Racing The place to talk about autocrossing, road and drag racing.

Out with the old, in with the new

Old 03-30-2016, 03:51 PM
Received 22 Likes on 18 Posts
Default Out with the old, in with the new

After countless attempts to be faster with the Ground Control suspension I've decided a change is in order. A color change, all those red Eibach springs are just too slow! So I've purchased some blue Hypercoil springs to get back to what was working for me. My old K&W's are already on the rear of my car and the front is getting a spring change hopefully to complement the front H&R sway bar. I fear the rear springs I purchased won't work. It's a case of not thinking it through until after they arrived. The 6" springs in the car now are 900 lbs and the new ones are 425 lbs. The problem being the static weight compresses the 900 lbs springs less than an inch and the 425 lb springs almost 2" which leaves very little travel until coil binding. Duh. That's the reason I put the K&W's back on the rear. I haven't been able to achieve the same lap times with the stiffer springs as with the former softer springs. The new fronts are 700lb. For those interested, stock SRT (coupe) springs rates are 451 ft. and 480 rear. K&W's 640 ft and 440 rear. My new set up will be 700 ft and 440 rear. I'll be mixing, matching and crossing my fingers for positive results.

Les

Attached Images
File Type: jpg
IMG_2620.JPG (532.5 KB, 19 views)
Old 04-04-2016, 08:02 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Re: Out with the old, in with the new

Good Luck. I also adjusted my spring rates a little softer for this season.

Old 04-04-2016, 08:35 PM

I'm fighting with the ride height (not enough) and remembering why I wanted to be done with the K&W's. I sliced up some spring rubbers to use as spacers under the adjusters in the rear to raise it up a bit. They go in tomorrow. The rear has the adjusters past maximum lift right now and it's still too low. The front ……. geez, nothing wants to work for me. I have custom G/C upper perches, back yard engineering spacer and can't get the front high enough with the 700 lb springs. Sigh. I have a race coming soon so the K&W's are going in the front until I can solve this puzzle … safely. I had the rear apart 3 times and the front twice this weekend. Tomorrow I'm dedicating to futzing with all four corners once again now that I have some temporary possible solutions ready.

Les

Old 04-05-2016, 08:20 AM
Received 19 Likes on 17 Posts

Well, at this point Les, for drag racing, I would like to lower, but stiffen the front a bit. I think I just need to go to a stiffer front...say...700 range, and just a shorter spring and not touch anything else. When I brake, I can drive the front into the ground it seems. I don't need all that movement up front. Thanks for the updates. Great information.

Old 04-05-2016, 09:19 PM

Are you sure you want to stiffen the front Doc? I'm not a drag racer but I thought the idea was to let the front lift and transfer all the weight to the rear tires.
The K&W's are too low BUT the bump stops keep you from serious problems. If you split them and they fall out like mine did, then the lack of travel of the shocks keep you out of trouble. But you have to keep buying new shocks from slamming them at the end of their travel. The G/C shocks have lots of travel so if you set the car too low the bump stops or finite shock travel won't save your a$$. That's how I got into trouble with them. So, the K&W's are back in the car, with some custom touches of mine. I couldn't get the car high enough in the front with the softer Hypercoil springs. Once I buy a spring compressor for 2.5" springs I'll be able to fit extra spacers to lift the front with the Hypercoils. I'll do a pictorial for my forum followers in the near future to document my travails.

Les

Old 04-07-2016, 12:14 AM
Forum Regular
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I am following this thread with interest. Please keep is updated.

Doc, do you need to brake that hard when drag racing? I apply the brakes gently and progressively. I often brake harder on my commute that I do on the drag strip. Maybe National Trail Raceway just has a nice long strip.

Old 04-15-2016, 06:34 PM
Received 19 Likes on 17 Posts

You do at the half mile events. Not really at the 1/4 mile tracks. The roadster seems to be softer as well. But I do sports car tracks with it once in awhile, so we may have a little more abuse on them.