract
I'll most likely pass my car off to a shop called the Race Factory and let them run with it.

Les
Glad to see that you managed to hit a money tree when you went off track

Best of luck, let us know how it turns out. I have thought about brake ducts on mine for a while too, mostly because I am cheap and the passenger fog light is broken

Old 12-11-2014, 04:14 PM

The belly pan and wheel well liners (towards the front) have to be replaced. My idea is use my front fascia, build a splitter/undertray to replace the broken stock parts. Open some rectangles in the bumper ala Hustler for better radiator cooling, perhaps some dive planes, brake ducts. May turn out to be cheaper than finding the stock parts! Yeah right. Today I made a closer careful inspection. The passenger front wheel was definitely wedged against the inner fender. Melted rubber all up inside. Which also explains why I saw no smoke. My camera was mounted on the drivers side rear window.

Les

Old 12-11-2014, 06:28 PM

Money tree? More like counting years left until death. I can splurge a little now that it's getting closer. Saving is for the young. I have a margin now because I didn't spend a penny that didn't need spending while younger.

Les

Old 12-12-2014, 08:34 AM

Money tree? More like counting years left until death. I can splurge a little now that it's getting closer. Saving is for the young. I have a margin now because I didn't spend a penny that didn't need spending while younger.

Les
Smart man, I hope to be in that position some day as well

Old 12-13-2014, 04:26 PM
Forum Regular
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

How did I just see this post? I'd love to see the video. What size tires were you running, and do you have a ride height measurement for the front? SO many questions......sorry to hear about your wreck, I'm glad it wasn't worse than it was. Glad you're ok!

Old 12-13-2014, 04:32 PM
Forum Regular

I think I have the front too low and the tires interfered with the top bulges of the fenders. It wasn't a problem until the race rubber went on because: race rubber allows more G-forces under braking and the race tires are a little taller than the streets. I have 3 options now, hammer the bulges, raise the front, or both.

Les
Hammer time!!!!! Anytime we lower a car we mark spots we see as potential problems and use a marker pen and color the area. This will give you a definitive answer as to where you're rubbing. I know this info is a little late now but I guess for next time. Also we never run 10/10ths until we are certain that we are good to go. We start at about 7/10ths and check then 8/10th and recheck....you get the point.

Old 12-13-2014, 05:11 PM

I have the ride heights, as usual, I measure and record just about everything. I take my measurements on the rocker at the lowest point just behind the wheels. DF 4 3/4" DR 5 1/2" PF 4 1/2" PR 5" (without driver). The cross weight was 50/50 with driver before lifting the rear of the car. I had obvious interference on the drivers rear so I raised it. I'm guessing I also had some on the front but didn't notice. I have the video but it's embarrassing. My normal procedure is to spend 2 laps warming up the tires and brakes. Then I test the grip of the track. This particular day I decided the grip was poor. So I was careful and braking early. On the corner that bit me, I managed to get a great drive off the previous corner, hit the brakes where I believed I had lots of room and just didn't have the grip I expected. Not even close. Looking at the video, no smoke I can see. Looking at the fender wells, the passenger front reached an interference fit. Lots of molten rubber. Drivers front looks more or less normal. If you need to see it, I'll post it. It's funny what you do when things go wrong. Moving forward, with the fascia fugged up, I have no puritan excuses. Let the cutting and improvements begin!

Les

Old 12-13-2014, 05:12 PM

245/35/18 abd 275/35/18

Old 12-14-2014, 09:50 AM
Received 20 Likes on 18 Posts

One of the fears of these cars, as I have stated before, is driving the front end into the ground, thus my interest in the new suspension kits. I got to run on a banked track in St Louis and the load on the front right was tremendous to the point of rubbing. And, that kind of makes turning a problem. Glad you are ok Les. A tire barrier is certainly better than a wall or guard rail...

Old 12-14-2014, 08:48 PM

sorry to hear les, glad your ok. do you think the spring rate is too soft allowing the front to dive and bind under hard braking?

Old 12-15-2014, 05:44 PM
Forum Regular

Glad you are OK Les and that the car isn't too bad!

Old 12-15-2014, 06:19 PM

Thanks for the good wishes and concern for my health. What's really driving me crazy is I WANTED TO GET STARTED FIXING THE CAR LAST WEEK, and the world is on vacation for the holidays. I've had the car in the air a few times now and ALL the damage is cosmetic. I raised the ride height of the car myself, easy peasy with the G/C system. Next is a general refresh of wear items and some Aero upgrades and brake ducts. Next year I want to get back on top of the competition.

Les

Old 12-18-2014, 10:10 AM
Forum Regular
Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

Did you do a recent GC suspension upgrade???? Coil-over conversion?

Old 02-24-2015, 06:10 PM

The shop I wanted to use is busy. I got pissed off from waiting and I'm fixing what needs fixing myself. I got off my @ss and have the car apart. The heat exchanger that was in the car is an oval. Replaced it with a spare I had in the closet. Lots of slightly bent metal parts that some large channel locks straightened. The belly pan is toast. Perhaps I'll patch it if I can't find a replacement. I purchased the inner fender liners but guess what I forgot all about. The N/A is different from the SRT-6 liner on the passenger side. So I'm going to cut and past the remains of mine with parts of the new N/A liner. I.E. a real hack job. I'll be using a heat gun to try and reform the front fascia where it was turned inside out. I removed the remains of the fog lights. I'm thinking the best course of action is to plasti-dip the fascia once i have it straight-ish. I don't know if it's been said before so I'll say it now. What an easy car to work on. The hardest thing I did all day was get the car on jack stands. No pictures taken yet. BTW. it's 77º here so suffer suckers!

Les

Old 02-24-2015, 09:43 PM
Received 202 Likes on 153 Posts

Hay Les, glad u r alright, the car can be fixed and made better. if i have any thing u need just let me know.. jim

P.S. it was in the 80's here for the last week, HaHa

Last edited by amx1397; 02-25-2015 at 08:03 AM.
Old 02-25-2015, 02:45 AM
Received 13 Likes on 13 Posts

BTW. it's 77º here so suffer suckers!

Les
Can we rub it in any more?????

Old 02-26-2015, 07:35 PM

Supercooler is in and the circuit bled. Front fascia is repaired enough to stay in one piece. The driver side inner liner/splash shield fit perfectly. After pulling the remains of the passenger side part and comparing it to what I purchased, heck, a little trimming with some tin snips and …. perfect fit. Tomorrow I'll play with the ride height and rig the belly pan to stay put until I can get a new one. No pictures were taken of the process but eventually some will get snapped

Les

Les

Old 02-28-2015, 03:19 AM
Received 13 Likes on 13 Posts

Almost there, gl

Old 03-03-2015, 06:50 PM
Forum Regular

Les,
I have a spare belly pan, it's yours if you want it.

Quick Reply: Wrecked the car