Troubleshooting & Technical Questions & Modifications Have technical or modification questions about the Crossfire? Find out the answer, or give advice in here!

V8 Crossfire Conversion Diary

Old 04-07-2009, 09:35 AM
Forum Regular
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Re: V8 Crossfire Conversion Diary

Put me on the list to become a young Jedi!

I really want to know more about these engine mods!

Old 04-07-2009, 12:37 PM
Received 16 Likes on 16 Posts

Originally Posted by faiz23
you have much to learn young jedi use the force and try to envision the supercharger on top of the airbox lol.
Please enlighten me master jedi on how you put a supercharger on top of the airbox. Last I checked, and I checked on my motor, you remove the entire N/A intake to put the supercharger on. I thought about putting the supercharger on top of the N/A airbox but I was worried that with having to cut a hole in my hood so I could close it and that lack of threaded holes to mount it would cause the duct tape I used to hold it onto the intake would either blow off in the wind or the belt tension would pull it loose. Fiaz, when you start tearing into these cars like myself and Jonny or NeedsWings or LET or LantanaTX or HDDP or kanzus, you are more than welcome to chime in but until then, read the threads and get educated. I wasn't even talking about the supercharger it's self but rather the belt routing but judging by your post, that part evaded you.

As for kanzus, who my initial post was directed toward, I am eagerly awaiting pictures and to LantanaTX, keep up the great work.

Old 04-07-2009, 01:26 PM
Forum Regular
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by rcompart
Please enlighten me master jedi on how you put a supercharger on top of the airbox. Last I checked, and I checked on my motor, you remove the entire N/A intake to put the supercharger on. I thought about putting the supercharger on top of the N/A airbox but I was worried that with having to cut a hole in my hood so I could close it and that lack of threaded holes to mount it would cause the duct tape I used to hold it onto the intake would either blow off in the wind or the belt tension would pull it loose. Fiaz, when you start tearing into these cars like myself and Jonny or NeedsWings or LET or LantanaTX or HDDP or kanzus, you are more than welcome to chime in but until then, read the threads and get educated. I wasn't even talking about the supercharger it's self but rather the belt routing but judging by your post, that part evaded you.

As for kanzus, who my initial post was directed toward, I am eagerly awaiting pictures and to LantanaTX, keep up the great work.
hey man you are much more educated in the crossfire than i am i was just teasing. I can not add info on the fabrication of it but i am sure it is possible as chuck norris was able to get it fitted on. I am not sure if supercharger is worth the money in the v6 due to the max horsepower limitation. I like the idea of the V8 as it can be all motor and give you like 400-500 with bolt on's and tune. or upwards of 500-650 on s/c or turbo.

can you remove the intake manifold and try to fabricate a mount look at the stock intake a member bought it recently a really good price on the piece so you can test fit and play around.

why spend all your money to slap on a supercharger and be limited to the bottle neck of the supercharger or the motor restrictions.

Attached Images
File Type: jpg
supercharger.JPG (26.0 KB, 94 views)
sc.JPG (21.1 KB, 78 views)
sc 2.JPG (18.5 KB, 73 views)

Last edited by faiz23; 04-07-2009 at 01:32 PM.
Old 04-07-2009, 01:38 PM
Received 16 Likes on 16 Posts

hey man you are much more educated in the crossfire than i am i was just teasing. I can not add info on the fabrication of it but i am sure it is possible as chuck norris was able to get it fitted on. I am not sure if supercharger is worth the money in the v6 due to the max horsepower limitation. I like the idea of the V8 as it can be all motor and give you like 400-500 with bolt on's and tune. or upwards of 500-650 on s/c or turbo.

why spend all your money to slap on a supercharger and be limited to the bottle neck of the supercharger or the motor restrictions.
Because for an estimated 35-40 bucks a horse and getting to know this car inside and out,you can't beat it. If you could add 100 horse to this car for less, people would be doing it every day. Now granted there are guys with big shots of nitrous but for those that want to mow through the gears and have the ponies to back it up in a daily driver and not go broke filling up the bottle and risk the longevity of their engine, this is pretty much the only way to go. Besides, this is just a test bed for us. You can't think for a second that with all the work we're putting into the electronics part of the SC build that we're not thinking about the turbo side of things. BTW, if I cam across sounding rather harsh, it was meant solely for the parodied effect.

Now back to your regularly schedule programming - LantanaTX's V8 Swap

Old 04-10-2009, 11:24 AM
Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

kanzus, Any Updates?

