TSBs and How-To Articles This is for information on Technical Service Bulletins and for posting How-To Articles.

My First Oil Change in Pictures

Old 11-22-2007, 07:14 PM
Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts
Default My First Oil Change in Pictures

Just did my first oil change. I like to do the first change on any new car early due to engine wear during the break-in period.

Materials. I used Mobile1 0w40 and a Mann filter (HU 718/5). This is the exact filter that was placed by the factory when my car was built.

Tools. Socket wrench (8mm and 13mm). Filter wrench (spring type). Many members use a topsider; I did mine the old fasioned way; I drained the oil from the bottom. I used Rhino ramps mainly to take pictures of the underside. Not pictured are the wooden blocks behind the rear wheels with the car up. Never use ramps unless you are sure of what you are doing and follow all safety precautions. You can be killed or seriously hurt if you make a mistake.

1. Top of the engine. The oil fill opening is in the cover in the lower right and the oil filter sits on top just in front and to the left of the oil fill.

2. Bottom of engine. There is a large splash guard and aerodynamic aid that must be removed to drain the oil from the sump - not necessary if using a topsider. The cover is attached by four 8mm screws.

3. Sump. Drain plug is on the passenger side. I put the car back level before draining the oil. The drain plug is 13mm. The drain plug has a copper washer. Be sure it goes back on with one.

4. I used a spring type filter wrench to remove the filter. I retightened by hand only. I put a piece of newspaper around the filter cover to keep it from being scratched. My cover had marks which I realigned to bring the filter back to the exact position/torque it had when first installed.

5. Filter assembly removed. The old filter is then removed from assembly and the o-rings changed. There are 4 o-rings. The filter kit has 5. One is a duplicate. The o-rings are on tight. I used the curved end of a paper clip like the end of a screw driver to stretch the old o-rings enough to come off. I ran a little oil over the new rings, just like what you would do with the gasket on a conventional filter.

6. New filter on assembly. It is very important that you put the filter in far enough. The Mann filter has two marks (see following) one of which must be hidden by the filter assembly cap.

7. Filter showing marks.

The filter assembly is hand tightened till the marks align as they were origonally. The oil drain plug goes back in. Make sure the copper gasket is on. In go 8 quarts of 0W-40. You can add more after you check the oil level.

Dip stick. Located on the passenger side at the front. Or you can check the oil with the instrument panel (see owners manual).

FSS (flexible service system). Press the left button twice quickly with the key to the on position.

FSS reset. This is outlined in your owners manual and many places on the forum. I followed the directions and it reset without any problems.

Attached Images
File Type: jpg
3top.JPG (122.2 KB, 1634 views)
4lower.JPG (82.0 KB, 1743 views)
6oilsump.JPG (100.1 KB, 2012 views)
7wrench.JPG (116.5 KB, 1750 views)
8assemb.JPG (136.3 KB, 2035 views)
9filternew.JPG (117.7 KB, 1920 views)
10marksonfilter.JPG (71.9 KB, 1765 views)

Last edited by magneticred; 11-22-2007 at 07:35 PM. Reason: add pictures
Old 11-23-2007, 11:30 AM
Forum Regular
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Re: My First Oil Change in Pictures

Where did you buy the filter and how much? From you picture, it does look exactly
like an OEM Mercedes-Benz filter.

Old 11-23-2007, 06:52 PM

I purchased 4 filters for $56.84 (free shipping) from BenzAutoParts.com.

Old 11-24-2007, 05:03 PM
Forum Regular

If they are 'fleece' filters, which they look like they are from your pic, that's a great price. They are $18.50 + tax each at the
dealers in my area. Dealers in other areas are charging more.

Thanks for the post!!!

EDIT: You did good, they are indeed 'fleece' filters. K&N wants $16.86 for their filter...

untitled-1.jpg A6002132846MAN.jpg

Last edited by ben47; 11-24-2007 at 05:32 PM.
Old 11-29-2007, 09:46 AM

Thanks for posting the info on changing the oil. I just bought a previously owned '06 Coupe. This will be my reference when I go to change the oil.

Old 11-29-2007, 09:54 AM

Originally Posted by magneticred
I purchased 4 filters for $56.84 (free shipping) from BenzAutoParts.com.

When I went to the web site and entered "Chrysler Crossfire" in it directed me to a different web site called Auto Parts Giant which shows Fram oil filters.

Old 11-29-2007, 04:06 PM

For the correct fleece filter try this (believe it or not it is linked from the same site):

http://catalog.eautopartscatalog.com...2846&x=19&y=17

Old 11-29-2007, 05:06 PM

Originally Posted by magneticred
For the correct fleece filter try this (believe it or not it is linked from the same site):

http://catalog.eautopartscatalog.com...2846&x=19&y=17

Thanks for your help. I ordered 4 filters tonight. Do you buy your air filters and cabin air filters from them also? If so do you have part numbers or information?

Thanks again.

Old 11-29-2007, 07:55 PM

So far, I have only done the oil filter.

Old 12-09-2007, 07:21 PM

Thank you very much for the link. I just ordered 4 as well. They might want to start paying you commission.

Old 12-27-2007, 09:01 AM

Just bought all I need to do my first oil change. I'll probably buy some more filters online, and I know some people are suggesting Mann filters.

If you see the Mann filter ben47 posted on page 1 of this thread, the 2 small words printed on the front of the top read MANN FILTER.

I bought a WIX 57078 at Oreilly, and it has the same stamp. On the bottom, it has the WIX part number. It cost $15. Again, next time I'll go online, but if you're deciding between WIX and Mann, they're the same, buy the cheaper.