Old 04-10-2009, 12:09 PM

This just keeps gettin better and better !!!

Old 04-10-2009, 08:40 PM

Hi freinds,

I'm sorry for my late reply, here the news:

I received wiring harness, pulleys for supercharger, belts ..
As my original engine is off and on the floor, i proceed to test new engine fitting.
First problem I met: the V8 is about 15 cm back and cannot fit, so I swapped engine mounts from V6 to V8 and then the result is is OK: it fitted perfectly in horizontal position.
But unfortunatly, I met a second problem, it's in vertical position, the front axle carrier blocks engine to take its good position .

I noticed that the engine I got was a CL 55 AMG and not CLK 55 AMG, after search I found that the bottom are different Oil Pan are different: the CL front oil pan is bigger than CLK one.
I had two possibilities to face the problem: changing front axle carrier or change Oil Pan, but after search again: Oil pan swap was the ultimate solution, so i order it today from MB dealer (now they know me well and offer me 17% discount ).
As monday is a day off, i hope receive it on tuesday and carry on the deal.

Lantana: what about ECU pics?
keep you poted.

Attached Images
File Type: bmp
CL OIL PAN.bmp (2.25 MB, 112 views)
File Type: bmp
CLK OIL PAN.bmp (2.25 MB, 87 views)
Old 04-10-2009, 09:58 PM

Originally Posted by kanzus
Hi freinds,

I'm sorry for my late reply, here the news:

I received wiring harness, pulleys for supercharger, belts ..
As my original engine is off and on the floor, i proceed to test new engine fitting.
First problem I met: the V8 is about 15 cm back and cannot fit, so I swapped engine mounts from V6 to V8 and then the result is is OK: it fitted perfectly in horizontal position.
But unfortunatly, I met a second problem, it's in vertical position, the front axle carrier blocks engine to take its good position .

I noticed that the engine I got was a CL 55 AMG and not CLK 55 AMG, after search I found that the bottom are different Oil Pan are different: the CL front oil pan is bigger than CLK one.
I had two possibilities to face the problem: changing front axle carrier or change Oil Pan, but after search again: Oil pan swap was the ultimate solution, so i order it today from MB dealer (now they know me well and offer me 17% discount ).
As monday is a day off, i hope receive it on tuesday and carry on the deal.

Lantana: what about ECU pics?
keep you poted.
I was working on my car all day and forgot to do the ECU pics. I will try to get them tomorrow.

I was wondering about the oil pan being a problem for me as well. I have seen the difference in the C43 pan which is probably the same as you ordered. The C class has a different front suspension than the Crossfire/SLK. I have taken a lot of measurements and believe I can keep the CL500 pan on my engine but won't know for sure until I try to fit it. I could have told you about the motor mounts. I suspected that the V6 engine mounts bolted to the V8 would work. Thank you for confirming this. If the C class has the same oil pan on the V6 as I have, I better start looking for the C43/C55 pan. Good luck and keep me posted. I just finished getting my suspension the way I want it and will have my brake swap done this coming week. I am mating CL500/Brembo calipers with SLK32/SRT-6 front rotors.

Are you going to use the CLK55 electric fan? If you have one I would love some measurements to see if it can be used with the Crossfire radiator.

Old 04-13-2009, 07:27 AM

Kanzus,

The oil pan you are using appears to be a rear sump? Can you take pictures of the engine bay with no engine in there so that I can compare to the Crossfire? I am going to take more measurements but it seems like my CL500 pan is correct for my car, but I would like to make sure. your new oil pan looks just like what the C43 uses. The area of concern for me is the very front of the pan which comes close to the sway bar. The CL500 pand and my stock pan seem very similar in overall length.

Old 04-21-2009, 02:37 PM
<--- Huge Horsepower

It looks like a forum member has had success with his V8 engine swap.

https://www.crossfireforum.org/forum...d.php?p=366010

Old 04-21-2009, 04:13 PM

Hi boys I miss you lol,

I visited thred you sent, but I'm afraid this is fake, it's not a V8 engine, cover is a C36 AMG engine.

I was missing for days because of time delivery for parts, every time I need an MB part, I have to wait for 72 hours because MB dealer order it directly from Stuttgart (AMG factory in Germany) there is no stock in France.
When I got Oil pan, I discover that the Oil Pump must be replaced also, I just got it today.
So now I can start the real swap deal.
Here are some pics (I'm sorry, it's not so cleen !) :

Attached Images
IMGP1388.JPG (1.98 MB, 275 views)
IMGP1394.JPG (2.27 MB, 155 views)
IMGP1400.JPG (2.27 MB, 129 views)
IMGP1406.JPG (1.99 MB, 130 views)
IMGP1407.JPG (2.29 MB, 149 views)
IMGP1412.JPG (1.80 MB, 134 views)
IMGP1428.JPG (2.68 MB, 104 views)
Old 04-21-2009, 04:20 PM
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by BrianBrave
It looks like a forum member has had success with his V8 engine swap.

https://www.crossfireforum.org/forum...d.php?p=366010

Well I dont know about the rest of you guys but i'm thinking i'm behind Kanzus on this one.

JUST CANT WAIT TILL THE END RESULTS!!

Old 04-21-2009, 04:34 PM
Forum Regular

sweet brother more pics and more details have you figured out the electronics and ecu part. will all the sensor and lights on the dash be happy once you fire up the motor.

Old 04-21-2009, 07:17 PM

Thanks for encouragement,

This is how i will manage tasks :
Road Map:

1- install new oil pump and its tube
2- install oil pan part 1 and 2 and crank pulley (prepare supercharger)
3- test engine fitment on bay (front carrier axle)
4- install Gear box into the engine and test fitment
5- take out engine and gear box (togeather) and install wiring harness
(I have to adap harness for oil sensor because it's different)
6- put a brand new plug
7- install new quad exhaust manifold pipes that i ordered from CKS Performance in UK "www.cksperformance.com" to fit rear bumper of w209 bodykit that I ordered from autosportwilly.be in Belgium (http://autosportwilly.be/fiche.php?I...que=47&keyword=&)
8- install staff into the car after cleaning all
9- plug the new chip I prepared into the ECU (CL 55 management control)
10- put ignition on without start and make test diagnostic with DAS Xentury (also need to recode the Gear Box ECU)
11- Hope no trouble .....
12- Start the car ooooooh, Dyno, Dragstrip (and keep U posted of course )
13- then, if everything OK, i'll install supercharger, change Chip from ECU with 'SL55 kompressor' management program then restart the car , re-Dyno ... .
today I installed oil pump, you can see pics below: ECU, CHIP PROGRAMMER...

Hearing from You.
Karim.

Attached Images
IMGP1419.JPG (2.06 MB, 72 views)
IMGP1420.JPG (1.83 MB, 51 views)
IMGP1424.JPG (2.25 MB, 76 views)
IMGP1427.JPG (2.20 MB, 79 views)
IMG_3497.JPG (494.6 KB, 58 views)
IMG_3500.JPG (1.04 MB, 81 views)
IMG_3507.JPG (619.8 KB, 90 views)
IMG_3511.JPG (643.1 KB, 87 views)
IMG_3521.JPG (925.3 KB, 88 views)
Old 04-21-2009, 07:43 PM
Forum Regular

seems like you are getting some good progress done and hope you are smooth sailing. How expensive is the elctronic items such as diagnostic, chip programmer and other items needed to code ecu and adapt sensor.

what other custom part do you need to come up with and what parts do you think will be custom for the crossfire

thanks

Old 04-21-2009, 09:46 PM

Karim,

Great progress and glad to see pictures. I was wondering where you had gone but figured you were waiting on parts. Are your exhaust manifold going to work? For the Crossfire we need to use the C43 type. the Crossfire also has a different crossmember under the engine and I am still not sure if the rear sump pan or the CL pan will work. The Crossfire's V6 uses the front sump and after lots of measurements it looks like the CL pan will work. I had also detimined that the V6 engine mounts will work but not the CL engine mounts. I am anxious to learn more about the ECU once you get that done and working. Keep up the good work!

Old 04-21-2009, 11:46 PM
Forum Regular

kanzus and lantana what else do you think we would need to make the engine fit in the N/A physically kanzus has been able to use a different oil pan and use a custom exhaust. we will use a cl pan and a c43 exhaust now is that the headers and then use your own piping for the rest or how will that work. i would like to come up with a stainless steel high flow setup but would rather do that in the future and just keep cost at a minimum and just get by with parts to make it fit so can we use the stock piping after the headers.

for ecu seems like both will be similar in desolder and programming chip, this is the part that scares me and would be better if someone like tvt or let had access to tools to program and tune for a fee.

what about issues with fitament for the crossfire with the front carrier axle or driveshaft. also having a manual is that put a big problem into the plan can we beefup the gears on the tranny. i would like to get a phantom grip for the differential if we need to change anything in there.

any other ideas what about boosting in the future is it the same as ripping SL55 kompressor' management program or how complex. i think it is the electronics that will be the toughest tuning and programming and hope one of the vendors who do tuning will purchase the parts needed to offer a tune/programming service.