Last edited by JonZoidberg; 12-27-2007 at 09:07 AM.
Old 12-28-2007, 10:59 PM

Just completed my first oil change, thanks for the write up!
I liked the pictures, especially when I looked to see if the drain bolt had a big L on it, because the last guy who cranked it must have had an impact wrench!! (For those who might not know, an L on the bolt would mean it was reverse threaded and it loosened to the right) It took a few tries and my long bar to break it, and I think I'll keep doing the oil changes from now on so it gets treated right. Who knows who did the last one for the previous owner. It was a Mann filter I pulled, so maybe a dealer. I didn't have a new copper washer this time, but I'll get one for next time since this one might be deformed now.

I was unclear on how to get the car jacked up using a floor jack and jackstands, but I got straightened out in a few other threads. I ended up using ramps this time, but next time I'll use the jackstands.

Old 12-29-2007, 06:54 AM

Originally Posted by JonZoidberg
Just bought all I need to do my first oil change. I'll probably buy some more filters online, and I know some people are suggesting Mann filters.

If you see the Mann filter ben47 posted on page 1 of this thread, the 2 small words printed on the front of the top read MANN FILTER.

I bought a WIX 57078 at Oreilly, and it has the same stamp. On the bottom, it has the WIX part number. It cost $15. Again, next time I'll go online, but if you're deciding between WIX and Mann, they're the same, buy the cheaper.
If you look at the previous response rhe price was $14.15 for the Mann and I got free shipping because I ordered $50.

Old 12-29-2007, 12:13 PM

Yeah, like I said next time I'll go online and find a deal. Just wanted to point out they're the same filter so you can get the cheaper one. Next time, I might find the WIX cheaper.

Old 12-29-2007, 12:44 PM

CASE IN POINT:

Fleetfilter.com has the WIX 57078 for $9.69. If you spend $50 you can enter a code at checkout for 5% off. They also have a WIX cabin air filter, WIX 24777, for $16.73. I just bought 4 oil filters and 1 cabin air filter with $6.85
shipping. Breaking the shipping down evenly for all 5 items, I just paid $11.08 for each oil filter.

NEW INFO!!!
Fleetfilter sent me NAPA7078 instead of WIX 57078 - it's a paper filter and not what is shown on their website. I've contacted them to resolve the issue. I'll update with a conclusion.

Last edited by JonZoidberg; 01-03-2008 at 03:32 PM.
Old 12-30-2007, 07:41 AM

Originally Posted by JonZoidberg
CASE IN POINT:

Fleetfilter.com has the WIX 57078 for $9.69. If you spend $50 you can enter a code at checkout for 5% off. They also have a WIX cabin air filter, WIX 24777, for $16.73. I just bought 4 oil filters and 1 cabin air filter with $6.85
shipping. Breaking the shipping down evenly for all 5 items, I just paid $11.08 for each oil filter.
Thanks for the info!

Old 12-30-2007, 08:06 AM

So, what's so special about the "fleece" filters? And, is there any reason that a Fram product should not be used on a Crossfire?

I have an '05 Roadster with 40K miles.

Old 01-01-2008, 12:51 AM

"They" say that with the longer duration between oil changes, the fleece stands up better than paper to breakdown and clogging. With our Mercedes engine spec, fleece is not required. We are on the 229.3 spec. For 229.5, Fleece is required. We are "permitted" to use paper, according to the spec. We also can use 5 weight oil too, not sure if you know that. I plan on using 0w40 as it is available, but for my first oil change I did use mostly 0w40 and I also poured in the leftover 2 quarts of mobil1 5w30 I had leftover from my Acura TL. No big deal. In the future, I'll buy more 5 weight if 0 is out of stock.

I have looked around and I did find 2 Fram filters that should fit, but I'm puzzled. The Fram filter that seemed to be fleece, # CH8902, I cannot find anywhere except the Fram website, so I don't know if anyone actually sells it. They have a paper filter too, but it has a funny plastic top and bottom to it. I haven't crammed one into my assembly, do they even fit? They say they are compatible, but I know the fleece filters fit with no extra room for baggage. I'd avoid these paper filters for that reason.

I used Fram exclusively on my last car. After delving these boards, I found that Mann was the OEM filter, so I wanted to go that direction. Wix's fleece filter is a reboxed Mann, so take the cheaper of the two. Wix also has a paper version but I'm going to steer clear of that one, it has the same plastic baggage as the Fram model.

But I must admit, if the paper filters with their plastic plates damn well didn't work nobody would make them, so the paper ones probably work fine. I guess someone who has actually used one needs to chime in here.

Sorry for all the text- to answer your question with some brevity- the same folks that say "91 octane and Mobil 1" say that fleece is pretty nice, and it's a requirement on a higher standard, but not required for us.

Old 01-01-2008, 10:35 AM
Administrator / Senior Member
Received 456 Likes on 321 Posts

I have used the following filters. They are paper and have plastic ends.
They also come with the O-Rings needed to replace on our cars.
I have had no issues with either one.

Purolator oil filter # L25276
http://www.pureoil.com/smartlink/?partnum=L25276

Napa Auto parts filter # 1226
http://www.napafilters.com/filterloo...sp?PartNo=1226

Old 06-12-2008, 09:14 AM

how much oil do these cars use? I can't find it in the manual.

I am considering the Amsoil 0w-40. Any problems with that?

Quick Reply: My First Oil Change in Pictures