Old 04-23-2009, 11:10 AM

kanzus and lantana what else do you think we would need to make the engine fit in the N/A physically kanzus has been able to use a different oil pan and use a custom exhaust. we will use a cl pan and a c43 exhaust now is that the headers and then use your own piping for the rest or how will that work. i would like to come up with a stainless steel high flow setup but would rather do that in the future and just keep cost at a minimum and just get by with parts to make it fit so can we use the stock piping after the headers.

for ecu seems like both will be similar in desolder and programming chip, this is the part that scares me and would be better if someone like tvt or let had access to tools to program and tune for a fee.

what about issues with fitament for the crossfire with the front carrier axle or driveshaft. also having a manual is that put a big problem into the plan can we beefup the gears on the tranny. i would like to get a phantom grip for the differential if we need to change anything in there.

any other ideas what about boosting in the future is it the same as ripping SL55 kompressor' management program or how complex. i think it is the electronics that will be the toughest tuning and programming and hope one of the vendors who do tuning will purchase the parts needed to offer a tune/programming service.
I don't believe the rear sump pan that Kanzus is using is needed in the Crossfire and the C43 exhaust manifolds should bolt right up to the stock exhuast. I wouldn't worry too much about a manual as HDDP is using a manual behind his SRT-6 engine swap and he races his car. My goal is to just get it running and then upgrade as needed and eventually have forced induction with either a MB supercharger, HPS supercharger or a Squires rear mount turbo. I think it is important to get the engine running like it came in the car before adding increasing the performance.

Old 04-24-2009, 09:46 AM

Kanzus,

How is the project coming? I have been doing some checking as I was concerned by they guy who did the V8 conversion recently in Germany saying you have to change transmissions. I checked with a company here in the US that has been my best source for parts interchange and they said any automatic from '98 on is the 722.6 and it will bolt right up. They did say that the transmission ECU has to be programed to the Engine ECU. They also told me that my original plan for the ECU which is to have it unlocked and turned into a "virgin" ECU should work fine as once that is done the Star Diagnostic system can be used to re-associate the virgin ECU to the VIN, Key (anti-theft system) and transmission and be flashed with the proper engine mamangement program. If you decide you want the ECU unlocked instead of switching Eprom's you can get this done be Beckman Technologies in Atlanta Gerogia for about $250.

Old 04-27-2009, 05:24 PM

LantanaTX,

I understand everyone of us is excited to see how conversion project will come true, but there is basic human rules that everyone must have, I mean that the guy in Germany have to show us some photos of his work, espacially because all people who reply to his thread ask him to take off the air box cover, That's basic action, a respect, I'm sorry for him he doesn't did it up to now. OK, let's talk about our job now:

I'm ready now to begin conversion, all parts are here now, I got everything today, I got 'aspiration tube' which is to be plugged to oil pump and exhaust manifolds because CL ones doesn't suit CLK one, they are different.

Those things that makes my project late come from the delivery error, I ordered CLK 55 engine and I got CL 55 engine. The UK dealer is in 'Radio Silence' from days. I get a 55 engine, ECU and gear box, that's enough .

Tomorrow I'll work whole day on the engine, finish fixing the bottom of the engine, install wiring harness, coils, cranck pulley and gear box.
If everything is OK, the day after, I'll install the engine and gearbox into the car after mounting starter, alternator, A/C charger and belt. Then mount water coolant part.

I'll post you new pics everytime I make a progress.

Concerning electronics, the first test i'll make, is to put reprogrammed 44 pin eprom into the ECU, reprogram gearbox ECU using DAS, do a complete diagnostic and try to start the engine.

here are some pics when positionning engine on front axle housing.

How about your progress.

Hearing from you.
Karim.

Attached Images
IMG_3560.JPG (790.0 KB, 78 views)
IMG_3571.JPG (851.3 KB, 65 views)
IMG_3574.JPG (884.9 KB, 69 views)
IMG_3575.JPG (780.7 KB, 55 views)